What is a winchester model 94 worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by caddokiller, May 10, 2009.

1. caddokiller

caddokiller New Member

This rifle was made in 1895 and is in pretty good shape. Looks like it may have been carried in a scabbard at some point. I comes with the original factory crate. I have no idea what calibre it is. The only stamp on the barrel is winchester. thx in anvance for the help.

2. muddober

muddober Active Member

It sounds to me like you have a real treasure with the original crate and all. I must say I am a bit surprised you cannot assertain the caliber yet you know the date of manufacture, how is it you know that?. The caliber should be stamped on the barrel just ahead of the receiver. Is it a rifle or a carbine? Does it have a round barrel or an octagon barrel or half of one and half the other? These are just a few questions of many that have to be assertained to give you a reliable estimate of its value. Pictures are also a must. Values can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand depending on special order xtras, caliber and condition.

Ron

3. caddokiller

caddokiller New Member

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It looks in astonishingly good shape. You have a 20" carbine, with a shotgun butt. That butt would have been a special order in 1895. The wood looks to be an oil finish, though, and I thought that back then they came with varnish.

5. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Obviously a valuable find. I suggest you find a good appraiser and do it right.

6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Alpo you thought right. My personal opinion the gun is not original. The stock is not right. I can see in the grip area just short of the receiver that the stock is poorly fitted. Also the screw behind the lever is longer than it should be telling me the stock has been changed. The forearm wood is not right as well. Again I ask; how did you ascertain the age of the gun yet you can't tell us what caliber it is? Also there should be a lot more than just "Winchester" on the barrel. Lastly the sides of the crate appear to be made of a modern plywood which was not invented until 1933. There was some use of laminated woods prior to 1900 but not for shipping crates or boxes.

Ron

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Good eye. I see both of these things, now that you mentioned them and I looked. Plus the plywood sides, the bottom is made of three pieces. Back then they still had a lot of trees, and that bottom should be all one piece.

8. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Looks like someone is trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. :( I hate it when folks try to fake antiques to get more money for them.

The reason you can't see the caliber, I'm thinking, is because the gun was buffed pretty hard and the writing was buffed out, then it was re-blued, then aged to look like it was old, but not used much. I bet it doesn't have much rifling left either.

Get the serial number and call the Cody Museum. They can look it up and tell you the original configuration. It may take a couple of weeks, but the guy I talked to was very nice and very informed.

9. caddokiller

caddokiller New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.