What Do You Experienced Bidders Call This?? ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 8:48:27 pm)
    | Edit | Del All What Do You Experienced Bidders Call This??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bid my max bid for a Norinco 1911 today on Auction Arms and got took (??) during the last minute by $5.

Well at least I proxy bid my max before hand. Better luck next time.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 9:01:53 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: What Do You Experienced Bidders Call This??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Someone else wanted the pistol and was an experenced bidder. They knew not to bid until the last few min. of the auction this way there was no bidding war going on and it kept the price down. Then when the auction was almost over they put in their highest bid hoping it was higher than yours.

Otherwise a seller did not want to sell it to you for that price and he outbid you. Look for the same high bidder leaving him feedback or check to see if the high bidder left him any feedback in a few weeks.

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 9:07:23 pm)
    tucker,

I think the term for it is "sniping"...lots of folks wait until the last minute, then jump in and bid.

The last time I checked, auction arms makes no provision for sniping...the bid closing time is fixed. BUT, on gunbroker, the software will extend the bid closing by 15 minutes, if any bids are placed within 15 minutes of the closing time. this is to prevent someone from jumping in. Sorry you lost your norinco.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 9:14:20 pm)
    Thanks Guys, I thought it was called sniping. I lost this one but I'll win some others!!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/27/01 10:45:23 pm)
    Sniping is an art...I never have done it, but it's been done to me or on my auctions a few times...it's a legitimate tool, but can be downright dirty too...if you REALLY want something, you have to be watching right up to the end, and on AA, you should be ready with a higher proxy, by the time the guy gets his bid in you won't have time to answer if he times it right BUT if he tries it, and your proxy beats his he doesn't have time to bid again...

I've many times seen two guys fight for days for something I listed, only to have a third guy jump in at the end and "steal" it...
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 11:11:15 pm)
    personally speaking, I hate snipeing. I have bid my max (well maybe) and then when I just knew it was mine, I got out bid buy a $, in the last seconds of the auction.That sucks, as a matter of fact it pisses me off. I watch an auction from the onset till the last hour and then "poof banned by a non bidder". "Chicken Shite"

Venting due to the fact I LOST 3 s&w Mod. 39'S THAT WAY OVER PENNIES.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/01 12:00:19 am)
    I see it both ways (often bid on things on eBay)-

As a Seller, I would want frequent bidding to drive the overall price up. And I would probably deliberately end my auctions several minutes early to prevent sniping / let the current long-term high bidder win the item.

As a Buyer / Sniper, it has a dual purpose - lack of bidding during the course of the auction helps keep the final price lower, and sniping gives me my best shot at winning it.

The key to winning any item and/or living with the outcome is bid your max (reasonable value). If you win it, great. If you don't, let it go.

Only true sniper defense is COUNTER-sniping.
    Bid early and low to establish your presence (and remove any Buy It Now option, as on eBay).
    Be ready at the end of the auction, to place your MAX bid. Cut it as close as you can.

Like cutting cards, either you win or you don't.

Thing to remember always, is that it's a (global) AUCTION - there's ALWAYS somebody richer. You just hope they're out that day.

"One Bid, One Kill"

Xracer
    (9/28/01 7:42:34 am)
    Yup, rayra....it's the only way to fly. I've won a lot of auctions on eBay by sniping with less than a minute to go. Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose......but it's always fun!

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/01 8:02:35 am)
    The sniping ain't no real problem with me. If I don't get the item, it won't ruin my day. But, maybe I need to try my skills at this!!

gpostal
    (9/28/01 8:46:26 am)
    well after having it done to me more than once there is only one way for a buyer to outdo a sniper ,become a better sniper

here is how

first you must have up two windows of the same auction you intend on snipping a few minutes before auction end

first window type in max amount ,pass word when it gets to screen submit bid "WAIT"

pull up second screen ,hit refresh learn how many seconds it takes for the screen to refresh ,say ten seconds
    wait six seconds before the time of refresh {in this case sixteen } pull up first window and "HIT SUBMIT BID"

other snipers will not be abeles to type in fast enough to out snipe you

keep this between us here a thefirearmsforum good luck!
    HTML Comments are not allowed

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/28/01 8:54:20 am)
    GP, that won`t always work. My mother is a sniper at Ebay. Her and her other half have sniping software loaded into their computer and Ebay is a perfect place to use it. I don`t care how fast you are, that software will smoke you everytime, as it can bid in nano-seconds. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/01 9:01:58 am)
    LTS. Now we are getting sophistcated! Is it free shareware!? LOL! I don't spend enough time bidding yet afford software.

polishshooter
    (9/28/01 9:12:51 am)
    Dan, aren't YOU the devious b@st@rd!

No wonder you don't trust anybody!!!!

I love it...

...you gotta remember, one reason we auction stuff or bid is because it's FUN!!!! If we were just buying stuff we needed at retail you might as well use a CATALOG and just order the stuff...

Heck, I've bid on stuff before I had NO intention of buying just BECAUSE I've spotted some guys playing games with the seller, smokes out the guys with proxy bids! Usually on stuff I know is worth MUCH more and guys are trying to steal it, I always like to think I'm helping the poor seller a little.

Only got burned once, and I bit my lip, paid the price, posted great feedback for the guy, ended up with something I absolutely didn't need and immediately relisted it and sold it, after all was said and done I lost $.50. It was STILL fun....

gpostal
    (9/28/01 11:15:17 am)
    lts it will still take the software down load time and it can be beat ,the only way it will not work is if the other buyers have a proxy bid higher than your snipe bid

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/28/01 11:34:25 am)
    GP, this software allows the user to see the auction clock run live, down into the last seconds of the auction and they are on a high speed line, you should see just how fast they are when two of these programs go against each other, I have seen as many as 30 bids in a second or less. You are able to set the amounts that you will increase the bids to win. The bids you set can start at .01 and can increase to what ever you decide.....first bid .05 over the high bidder, second bid .25 over the next highest bid......then maybe .10 over the next highest bid. You are in a direct link to "that" auction and the only way to beat it is to have the same software and have your increments set different.....very wild to watch when two or three people are using the same or a version of that type of software.

gpostal
    (9/28/01 12:43:14 pm)
    lts ebay sets the bid increments ,there is no way to adjust it ,they are automatic ,they highspeed line is always a plus

polish ,thanks for the compliment ,you have to adapt and overcome the enemy

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/28/01 1:43:46 pm)
    GP, I`m talking about the amount that has been set, just like when I proxy bid on Brand X. Like $5.87, this forces a higher bid than just $5.00, next time I may bid......$5.97 and so on. LTS

polishshooter
    (9/28/01 7:29:43 pm)
    I always wondered where those goofy final selling prices of like 59.01 came from...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.