The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, My first post here... I have a small 7 shot .22 revolver that looks very much like an H&R Victor, but has no manufacturer marks. I have completely disassembled it looking for markings. The 2.5" barrel is stamped
.22 Rimfire, and there is a serial number 113XXX on the butt. It will not chamber a 22 LR round, but would most likely hold a .22 long if I could find one... The .22 LR is about 1/8" too long and hangs out of the cylinder. The frame, trigger guard and trigger are a plum color, while the rest of the gun is blued. What do I have? This was my Father's tackle box gun, and I remember it from 40+ years ago. I am going to try to attach a picture. If anyone has any ideas on why it has no manufacturer marks, please fill me in. I would also like an idea of it's age? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson Model 1900. Might be a .22 Long, but I'm guessing that it is a .22 Short. Parts are available for it from Numrich. You can probably figure out it's age if you 'Google' Iver Johnson Model 1900 dates of manufacture.

Just FYI, these were made in .22, .32 (both rimfire and center fire) and .38 caliber (also rimfire and centerfire). Looks mighty nice for a tacklebox pistol.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It was reblued at some point. I have an H&R that has the plum colored frame. The barrel and cylinder took the bluing well just like yours did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! You guys are fast! Jim, good to know parts are available, but thankfully, it needs nothing. I does shoot, but it is not something I will shoot, simply due to the fact that I have some nice .22 target pistols. If I decide to go plinking, this is not a gun I would take. From what I remember, accuracy was not it's strong suit...

JUNKKING, What makes you say it was reblued? It has been in my possession for over 30 years, Dad had it since the early 60's, and I doubt he had it reblued. Also, any ideas why no manufacturer marks? Regarding its fairly good conditon for a tackle box gun, Dad was pretty fussy about his things, and always took good care of his tools. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If it was a tacklebox gun dad didn't fish much...mine gets crap all over it! Nice pistol.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson Model 1900. Might be a .22 Long, but I'm guessing that it is a .22 Short. Parts are available for it from Numrich. You can probably figure out it's age if you 'Google' Iver Johnson Model 1900 dates of manufacture.

Just FYI, these were made in .22, .32 (both rimfire and center fire) and .38 caliber (also rimfire and centerfire). Looks mighty nice for a tacklebox pistol.
Jim it is an H&R and not an Iver Johnson 1900. They are similar but not identical, the most obvious difference being the grips.

Here are Numrich's schematics for comparison:

I.J. 1900: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...vers-36650/1900DoubleActionRevolver-38224.htm

H&R Victor: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...74/Revolvers-36449/VictorSmallFrame-38165.htm

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
hrf - you may be right about this being and H&R, but the photo matches up much more closely to me as an Iver Johnson 1900 than to anthing that I can identify from H&R. I suppose that only a side by side comparison would absolutely identify this, because they ARE very close. My parts book only has a drawing of the Iver Johsnon. The H&R is a seven shot just as McGrew's pistol, but my manual doesn't specify the cylinder capacity of the 1900, so that doesn't help. This is interesting.

I agree that the butt looks more in line with the H&R, because my illustration has a more rounded bottom on the grip on the Iver Johnson. On the other hand, the front sight shape and cylinder pin look more like the 1900's.

So McGrew, it IS either an Iver Johnson Model 1900 or an H&R Model 1904 double action. Either way, it is a very nice, very old pistol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Guys, Thanks for all the responses. Would it help if I took some close ups of the disassembled pistol? The gun is double action. Value is not really important to me, as it has a lot of sentimental value. Dad passed in 1995, and divided his gun collection amongst my 2 Brothers and I. I have been a shooter/collector for years myself, but recently pulled this one out and realized it has no manufacturer markings... I thought it was strange. The gun does not appear modified in any way. If the manufacturer marks were somehow ground off and frame repolished, they did a great job. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
HEEEEYYYY!!!!! I think I've solved the riddle for you, Go back to posts on the Firearms Forum. One is dated 2-12-2012, and a guy has Iver Johnson 1900 .22 revolver, with pictures and questions.

Then go to the same forum for 12-02-2011. Another has a Victor Model H&R. Same thing. Some of our greatest experts have jumped in with answers to his - and yours - questions.

I found this by going to 'Google' for the search, I entered "Iver Johnson 1900", then for the second, I entered "H&R Victor". I'd bet you a dollar to doughnuts that you will have complete answers you seek. Post back, please, because I'm almost as curious as you are! Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Jim, I appreciate your research! FWIW, my gun is nearly identical to the gun pic posted by Jim Hauff on this forum on 1-31-2011. His gun is clearly marked H&R Victor and the serial # is about 6000 units earlier than mine. His also does not have the plum color on the frame, but that could be due to environmental conditions, etc. Mine does have the same serial # stamped under the left grip. I find this odd, because the same number is stamped on the bottom of the butt. Why stamp it twice on the same piece of metal? The only difference is one is hidden under the grip. Speaking of grips, his are identical to mine. OK, I think we have concluded it is an H&R Victor, but why no manufacturer markings on mine? I have attached a pic of the top of the frame. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hrf, THANK YOU! That post is now saved in my "Favorites" file. The pics are great, and the explanation that Jim Hauff gives is excellent So I apparently have one of the H&R "No Name" guns, and I like the fact that is is rare. I like his description calling it a "mystery gun". That just adds to the intrigue. The fact that it survived as well as it did in Dad's tacklebox is amazing. The barrel on my gun is 2.5". Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts