The Firearms Forum banner

What is an inexpensive concealed carry weapon???

20K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  ka64 
G
#1 ·
yzingerr
(3/31/02 10:03:43 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All What is an inexpensive concealed carry weapon???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is an inexpensive concealed carry weapon??? I own a Davis p-380 and it is too heavy. I prefer .380, but your suggestion is welcomed help indefinently !! Thanks !! please send reply to YZINGERR@AOL.COM

Steel Shooter01
(4/16/02 6:33:38 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: What is an inexpensive concealed carry weapon???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first question that comes to my mind is how much is your life worth? But I do remember a time in my life where the money just wasn't to be had.

If you like 380's and are looking for something inexpensive I think you should take a look at the Bersa. It's a pretty good copy of the PPK and runs just under $200.00.

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(4/16/02 8:26:37 am)
MAKAROV 9x18.....under $200.00 and probably the most under rated pistol out there. Accurate, dependable and good power. LTS
T.F.F.

ruffitt
*TFF Senior Staff*
(4/16/02 8:33:19 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: What is an inexpensive concealed carry weapon???
If you are going to limit yourself to .380, the Bersa (like Steel Shooter01) mentioned is a choice, but I would recommend that you also look at the FEG 63, or the various Makarov's on the market. While these pistols are somewhat inexpensive, they are not "cheap" like the Jennings and/or the Davis you have (and not to condom your choice, but I'd venture to say that the only reason you bought the Davis P-380 was the price).

To agree with Steel Shooter01 again, I think that my life, or the life of my loved ones, is worth more than the price of a cheap handgun. I know it is difficult at times to come up with the money to buy a top of the line firearm, but I have found that if I really want something I can somehow save enough to get what I want. If I can't save it, I have found many places that have a law-a-way program where all you need is 10% down and monthly payments for anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

And you don't necessarily need to go top of the line either, there are many fine weapons out there that will fit your needs, all you have to do is search for them.
RuffItt

SkiingFool1974
(4/16/02 10:08:43 pm)
What about a Kel-Tec P32? They are tiny, very light weight, and unlike the Davis, are a pleasure to shoot. Through the help of people on this board I was shown the "light", and purchased one last week. I put 150 rounds through it yesterday without a problem.
Unlike when I shot my friend's Davis, I never got "bit" by the slide on the Kel-Tec.
The P32 isn't necessarily cheap, but it sure is one nice, small weapon. At under 9.5 ounces fully loaded you can't find anything much lighter. If it only had adjustable sites......
Evan

badboybob
(4/22/02 6:40:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del what is an
Adjustable sights? A Kel-Tec 32 is not a target pistol, it is a point and shoot weapon. You need to practice on silhouette targets at close range, not bullseye targets at 25 yards.

ldsteff
(4/27/02 11:43:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Concealed carry
KelTec, very small failure rate if maintained it works great an as far as an adjustable sight?Why,here in Kentucky studies done by UK and the state police say 90% of concealed carry uses are between 3 and 7 feet...a micrometer sight ain't necessary!!!

sped123
(2/16/03 8:33:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Concealed carry
I may take a beating for this but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a Hi-Point 380. If this gun was a can of green beans, it would have a white label and say "GREEN BEANS" on it. I didn't expect much for under $90 bucks, but when I took it to the range I found it to be very accurate at 15 yards. I really put this gun through its paces firing 200 rounds at an unmercival (sp?) rate. I actually tried to make the gun jam and it only misfed twice when I put a new loaded clip in it and tried to rack it. Frankly, I attribute that to the gun being new to me and not knowing it as I do my other guns.

While I may get flamed, I don't think a gun has to be expensive to be effective. I was impressed with the gun enough to be checking out their 40S&W model. I also think that this pistol is a good way for the novice to get into shooting at an affordable price. I just wish the ammo was a little cheaper. LOL

If all else fails and the gun jams, it weighs enough to make an efficient club. LOL

SpEd

denfoote
(2/17/03 3:53:51 am)
I have only two 9mm kurz pistols. Pistolet Makarova and Walther PPK. Of the two, I would get the Makarov!! The 9mm Mak round is more powerful than the kurz and the platform can be had for quite a bit less than the Walther!!! Other inexpensive weapons to check into are the Kel-Tek P11, the above mentioned P32 and the new P38T.
These can be viewed at: www.kel-tec.com/

Other, albeit, more expensive weapons are the Kahr MK9, Glock 26 class of pistols, and several fine offerings by Springfield and Kimber.

One exceptionally fine inexpensive weapon is the Ruger P95. It's a down right accurate pistol that is chambered in an effective caliber. (9mm Parabellum) It's big drawback however, is it is dificult to conceal.

However, if done right, a full size pistol, like the Ruger, can be comfortably concealed!! I carry Walther P99, which is a full size 9mm service pistol.

I hope this helps!!

One thing to remember: With the exception of Pistolet Makarova, you generally get what you pay for. My advice is judge what your families and your life is worth and buy a pistol accordingly!!
Glocks may come and Glocks may go, but Walther endures forever!!

