The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing my first wife ever listened to me about, and remembered, was when I stated what were the only guns a person would NEED. She would quote me every time I got a new one... Here was my list. An accurate, scoped, bolt action .30-06, a good pump action 12 gauge with interchangeable chokes, an accurate repeating .22 rifle, and an accurate 1911A1 in .45acp. That is really all anyone might NEED but I would have to add a nice accurate .22 handgun. Don't get me wrong, I've got lots more than that now but for younger financially strapped individuals they must have a priority list to start their accumulation. Does anyone have anything to add that I may have missed?

· Premium Member
260 Posts
The only thing my first wife ever listened to me about, and remembered, was when I stated what were the only guns a person would NEED. She would quote me every time I got a new one... Here was my list. An accurate, scoped, bolt action .30-06, a good pump action 12 gauge with interchangeable chokes, an accurate repeating .22 rifle, and an accurate 1911A1 in .45acp. That is really all anyone might NEED but I would have to add a nice accurate .22 handgun. Don't get me wrong, I've got lots more than that now but for younger financially strapped individuals they must have a priority list to start their accumulation. Does anyone have anything to add that I may have missed?
All of them? Seriously, it’s based on perceived mission. Fighting hogs? Or fighting tyrants?

it’s personal. and no one else’s business. Including my wife🤣😂

· Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Needs change so the list changes.

In my younger years, I had my Dad’s 1894 30-30. It was all I needed for years.

When my daughter started backpacking with us we needed to carry a handgun.

And the list just got longer and longer over the years. Each of mine has a specific purpose and I have very few duplicates.

· GUNZILLA
9,319 Posts
As @APPilot stated it depends on perceived mission. If I lived along the border dealing with the Cartel as a threat or lived in Chicago I could feel comfortable with a mini gun. If I am being chased by a buffalo than my Sharps rifle. I still need a couple of hundred extra more firearms to cover all my bases.

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
I've mentioned this before. When it comes to firearms I'm a lot like the rancher who was accused of wanting to own all the land. His response? "I don't want all the land, just what's next to me".......:giggle:

Seriously guntha, that's a good list. My rifle would be for a different cartridge and my shotgun would be a SXS but, those are a matter of taste.

· Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've mentioned this before. When it comes to firearms I'm a lot like the rancher who was accused of wanting to own all the land. His response? "I don't want all the land, just what's next to me".......:giggle:

Seriously guntha, that's a good list. My rifle would be for a different cartridge and my shotgun would be a SXS but, those are a matter of taste.
Thanks Sharps. The 1911 isn't just for being practical, I LOVE THEM! The other's aren't my first choices personally, they are for being practical. I lean toward your choice in a shotgun as well, there is just something nice about a good side by side! The caliber in my list is what I would choose if I could only have 1 high powered rifle. The .30/06 can be loaded for and be a good choice for hunting anything and everything in North America, woodchucks to moose. Carlos Hathcock used it in Vietnam for the most impressive sniper shot in history in my eyes, in a M70 Winchester you could carry deer hunting, not a 30lb 5' long Barrett. Thankfully I can have more, MANY MORE! I now have .25, .270, .30, 8mm, .338, and .35 all backed up with '06 brass. I know, the .270 neck is longer...

· Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't think you mentioned if you reload or not. I'd just suggest adding to your collection by availability of ammo as well as it's cost.
"Good Luck"
Been reloading for more than 45 years as well as casting bullets. Ever since Obama became president the ammo, and reloading supplies, have come and gone. I don't remember that happening before that. Does anyone else remember supply issues concerning ammo after WWII 'til Obama? Within 2 months of Obama becoming president the shelves were bare! Who knows what the price and availability could be of anything now?

· Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A bolt action 30-06, a 12 gauge pump with a 30 inch barrel and a good .22 rifle in the action of your choice.
Hey, that looks like my list! All that's missing is the 1911...

What caliber/cartridge would you choose if you could have only 1 high powered rifle?

· Registered
4,008 Posts
It was President Clinton who presided over the first assault weapons ban and a buying spree. This originated out of Calif again with Feinstein.Understanding the 1994 assault weapons ban and why it ended - ABC News (go.com)

Your list is pretty close to what all the gun writers were saying in the '70s and '80s. Own a common military caliber rifle, a good shotgun, a .22 rifle and a handgun in .38 or .45. I doubt 9mm was even considered by most. For some the .22 would suffice. Many favored the 30-30 and 30-06. During the depression, many could hardly afford .22 ammo and so they learned to trap and snare with whatever they had around. I loved listeneing to the engenuity of the make shift snares. Like the old springs below a mattress used to tie up the antlers of a buck as he was lured towards something. Today, the market has boomed with choices. We're like a kid in a candy store. But necessity and location and interests seem to guide many in our choices. Others, just love to collect and try anything new or old that catches their eye.

· Registered
7,937 Posts

I know that rancher Sharps.;)

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
What caliber/cartridge would you choose if you could have only 1 high powered rifle?
If I could handload, 300 Win. Mag. with the 270 running a close 2nd.

Oh, and yes, the 270 was based off the 30-03 and its slightly longer neck. However, '06 brass can be formed to 270. I did it for years with no ill effects.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts