The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a Skinner Peep sight in my Marlin 444 for nearly the entire time I have had the gun. But now, with early cataracts and aging eyes, I am having a hard time rapidly acquiring the front sight as in the past. I am considering both going Elk hunting in a deal to trade elk meat to two of my friends who raise, or will raise beef, and which firearm to use. My .444 Marlin is a perfect elk gun in 100-200 yard range which is within my eyesight range anyway or my 308 also in the same range. The .308 is certainly a rifle known for taking elk but most consider it a marginal gun for that use.

What 1x4 scopes have folks used on 45/70 Marlin rifles that hold up well to the recoil, provide good eye relief and good in low light. All less than $400 if that exists.

I have searched many sites that but keep coming back to low quality at too high a level for many of the brands that had at one time been well made in the US but now are China made.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I stick with tried and true, and avoid the China junk whenever I can. My Siamese Mauser 45/70 wears an older Denver made Redfield, fixed 4x, post and cross hair. Weaver mounts, and Weaver QD rings. It's a heavy gun, but with Buffalo Bore 500grn, it's has some serious recoil. Still shoots to point of aim. As my eyes have got worse, I find the post easier to use than a mildot or 4plex. Good vintage Redfield and Weaver scopes can be found on Ebay in the $75 to $150 range, depending on what you're looking for.
I think I have a Weaver mount for the Marlin, that I got in a box of parts. Yours if you want it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stick with tried and true, and avoid the China junk whenever I can. My Siamese Mauser 45/70 wears an older Denver made Redfield, fixed 4x, post and cross hair. Weaver mounts, and Weaver QD rings. It's a heavy gun, but with Buffalo Bore 500grn, it's has some serious recoil. Still shoots to point of aim. As my eyes have got worse, I find the post easier to use than a mildot or 4plex. Good vintage Redfield and Weaver scopes can be found on Ebay in the $75 to $150 range, depending on what you're looking for.
I think I have a Weaver mount for the Marlin, that I got in a box of parts. Yours if you want it.
Thank you, I will take a look at Ebay (Never used it before). It seems that my only real option is to get a Trijicon for $1000+ which I am not going to do or like you say, look for something on Ebay in used condition but still working well. I have been thinking of a 1x4 scope. I had one about 10 years ago for a 300 wsm Browning BLR that I never should have gotten rid of. And then I should have just kept the scope and sold the rifle without. But there are MANY MANY things I should have done in this life but didn't.

Thank you for the offer, I will look around and see what I can come up with.

Peter

I, have a Vortex on my 45/70. Served me well for years. I, am 73.

Thank you, I have a Vortex on My 308/7.62x51 that works well. However, far too many of the recent reviews of these products speaks of low quality and not holding up to recoil by too many. There is also the issue of fake scopes sold as Vortex or others that folks are bringing up about things sold on Amazon.

Quality is not the same on far too many products in the last couple of years. Just the way our new world is.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Peter, let me look in the scope pile before you buy something. I was buying scopes in lots of 3 and 4 from a gentleman that was a worse hoarder than me for gun stuff. I was buying 3 to get the one I wanted. When you can't remember what you have, you have too many!

·
GUNZILLA
7,547 Posts
For 30 years I used a scope that many consider cheap, a Bushnell Banner 3X9X40 that came with my savage rifle, a 30-06 and takes the recoil very well. The best scope I have for hunting, comes with a simple cross hair and a tiny red dot appears in the center, when you turn on the illumination. I recommend Bushnell, kinda of hard finding lower power scopes nowadays, but Burris makes a nice 2X7x35.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leupold is hard to beat. American made with a lifetime warranty and some models for 300 bucks.
I looked at some of the Leopold and they had a wonderful 1x4 that they no longer make. Not sure why folks aren't interested in the 1x4 market for the 100-200 yard usage but that is exactly what a brush gun like a Marlin is designed and rules in many ways.

But I am looking to see what is available.

Thank you on that and yes, I saw that they are American made.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I agree that a 1x4 is a great choice and would like to buy one myself for an AR but haven't as of yet. I've used a Burris 2x Fullfield shotgun scope on deer for 15 years or so. It started to fog just a little and I sent it back in to be rebuilt. It came with a nice heavy 4 plex which was very easy to pick up. But, the longest shot I recall was a little over 100 yards on deer although I do remember sighting it in once at 200 yards and keeping some old Lightfield slugs nicely centered on a paper plate.

Be careful with used scopes on ebay, especially variables that may have had trouble holding their erecters stable with recoil. I have one of those from years ago that i still haven't sent back to the factory to be repaired since I waited too long to mount it and shoot it to be able to return it.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Use Midway as a source of comparison info. Plus read the customers reviews on each scope listed. Midway will allow negative reviews by unsatisfied customers.

I would suggest a 30mm or larger scope tube outer diameter. The lager diameter will have a large objective lens in a 1-6x or 1.5-8x which in turn will transmit more light. This class of rifle scope usually have an objective lens the smaller the diameter of the scope tube. A 2-8x class will usually have a larger objective lens. The large tube diameter with a high quality scope will also have a larger eye box which reduces critical eye alignment with the ocular lens, which can reduce parallax. This is important if a snap shot has to be made and a proper cheek weld is not achieved. Although practice shouldering the rifle with both eyes closed then open your eyes to see where the shooting eyes alines with image in the ocular lens. Length of pull and scope mounting hight will affect eye alignment. If an optimal eye alignment is not natural a different hight of scope rings can correct eye alignment or move the scope fore or aft can correct eye alignment as it changes your head position.
*Look a the specs for “exit pupil”. Most people a maximum exit pupil of 7mm is as much light a human eye can process. Exit pupil will always be listed in a scopes specs at minimum magnification.
*Optical coating is another aspect that can affect image quality and light transmission.
*Eye relief is how far the eye can be from the ocular lens to achieve the full field of view. Eye relief usually reduces as variable magnification is increased. Eye relief will always be listed in a scopes specs at minimum magnification.
*Illuminated reticle that is variable in intensity is an option that can be useful when at dawn/dusk or over cast days. Also a simple duplex reticle with a thick outer stadia and a thiner center stadia is easier for the eye to acquire the reticle in heavy brush or low ambient light.