Edited by: denfoote at: 2/17/03 4:00:52 am

ruffitt
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/17/03 12:10:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: What is an inexpensive concealed carry weapon???
speed123 -

I doubt anyone here will beat you up or flame you over your choice in a personal handgun.

Granted, it may not be the first choice weapon many members would select, but that is their opinion versus to yours. But that is no reason for flaming or berating you for your post.

As long as the weapon meets your requirements and does what you expect of it, and is one that fits your needs, who is to say that it is not for you?

We are all adults here and although at times we have situations where differences are expressed, we do so in an adult and professional manner. At times we must agree to disagree, but that is what separates this board from others on the net. We are all "family" here and as such are here to support rather than battle each other.

Thanks for sharing you opinion and don't be a stranger to TFF. Come back and post at your will; we appreciate those who frequent and share of themselves in our forums.

Regards

seven 62
(2/17/03 12:25:17 pm)

I agree with the Makarov fans, one can't do much better than an east German "Mak".
I bought a Russian Makarov myself and they are available in the 9x17mm Browning Court/.380 ACP as well as the 9x18mm Makarov cartridges. Mine is the "IJ-70 17-A" in .380 and as long as you don't feed it CCI Blazers it is totally reliable. It WILL NOT feed Blazers. dunno why.

I hope you never have to pull that CCW.

Shoot well

sped123
(2/17/03 11:16:13 pm)
Thanks for the reply Ruffitt. And by the way, its SpEd.

First, I don't want anyone here to think that I believed I would get "drug through the mud" by you guys. In my short time here, I have found this to be a very civilized board. I hope I can continue to contribute in some small way. I would be lieing if I said I didn't expect to get some differeing opinions and I truly appreciate the way you stated your disagreement.

I guess the whole point I was trying to make was that often times I haven't seriously looked at the "cheaper" pistols out there and this time I was glad I did.

I look forward to garnering some more knowledge from this board. I am returning to shooting after a long absence and will be taking my CCW on 03/08 so I am pretty excited about that. My hope is to become very proficient with my pistols and pray that I never have to use them to defend myself of my family, as I am sure most of you do.

The thought of the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) really intrigues me, and I may pursue some additional information about that.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Ride safe.

SpEd

Edited by: sped123 at: 2/17/03 11:18:17 pm

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/18/03 9:44:02 am)
Hi sped123......welcome to TFF.

Here's a little info on the IDPA for you: www.idpa.com/

sped123
(2/18/03 10:39:55 pm)
Thanks Xracer. I've been to the site. Evidently, there are competitions not too far from me so I will be checking them out for sure. I think that the scenarios they act out will give me far greater insight into real world defensive shooting than just putting holes in targets. Thanks again.

SpEd

armedandsafe
V.I.P. Member
(2/18/03 11:19:48 pm)
We've had two of the HiPoint C9s. Now have only one, as we gave one to Daughter-in-law and she won't give it back.

The only time I've been able to jam the little thing is when I get too sloppy on my handloads. Wife shoots it better than I do, but it was her first firearm, so she has a special feel for it. I carry it more than she, now, since she got her .357s. When we were working with the factory on the mag base problem, I found the smiths there to be very helpful and supportive. They go out of their way to help, especially if you are thinking of competing with one of their guns. Give them a call. They _will_ talk to you.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

sped123
(2/19/03 10:19:20 pm)
Have you ever fired the 380 model? I was thinking about purchasing a 9mm Hi Point in the not too distant future and was wondering how it compared to the 380 I currently have. I think its a quality weapon so far.

SpEd

armedandsafe
V.I.P. Member
(2/20/03 1:58:01 pm)
SpEd No I haven't fired the 380. I've run some rounds through the 45 and the carbine, but they are not common enough around here for me to get access very often. These ol' country boys around here are more interested in BIG noise or sustained noise.

(Actually, that is a bit of slander, as some of the best varmint shooters I've ever had the pleasure to shoot with are around here. One hole at 6 miles would satisfy some of them.)

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

See less See more
#2 ·
Kel Tec P-32

I have owned and carried mine 9/10 days, for the past 2 years. I have put about 400 rounds though it, never malfunctions, it is so small and light you can put it anywhere.
From what I've heard Kel-Tec has an excellent warrantee, and will call you and offer upgrades for cheap, and always throw in another mag.
You would be surprised at what a good .32 HP will do, although when the time comes, and you can't remove yourself from the conflict or neutralize the conflict with 7 rounds, you should have not been in that situation or came heavy!

My .02, hope it helps.

#3 ·
The Makarov is a very good choice in your price range. As others have said here, consider what your going to do with this handgun. The decision to own a firearm for self defense has many aspects, and you do indeed get what you pay for. If you and your familys safety will be dependent on your firearm choice, price becomes a secondary consideration.

