WHAT DOES YOUR LAST NAME MEAN???

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by rooter, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Rothhammer1

Rothhammer1 Well-Known Member

There may have been some unauthorized borrowing of the equine nature on the maternal side of my family tree, as well. Our Rogers lines are intertwined with the Daltons in and around Coffeyville, Kansas and into Indian Territory in the 1880s- 90s.

One of our Rodgers' (Rogers and Rodgers are very common names on Cherokee census records of the time) was a well known judge who died falling from a ladder.

One Shot, carver and drymag like this.
  2. Hugin

Hugin Member

Well my surname is a Silesian name, ( Silesia is the region that creates the borderland between modern day Germany, Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic).

The name means "Free" when translated into english, and was likely given because my ancestor was considered a free man, and not bound to any estate when the name was given.

So likely an "estate tied" type of name, or in this case, a non estate tied type of name. ,)

3. Swifty Morgan

Swifty Morgan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Money, greenback, moola, George Washington, crispy, hondo, Silver Certificate, federal reserve note , 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 20 nickels, 2 half dollars, 5 dimes and 20 nickels, or just simply a crispy DOLLAR bill or $ for short.

Hugin and One Shot like this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Missouri was a huge settling area for a lot of Germans from all over the German states. Unknown to me until my youngest did all the family research was that many came directly from Germany to Missouri through New Orleans, as my family did. When I learned that I figured that was why I was never able to find my surname any place else in the US. That and I'm certain some must have shortened it....for obvious reasons...lol! I always thought my family came in through one of the eastern ports and no doubt many did. Jim, my Grandfather on dad's side and all his siblings spoke German and it was more often than not heard at family gatherings. Grandpa was too old even for WWI, I guess barely but he was, and with all the anti-German sentiment in the country at that time evidently they rarely spoke it at home so neither Dad nor any of his siblings learned the language. I, no doubt along with many cousins, wish they had and had taught it to us.

Oh, Grandpa had two older brothers that went to the New Braunfels area of Texas, another huge German settlement area, but we lost contact with them for about 80 years. They reached out to Dad I guess about 30 years ago. Made contact and had a few get together's but contact has been pretty much lost again.

carver, Hugin, jim brady and 2 others like this.
  5. Rothhammer1

My paternal grandfather was a Doughboy, said he was "going over to meet my (his) Bavarian cousins."
    By the time he was trained, transported, marched through mud and stationed here & there, the shooting was over.

Anti German sentiment was rife in the United States a century ago (1914- 1918) and many German speaking communities faced prejudice and discrimination from those outside.

I have been to New Braunfels. Ancestors of mine were involved in founding the Protestant church there and financing the original bells. I just did a small bit of reading on the 'net about them, and a few sources say the bells were brought over by a Carl Schaefer of the German Emigration Society.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    carver, jim brady and One Shot like this.
  6. Rothhammer1

World War One anti German sentiment in the U.S.:
    WW1 Anti German 10.jpg
    WW1 Anti German 9.jpg
    WW1 Anti German 2.jpg
    WW1 Anti German 3.jpg
    WW1 Anti German 8.jpg WW1 Anti German 4.gif

That evil German Beer (and cheese, pretzels, sausage,...
    )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    carver and jim brady like this.
  7. Rothhammer1

I'm sure you know that New York was originally 'New Amsterdam', and that the 'Pennsylvania Dutch' weren't 'Dutch' (Nederlander) at all, they were Deutsche (German).

carver, Hugin and Twicepop like this.
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Yes I am/was aware (vaguely) of that Dutch is an Anglesised/bastardized form of Deutsche when used in the context of Pennsylvania Dutch. The true Dutch (Nederlanders) were Germanic by origin and settled in the coastal lowlands that later became know as the Netherlands. In this instance I used the word "Dutch" to imply someone from the Netherlands (English spelling).

carver, Hugin and Rothhammer1 like this.
  9. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I know some Blanks down around here.

In my family there's French, German, Irish, and Cherokee that I know of. Not all of it, but that's all I know.

carver, Rothhammer1 and One Shot like this.
  10. Rothhammer1

I can dig it. dutch-boy.png

sharps4590 and Twicepop like this.
  11. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

My father was Italian on both sides. My last name means "constancy" or "of firm disposition". My wife says this fits me, although she calls it "stubborn". His cousin invented the "hoagie" sandwich, or at least that is family lore.

carver and Rothhammer1 like this.
  12. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

My last name as far as I can figure. Means "pointed hat" in German. Did I come from a long line of dunces?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  13. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I was told by my late father once that it was shortened from 14 to 7 letters three generations before. But I believe it ruffly translates to "Heinz 57 of Europe".

Twicepop, carver, Kippy and 2 others like this.
  14. Rothhammer1

Your name is Pickelhaube? pickelhaube.jpg

One Shot, carver, Kippy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rothhammer1

Heinz.jpg