What do you think could be the problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I am trying to figure out what could be the problem with my H&R 732 revolver. It works just fine in double action mode, but will not lock back in single action. I have completely stripped this revolver down and examined every part, but I am still trying to find the problem. I have fixed 2 of these same revolvers lately, and they now work just fine. This one is giving me fits!
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Old Gun Guy :confused::confused::confused:

2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

perhaps the sear return spring is stuck.

3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i assume you would notice significant wear on the hammer where the sear contacts it, keeping it from catching in single action mode

4. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

John,
    I forgot to mention that when I drop the cylinder down, it functions perfectly. With the cylinder in the up and locked position, it functions in the DA mode, but the hammer will only lock back occasionally in SA mode.
    Old Gun Guy

5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I finally solved the problem by making a slightly larger diameter trigger spring. The old spring would fit into a retaining hole in the trigger, but would be loose in the trigger guard channel that it set in. I don't know why H&R didn't put some kind of inset where the spring could sit in instead of moving around, which was causing the problem. I took the slightly oversized spring and decreased the diameter where it set in the trigger hole to hold it in place, and then I found that it would hold itself in the trigger guard channel because of the slightly larger diameter. It now works like a champ!
    Just thought you'd like to know. Now, my next task is to make a trigger spring for an Iver Johnson hammerless .32 which is a flat spring. Thank God for Dremel tools. If I can't, I guess I'll be contacting good old Numrich! :)
    Old Gun Guy