What gun have you bought that you really wanted but after getting it didn't like it.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gvw3, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Kel-Tec KSG. What a slick home defence shotgun, small package that holds 14 rounds of 12 gauge with a selector that allows a change of loads at the flick of the selector. surprising performance with slugs too, keeping the slugs on a full size silhouette at 100yards.:eek:
    The action was unreliable out of the box. The chamber had parkerizing over spray in it and not just a little. Polished the chamber, cleaned her up good, worked the action about a bazillion times, fired hundreds of rounds and it did smooth out quite a bit.
    Got it to the point it would function most of the time but your whole mind had to be on holding your tongue just right and working the slide like it's an Olympic event. I have shot 500s, 590s, 870s, 1200s and do not have trouble working a pump. The KSG was bought to be used when your mind will likely be a bit stressed and that is no place to count on a temperamental finicky girl.
    Traded it for my Ruger Bisley 45 3.75" , Good trade, was honest about why the KSG was on the block.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Limbo Jimbo and gvw3 like this.
  2. xring3

xring3 Member

A S&W auto in both .40 and .22. Sold both at a farm consignment auction. Also a Taurus .22 9 shot revolver.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.

3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Back in the day, I just had to have a Walther PPK. I found a beautiful Interarms stainless model. The first time I fired it, it jammed after the first round. So bad that I had to take it to a gunsmith. He told me that he found a small burr on the feed ramp & he cleaned it up & test fired it. Fast forward about 25 yrs. My step daughter got her CC permit & I had told her that when she did I would give her any gun in my collection. She chose the PPK. We went to the range so she could try it out & yep, after the first shot it jammed up tight again. She loves her Lady Smith. The PPK was traded shortly thereafter. To this day I can't make myself seriously consider anything bearing the name Walther.

Limbo Jimbo, ral357 and gvw3 like this.
  4. AStahl

AStahl Member

For me it was the Kel-tec KSG. I bought into all the hype and advertising and had to get one when I had the money. Got one brand new from my local gun shop at a good price. Bought a little of every kind of ammo to put through it. Kicked like an angry mule, unburnt powder pecking my face, had to remember to hold it right because of it being a bullpup bottom ejector, easy to short stroke unless you concentrated to not do so, and it was very fickle with ammo. I loaned it to a friend who also wanted one and he brought it back within a day with the same problems I had. I am happy with my trusty Remington 870.

Limbo Jimbo and howlnmad like this.
  5. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

XD-S 9mm and Keltec P-11.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  6. Fyrstyk

Fyrstyk Active Member

I bought a .357 Coonan cause I just had to have a semi-auto rimmed cartridge gun. The grip was just too deep for my hands, and I could not control the gun after recoil as the gun would shift in my hand. Sold the gun to my brother-in-law who has catcher mitts for hands. He loves it.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  7. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a Kimber Montana in .308 that wouldn't feed consistently and kicked like a small mule, it was a disappointment from the day I got it. Finally sold it on consignment at my LGS>

joe45c and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  8. AStahl

AStahl Member

A friend wanted me to share this one as well. His was a Smith and Wesson Sigma. He got one when he heard they were pretty much Smith and Wesson's copy of a Glock. He got one brand new in box with extra magazines and boxes of ammo. Sold it under a week. Trigger was bad, didn't cycle smoothly, and would jump up and to the left no matter what you did after each shot regardless of ammo. He heard they refined them after he had his but he wasn't about to take the chance...…..

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one, pretty much for the same reason. Trigger needs a lot of work but I was able to make it tolerable. Still have it.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  10. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I had a beautiful high polished stainless steel Taurus-941 4 inch 22 magum revolver.I thought "Wow"8 shots of 22 magnum power.I couldn't wait to get it but the only problem was you almost needed a pair of vise grips to pull the trigger.I had to let that one go and used the money on a better gun.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  11. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A Walther P22. Very finicky with regard to ammo. Traded it even for a minty S&W Model 18-4 .22 wheel gun.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  12. El Bango

El Bango Member

Well that's an easy one, I was dying for Ruger 77/22 and I paid dearly for one after an extended weight of about 4 to 5 months. It had a lousy It had a lousy trigger and it was about as accurate at 50 yards as a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. Never been so disappointed in my life.

gvw3 and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  13. Limbo Jimbo

Limbo Jimbo Well-Known Member

Bought new in 1973 A Marlin 120 magnum shot gun nice looking gun Very heavy weight for Hunting would been nice if it came with a set wheels . it is in my gun safe and in still in new condition .

14. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I thought you were going to say; your beautiful Winchester model 94 in .32 special.;);););)

jwdurf likes this.
  15. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Funny, had one of the originals when they first came out. SS with the black and green boat paddle stock. Mounted and old Redfield scope that had been gathering dust. It had quite a few light strikes but would do 1/2" at 50 yards with good ammo. 3/8" with some old Aquila I found. The misfires aggravated me so I traded it in on a 10/22 T/TS. Looking back I wish I'd kept it and sorted out the light strikes issue.

Shooter45, howlnmad and Limbo Jimbo like this.