I assume that you mite already be aware of all of the technical aspects of rifle scopes, but I’ve known quite a few people over the years who bought high dollar, high quality rifle scopes that mounted themselves improperly and thought it was the fault of the scope.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. Crosnoe usually has a couple/few fixed and/or low power variables. I saw a 2.5 - 8 Leupold and here's a Lyman American 4X.

LYMAN ALL AMERICAN 4X SCOPE for sale (gunsinternational.com)

Might check here and wade through however many pages. I saw some interesting scopes. There's about anything there a fella could ask for.

Optics - Hunting for sale (gunsinternational.com)
Thank you, I will have to check them out

Use Midway as a source of comparison info. Plus read the customers reviews on each scope listed. Midway will allow negative reviews by unsatisfied customers.

I would suggest a 30mm or larger scope tube outer diameter. The lager diameter will have a large objective lens in a 1-6x or 1.5-8x which in turn will transmit more light. This class of rifle scope usually have an objective lens the smaller the diameter of the scope tube. A 2-8x class will usually have a larger objective lens. The large tube diameter with a high quality scope will also have a larger eye box which reduces critical eye alignment with the ocular lens, which can reduce parallax. This is important if a snap shot has to be made and a proper cheek weld is not achieved. Although practice shouldering the rifle with both eyes closed then open your eyes to see where the shooting eyes alines with image in the ocular lens. Length of pull and scope mounting hight will affect eye alignment. If an optimal eye alignment is not natural a different hight of scope rings can correct eye alignment or move the scope fore or aft can correct eye alignment
*Look a the specs for “exit pupil” most people a maximum exit pupil a of 7mm is as much light a human eye can process. Exit pupil will always be listed in a scopes specs at minimum magnification.
*Optical coating is another aspect that can affect image quality and light transmission.
*Eye relief is how far the eye can be from the ocular lens to achieve the full field of view. Eye relief will always be listed in a scopes specs at minimum magnification.
*Illuminated reticle that is variable in intensity is an option that can useful when at dawn/dusk or over cast days. Also a simple duplex reticle with a thick outer stadia and a thiner center stadia is easier for the eye to acquire the reticle in heavy brush or low ambient light.

I assume that you mite already be aware of all of the technical aspects of rifle scopes, but I’ve known quite a few people over the years who bought high dollar, high quality rifle scopes that mounted themselves improperly and thought it was the fault of the scop e.
No I am not aware of all the technical aspects of scopes. Looks like I have some homework to do.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
A 1x4 would be a fixed 4 power, right? I'd choose a 1-4 for some adjustability instead. I kid, I kid... Yes, I get wrapped up in the details. I guess that makes me somewhat competent at work, but also a smartarse in every other situation. :ROFLMAO:

With regard to brands, I submit my choice to you...

2-7x32 Rimfire

4-12x50

4-16x50

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
A 1x4 would be a fixed 4 power, right? I'd choose a 1-4 for some adjustability instead. I kid, I kid... Yes, I get wrapped up in the details. I guess that makes me somewhat competent at work, but also a smartarse in every other situation. :ROFLMAO:

With regard to brands, I submit my choice to you...
View attachment 255325
2-7x32 Rimfire
View attachment 255326
4-12x50
View attachment 255327
4-16x50
View attachment 255328
Thank you, I have a Vortex on my 7.61x51 AR10 and it is a great scope at 2.5x10 44MM

Looking over some of the recommendations above, I found this on Leopold:

There is a gun store about 1 mile from our house that likely has this scope and fixings to go with it.

I do like Vortex but some of the recent reviews are giving me pause on anything coming out of China. Sign of the times I guess.

Still looking but yes, I think I would prefer a variable 1.5-4 instead of the fixed 4x. My 2.5 x 10 Vortex pops right into view when I shoulder the rifle. I put it on the 4x setting and I think I would prefer for a rapid response having a lower setting with 2.5 the highest fixed level.

Still pondering and I appreciate all the responses and replies.

If anyone has a scope specifically on a Marlin 444 or 45/70, that would be great info as well.

Once again, thank you all for your great responses and I still have a lot more homework to do to understand where I should go and hopefully without a lot of money, but that may be wishful thinking. Thanks again,

Peter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nikon 3-9 X 40 BDC..:cool::)

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I took a look at the Vortex you noted above, the Crossfire is interesting and half the cost of the Leopold. That gets my attention for sure especially with a lifetime warranty. Thank you again, Peter

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a nikon 30mm tactical 1-4 with min of angle ticks in the glass and turrets on my marlin 94. It works great on the 357 but I dont know if it would hold up to a 444 marlin's recoil. Its well built so may be okay with the right rings.

Bushnell, Leopold, & Nikon all make similar 1-4x scopes in the 200-300$ range. I also have a similar bushnell but I like the nikon best. I dont do battery scopes so both have std reticals. The nikon looks like it may take more abuse. I can see better in low light and dark with the nikon than with the naked eye.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts