What gun have you bought that you really wanted but after getting it didn't like it.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gvw3, Nov 8, 2018.

1. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

The other was the DPMS Oracle. I tried all kinds of bullets, powder, cases etc. The groups looked more like a pattern. So I traded it for a XDs45. I literally hated that thing. Grip texture similar to a cheese grater and the recoil was way too much for my taste. Then I traded that for a $600 air hammer to use at work. Now I'm happy

Limbo Jimbo, jwdurf and drymag like this.
  2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I almost forgot about that Lorcin .380 I had for about a week, it wasn't an I got to have it type gun though, it was part of a package deal from a nephew in law who needed cash and offered it and a Ruger Single six to me for a very good price if I bought both pistols. The Lorcin came with a box of ammo and got traded off asap with most of the ammo still in the box, I think I loaded up and shot one mag, shot it, didn't like it and it went away as part trade on a Ruger Mark II. I still have the Single Six, my brother in law made me an offer on the Mark II I couldn't refuse.

Limbo Jimbo, jwdurf and drymag like this.

3. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

After reading numerous posts here I was surprised to find so many disappointed firearms owners. I too have encountered weapons that did not meet my expectations, however, I seemed to always work with the problem gun and come out with a satisfactory conclusion. I certainly have not had a situation where I felt a superposed shotgun made in Japan by Miroku was anything but manufacturing excellence (1960’s and 70’s) and certainly not “a POS” or “Junk”. Today those shotguns command excitingly high prices.
    Oh also on another post a S&W Model 19 has to my knowledge never been made in any calibers other than .357 mag and a small run of .38 special for police. The 19 is my favorite K frame, carried one for many years as a policeman.
    Now for my “doom and gloom” experience that I could not correct: A Taurus Lightning pump rifle in .45 Colt, would never feed more than a couple of rounds before major failure..sent to Taurus repair, came back as bad as before. I disassembled the rifle and found major variations from a vintage Colt Lightning (cost cutting? They were not improvements) and try as I might could not make it run without malfunctions although I did increase shots fired from three to eight or ten before lock up. I traded it to the LGS where I bought it as they knew full well the rifle’s history, it was sold to a guy for hanging over his fireplace.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  4. Bob Z

Bob Z Active Member

HK USP 45 full-size. Wanted one since I first laid eyes on one way back when. I never could afford one, but always dreamed about having one. As I got older and a little more disposable income, I found a good deal online and pulled the trigger and ordered it. Loved the gun, but just didn't fit my hand. It did lead to two other USP's, both in 9mm. I recently sold that 45 and picked up a Sig P229 that I absolutely love.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Limbo Jimbo and Gun Geezer like this.
  5. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

A used Rossi break action rifle chambered in .223 that was in nice condition but grouped worse than a shotgun no matter what ammo I tried.
    That was one gun that was worth more in pieces than complete.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

Johnsjx, I have heard stories of the Rossi single shot(now owned by Taurus) having QC issues as well as poor accuracy. I have a AAC handy rifle with 16 inches of barrel in 300 Blackout and what a sweetheart it is to shoot, shot my biggest Texas hog with it (400#) so there are better rifles available in that style for not much more money. Guess only used handi’s are left as the company discontinued centerfire rifles. Bean counters!

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  7. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Well it kinda depends on where you were aiming. If you were aiming for the center of the white, I'd call that kinda high. It really doesn't matter where the wad goes. I'm talking about POA of the shot stream in this thread.

If you determining this for shooting clays then take a clay to that paper, at the point you are aiming and see if you can get it through that shot cloud. If it's turkey hunting them how many pellets would it put in a turkey neck and head and how far off would you have to be to just wound one? What will happen if it is ten or twenty yards further than you think it is.

People are gonna start all in how you POINT a shot gun you don't aim it and to some degree it is true but call it what ever you want, you have something you want to hit and you are trying to shoot it with a shotgun, you are doing something to try to put that shot on a turkey head, point it or aim it or wave a magic wand, call it what ever you want but there IS A RIGHT WAY and half assed guess way to make a shot gun hit what you are shooting at.

That comb on the stock of a shotgun is your rear sight similar to the way you use a rear sight on a rifle. Put your cheek down on that comb and any where you move that bead is where that shot pattern should hit, waving it at a flying clay or setting a turkey head on top of the bead, that shot should hit the same place every single time you shoulder that gun property and pull the trigger on the same spot.

Limbo Jimbo and drymag like this.
  8. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks for clearing it up.

9. Aspeck

Aspeck Well-Known Member

My Remington 788 in 7mm-08. Bought it new off a guy that sold me 6 boxes of his reloads. Hated that gun. Had trouble killing deer with it, didn’t perform well on the range. Had it glass embedded, reworked the trigger ... still horrible. Finished up his reloads and went to my reloads... loved the way it worked! One of my go to guns on rainy, miserable days.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  10. ducati

ducati Member

I guess I would have to say my 642 S&W, that little gun wears me out. I would much rather put a box of .454’s through my SBH than put half a box through that little J frame.

ysacres likes this.
  11. Recoil

Recoil Active Member

Probably a Rossi Puma lever action in .357
    It will not feed consistently. Ejects the round fine but when it picks up another, stovepipe..... I've looked online at solutions and it shows how to take measurements and shim the right cartridge guide which I have done but still no go... It's a good looking rifle though o_O

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  12. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

My purple Ruger LC9S already gone and traded up.

Limbo Jimbo and Recoil like this.
  13. FastReb

FastReb Active Member

A Walther P99 in .40 S&W and all Glocks. Every one of the versions I have owned have been acceptable or better in the accuracy department. They've all felt fine in my hand. There was never any problem with mag release or weight while carrying them. The problem has always centered around trigger manipulation for me. On the Walther, that little hump in the bottom of the trigger guard would start wearing a sore spot on the bottom of my trigger finger. I didn't want to file it out of the trigger guard, so it went down the road. With the Glocks, it's after about fifty rounds, they start making my trigger finger sore. It's almost like the trigger is slapping my finger. I've been mulling over whether to buy another and install a different trigger, maybe from someplace like Lone Wolf or Strike Industries, to see if their triggers might make me change my mind.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  14. m-g willy

m-g willy New Member

Colt New Service in 45 colt...Very accurate,,But after shooting mostly S&W revolvers for the last 45 years I found out, that while I don't consider myself a Jerry Miculek when it comes to fast double action shooting...I can out run a Colt double action with my trigger finger...Bummer,,I was really wanting a fixed sighted double action for a woods gun.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  15. Maynard Shooter

Maynard Shooter Member

Ruger 10-22 first shot after cleaning was accurate then it was off until you cleaned. Gave it to the gun club I'm in.
    Marlin 30-30 lever shot high right even after bore alighnment traded for a Remington 30-06 pump love this gun.

Limbo Jimbo, sharps4590 and joe45c like this.