I have helped many of the women in my life make this choice for thier own protection and my piece of mind. I am sure a reputable gun dealer would be happy to help you work this out. The guys at my local shop live for that sort of thing.
:D

#4 · (Edited)
Out of the various handguns I own, the one I carry most is a Keltec 380 Its light inexpensive and when paired with the right ammo and a crimson lazier it is a formidable companion It's like a visa card I don't leave home with out it. It travels more all of my other guns combined and any of them cost a lot more. They say sincerity is the sincerest form flattery and you have to do is look at other 380s from Ruger, Smith, and Taurus to see what i mean. If the 380 is to light for you try the single stack 9 from keltec they can't keep them on the shelves at buds. unless glock decides to come out with a single 9 i think keltecs are going to be in my pocket for a long time

#6 ·
Out of the various handguns I own, the one I carry most is a Keltec 380 Its light inexpensive and when paired with the right ammo and a crimson lazier it is a formidable companion It's like a visa card I don't leave home with out it. It travels more all of my other guns combined and any of them cost a lot more. They say sincerity is the sincerest form flattery and you have to do is look at other 380s from Ruger, Smith, and Taurus to see what i mean. If the 380 is to light for you try the single stack 9 from keltec they can't keep them on the shelves at buds. unless glock decides to come out with a single 9 i think keltecs are going to be in my pocket for a long time
Welcome to TFF, Smallboar. I love the pun, by the way. :D

I also have a Kel-tec P3AT, and it is my every day no matter what carry choice. As you said, everyone seems to be copy them, some more directly than others (*cough*Ruger*cough*).

The only thing I disagree with you on is the Glocks. I haven't yet found one I much like. That's the good part of a (basically) free country: I get to buy for myself whatever I want. :)

#8 ·
have a P3AT with a crimson trace and found it to be an excellent rig perfect in any light with open site and super fast in lower light with the crimson trace . So happy with it that i bought my wife and two daughters the same setup. we have put nearly 3,000 rounds thru and never a failure in any of them.

#9 ·
Welcome to the two newest members, smallboar, and fatframer! For you guys that like the .380 in small pocket guns, but want more than 7 shoots on some occaisions, consider buying a double stack pistol in .380 as a carry gun for those social occasions that might require a bit more. Maybe something like the Taurus PT58, 20 in the mag, and one in the pipe, for a total of 21 rounds. Keep the pocket pistol in the pocket. Both shoot the same round, so you some extra ammo if need be.

#11 ·
So 2 years ago I found a P3AT ( NIB ) at a local gun show for $199.00 !

Took it home, of course.

Started explaining to my wife ( usually called C.C.B. ....
.... "Charming Child Bride" ) all of the features that impressed me . She
reaches over, takes it out of my hand, racks the slide ( checking the chamber as she does so ) and sez' ....
.... "That sounds good, you should have gotten one for yourself while you were there "

Gotta 'love this girl ! Yes, she has a carry permit, and a Fla. non-resident
permit .

#12 ·
Are we doing this one again? I noticed the mention of the Davis semiauto in .380 somewhere up there - isn't that the pot-metal job that has a habit of blowing people's hands up?

But, to respond to the question actually posed, my all-time favorite is the S&W model 64-3 or -5, K frame, six-shot, stainless w/combat sights & four-inch barrel in .38 special. Very nice ones available used in the neighborhood of four hundred bucks. Easily concealable with an appropriate holster. You pull the trigger, it goes, "bang", period. (and won't blow your hand up unless you're botching your own reloads.)

#14 ·
For the most part, PanPop, I agree with you. I have never felt the urge to take any chances on being armed with any of the Davis Bryco Jennings Jiminez etc. potmetal pocket autos. But I will say, it would seem that any of the new itty-bitty (lol) polymer framed pocket wonders like the KelTek, Ruger, and apparently now, the IO Inc. 380's are reliable and serviceable autos, and their relative low cost is more of an "accessory" rather than the main REASON that they seem to be so popular. I like a bargain, like the next guy, but it would seem thats just a lucky bonus with these polymer pocket autos. I am pretty sure that will be my next purchase. In the mean time, my S&W 37 will continue to serve me damned well, like it has for 15 years or more. .........but I just gotta have one of those little "plastic 380's" :D :D

The one exception to the cheap and yet TOTALY reliable pistol question would be all the police trade in service revolvers based mostly on the Kframe. While they arent $150 blue and $175 stainless like the once were, they are still a bargain, and its hard to argue with them for reliability.

#15 ·
A snub nosed, double-action revolver, will do just fine for a concealed carry, IMO. Nice and light, easy to wield, no extra steps, just pull the trigger and it goes BANG!

There is a plethora of .38 Snub-Nose 'Police Undercover' revolvers out there. Right now, www.budsgunshop.com has them for sale used (police trade-ins) for under $300. Limit two per customer.

#16 ·
I was going to say a Glock 27, as that is what I carry almost all the time, but then I googled and saw that it isn't inexpensive. Still, I qualify with it twice a year, and shoot it a little more on my own. I can't recall any malfunctions, and for some reason I always shoot better with it than I do my G22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.