What have you bought (firearms related) in the last 48 hours?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by firefighter1635, Sep 16, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

2. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The latest thread on spotting scopes mentioned a Simmons. I checked out Cabelas what there's were costing and it was on sale. Yep, got weak and bought it. It plays really good. I'll do a comparison and post later. The pix of the Harbor Freight is in the spotting scope thread. Here is the pix of the Simmons and a fantastic carry case.

Attached Files:

3. drymag

I was going to post the link to the other spotting scope I have from the spotting scope thread but it must of been posted only in my imagination. Here is what I thought I had posted:

Attached Files:

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Is this the Harbor Freight scope? I am going over to HF tomorrow and I am going to look at theirs. I will try to get them to let me take it outside the front door to see at a distance before I buy it!

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Picked up this Winchester tin sign
    IMG_0044.JPG

Kweeksdraw, dbcooper, drymag and 5 others like this.
  6. drymag

Yes. If you can look for a spot 100 and 200 yards away and place a small sticky note w/ a black dot to compare.

Kweeksdraw and dbcooper like this.
  7. chaswea

chaswea Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Remington R1 enhanced. Pick it up yesterday. DSC_0032.JPG

Big Mak, Kweeksdraw, Bama1022 and 5 others like this.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one of the Harbor Freight spotting scopes this morning. With it being on sale and the 20% discount, it was $47 and change. Before I bought it I took it outside the store and found an object that was about 150-200 yards away. It was an extremely tall power pole, I pointed the scope at the top of it and was able to read a sign there at the top that said "64". I clarified their return police before I paid for it so if it falls short at the range, it will go back.

9. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Went to Cabela's in Indiana.
    upload_2017-5-20_14-51-55.png

Here is what I save in Cook County taxes.
    4 cases of shotgun shells $12 a case in tax $48 saved
    150 rounds of 9mm $7.50 in tax saved.
    955 rounds of 22lr $9.55 in tax saved.

Thats $65.05 in taxes saved. That doesn't include the 10.5% Illinois sales tax versus the 6.5% Indiana sales tax. This saved me another 4% of the total bill. 57 mile drive but well worth it.

Big Mak, Kweeksdraw, dbcooper and 5 others like this.
  11. drymag

Nice. Just in case: There is a small note in the instructions that is typically over looked. When finished w/ the torque driver, loosen the tension back to zero so it will not go out of calibration. I also use mine on the rifle receivers to keep the torque the same when the barrel is removed from the receiver so it gats back to same tension as harmonics can sometimes change pending barrel/stock varies.

12. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nothing special, but I grabbed a 1000 rds of 7.62x39 ammo (Russian made) from a private party today - cheap! :D

13. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I'm drooling....

Kweeksdraw and drymag like this.
  14. drymag

Downloaded another gun program: Reloaders Workshop (~$16 via paypal). There are some fields that weren't initially playing so I watched the tutorial and learned out why. The fields are now working. There are several tutorials. I am only 30 minutes into one of them (hour long). Once you download the 30 day trial, it quickly updates to newer version.
    https://www.reloadersworkshop.com/

Kweeksdraw and BlackEagle like this.
  15. The_Patriot2016

The_Patriot2016 Well-Known Member

well, I haven't "technically" got it yet, but I did just put a gun on layaway today. Went to check out a small gun shop in a nearby town that ive never been to before, just to see what they had, wasn't actually intending to buy anything (kinda low on cash at the moment) But in there, I was going through their gun collection....and noticed they had a 308 priced at $217. Upon closer inspection, it was a Mossberg 100ATR with the synthetic stock and bi-pod. Looked brand new, the gun owner said the previous owner had won it in some sort of competition and barely ever fired it so he had traded it in on a pistol. upon a quick google search and found the average online retail price going between 3-400 dollars, I just couldn't pass it up....

I liked how lightweight and balanced it felt, and the bolt, while not the smoothest ive ever handled, was very smooth for the money. And its a lot lighter then my 270, so I figured for a little over 200...id buy it, and if I don't like it I can either give it to my dad as a christmas present (he likes 308s) or turn around and sell it for a profit, so I didn't think it was a bad investment. It didn't come with a scope, but I have a halfway decent simmons 3x9x40 sitting on my desk I can mount on it without any problem, and failing that I have my old Tasco 4x12x40 i pulled off my 270 I can use. (crappy scope, can't get it to focus past 9 power, but it does hold true)

Not a high end rifle....but looks like it could be turned into a decent deer or even a coyote rifle with the right loads, and it fits my budget. One of those deals one just couldn't pass up.

chaswea, Big Mak, Kweeksdraw and 3 others like this.