The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some many years ago I bought a new 20ga. (2 3/4") Remington 870 Wingmaster. Nice gun, vent rib, checkered stock, but just as it came from the factory. Recently I moved to a state where it is illegal to hunt deer with a rifle, so 20ga. slugs should do nicely. I tried to get a 20ga. slug barrel for the 870, but they are all too small to fit on the receiver. My guess is, Remington originally built my 20ga. with the same receiver housing they used for the 12ga., but then later decided to downsize the 20ga. receiver. None of the shop owners remember seeing this before. I suppose it also means every part in the receiver is a different from the new 20ga. because the receiver is larger, or maybe it is just the barrel thread. Maybe like the old Mausers, small ring M96, large ring M98?
Anyone familiar with this, and are slug barrels available for this shotgun? If it is a limited run collectors item, I would rather just buy a new .410 "slugster" to plug whitetails, than mess with it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yes, that would be an earlier 20ga. The first ones were built on the same receiver as the 12ga models. That one uses the same trigger group as a 12ga as well.
I don't know when they made the switch or if both frames were in production at the same time, but I do see the occasional large-frame on the rack.

I don't recall every seeing anything available for aftermarket barrels for the large frame 20s.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Some many years ago I bought a new 20ga. (2 3/4") Remington 870 Wingmaster. Nice gun, vent rib, checkered stock, but just as it came from the factory. Recently I moved to a state where it is illegal to hunt deer with a rifle, so 20ga. slugs should do nicely. I tried to get a 20ga. slug barrel for the 870, but they are all too small to fit on the receiver. My guess is, Remington originally built my 20ga. with the same receiver housing they used for the 12ga., but then later decided to downsize the 20ga. receiver. None of the shop owners remember seeing this before. I suppose it also means every part in the receiver is a different from the new 20ga. because the receiver is larger, or maybe it is just the barrel thread. Maybe like the old Mausers, small ring M96, large ring M98?
Anyone familiar with this, and are slug barrels available for this shotgun? If it is a limited run collectors item, I would rather just buy a new .410 "slugster" to plug whitetails, than mess with it.
Welcome to the forum! While I can't help you with the problem you are now having, I might be able to help you with the problem you are going to have with the .410 slug gun. Don't go there! The .410 slugs will kill deer, but so will a well placed shot from a .22. Although both guns will kill deer, neither are adequate for the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is good to know. I have a friend who uses 3" .410 Brenneke slugs in an (open cylinder) semi auto shotgun. He has some kind of sights mounted on the vent-rib. He says he never shoots a buck, until he is within 50 yards of it, and has good luck with that. He grew up on a dairy farm and has been using some kind of shotgun since he was 10 years old. I know I am not as experienced, and probably not as patient. I likely need more firepower. I don't hunt birds anymore, so maybe I can just use what I have with slugs, or maybe sell it, and buy something closer to the ideal setup.
Thank you for the advice.
N.D.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Did you check Hastings? They may have the barell your looking for. Personally I have an 870 12 with a smooth slug barrel and have moved away from it to a 12 ga H&R/NEF single shot heavy rifled barrel. My opinion is it shoots better than the 870 ever did regardless of ammo type and frankly for a shotgun puts up groups at 100 yards that are close to MOA and I'm not that great of a shot lol. My buddy bought the 20 gauge model and has the same accuracy. For as cheap as they are, they are probably a better investment then a barrel for the 870. Besides its a great excuse to buy another gun lol.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Curious about why you want a "slug barrel".

What barrel do you have? 26 improved? 28 Modified? 30" full? Are you after a rifled barrel, that you can shoot sabots in, or just a 20" barrel with rifle sights?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I've killed three deer in the past two years using a .20 guage with a 28" modified barrel. I load slug, #2 buck shot, slug. So far I haven't had to use the second slug. The deer were 50 - 60 yards. This last year I mounted a red dot scope and at 50 yards put slugs in a 4 inch circle. good hunting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I also have the older "large frame" Wingmaster 20 ga. I believe mine is a 1953 year model. I bought a used barrel a couple of years ago from one of the auction websites and cut that one down to 18 1/2" for home defense.

Kept my original barrel unaltered for bird hunting. If you buy a magazine extension for yours, buy one for the 12 gauge 870's. It will fit your 20 gauge. I did . If you buy a used barrel, measure the inside diameter of the ring under the barrel that slips over your magazine tube and ask the seller to give you the dimensions on the one for sale. The one you want is the large ring that will (I believe) allow a quarter to pass through it.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Why don't you just use a rifled slug?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts