The Firearms Forum banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
I have one. I love it. But it’s snappy, so be ready for that fun.

I am always hunting for one of the older model 60’s like the one I use to have. It was an absolute tack driver, and I picked off squirrels between 50-75 yards with it often enough to feel rather good about myself.

I just brought one home today. So now I’m thinking sig p365 xmacro or the Taurus tx22. I don’t know yet.
i have a gen 1 mod 60 squirly , and a stainless gen 3 mod 60 , the gen 3 stock split at the wrist so i found a gen 2 stock and fit the stainless in it , did a trigger job on the gen 3 too , very lite

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’m finally in a place where I’ve got all my bases covered and there isn’t really anything I need. So now I’m looking at wants, and those are tending to be expensive indulgences lol. I also tend to spend a good bit on accessories and redundancies such as mags, optics, lights, holsters, load-bearing equipment, etc.

I’m thinking about changing up some scopes, and I really want an AXG grip module with walnut grips for my P320, which is gonna run me $400.

But if I were gonna buy a new gun, right now, it would be either a heavy barrel Bergara .308, an M1A SOCOM, or a Canik Rival Dark Side.
You must really like that "discount 30-06" cartridge, heh? ;)

·
Premium Member
18,280 Posts
Well, I’m not one for obsolescent cartridges, so yeah. Lol
What?!?!?!?! NO!!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! SACRILEGE!! Oh my goodness....words like that are akin to "wide is the gate and broad is the path that leads to destruction"..............:sick:.....:giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: Gudaki

·
Premium Member
18,280 Posts
My 11.15 X 60R is 151 years old and has been obsolescent longer than the 308 has been around, by a long shot. The 10.5 X 47R is not far behind it and is based on the 11.15. Several others, foreign and domestic, go back to the 1880's and others haven't been loaded since before WW1. I believe the newest cartridge in the house is Joyce's 243. I guess the two newest that are mine is the 30 Carbine and the 7.62 X 39 in an SKS. Neither of which I've fired in.....whew, a long time. After those two the newest I can think of is the 7 X 64 Brenneke and the 8 X 65R Brenneke, both from about 1917.

The 308 is the same age as me.....and far from obsolete or obsolescent...... :giggle:

Edit: Wait, I fired the M-1 Carbine 4-5 years ago to check the sights. That was when all the BLM and other crap was going on after George Floyd. It lived by my bed for a while then, I put it back in the safe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got 45-70, 45 auto, 30-06, 30-30, 30 Carbine, and of course shotguns and rimfires. All tried and true classics. Considering 30-40 Krag a bit among other things for another rifle cartridge. Only chambering newer than 80 years that I'm even curious to try is the 6.8 Western.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I just picked up a nice 30-40 Krag 1898 at the Dallas Arms Collector show. I want a M1A and a K98. When I add them, I will have a representation of the standard infantry rifles of the US from the brass cartridge era and the standard infantry rifles of all the major combatants of WWII (US, Russia, Great Britain, Japan, Italy and Germany). I even have a MAS 36. (Not sure I can count France as a "major combatant) None of them are what I would really consider "collector grade", they are all shooters. Shame I can't afford the select fire versions of the M-14, M-16 and M-4.

·
Premium Member
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I have no real need for a bolt action centerfire rifle but I did want one. I bought a Ruger American in 308. I think if you want one rifle this is about the best round. If you only have one rifle this is the round you want.

I don't get to shoot it much as there are very few ranges that we have available around here. Earlier this year we went to one of the few ranges around here where I could shoot it. It hasn't been shot in a few years. After 2 clicks left on the scope, I was shooting MOA at 100 yards. That's very good for me.

·
Premium Member
18,280 Posts
Ad in Gun magazine: For sale, French surplus military rifle. Never fired, dropped twice."

Years ago, maybe 40, I set out to own every smokeless powder military rifle adopted by the US. I made it to three and quickly lost interest but, I do wish I had back the two I let go, a Winchester M-1 Garand and an 03-A3 Remington, two groove.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I used to trade guns a lot and now in my later years I wish I had back everything I had traded off. Nowadays some of them I traded off are valued sky high and I don't feel they're worth it. Had they really been worth it I probably wouldn't have traded them off then. After all, I'm a shooter 10 times more than a collector.

The next gun on my list will be the next one that comes along that happens to strike my fancy no matter new or old. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
i been wanting a USA AK and im a fan of PSA so i was either thinking the tri stock or the spiker version , i had a Poly Spiker and a Mak 90 spiker both tragically lost in a freak boating accident , but the PSA AKs have been getting some really good reviews
I’ve got the gen5 with the wood stock. Awesome shooter. No complaints except the sights, but that’s an AK thing, not a PSA issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just picked up a nice 30-40 Krag 1898 at the Dallas Arms Collector show. I want a M1A and a K98. When I add them, I will have a representation of the standard infantry rifles of the US from the brass cartridge era and the standard infantry rifles of all the major combatants of WWII (US, Russia, Great Britain, Japan, Italy and Germany). I even have a MAS 36. (Not sure I can count France as a "major combatant) None of them are what I would really consider "collector grade", they are all shooters. Shame I can't afford the select fire versions of the M-14, M-16 and M-4.
Isn't the M1A a 308/7.62x51? Standard in WW2 was 30-06. I think M1A is basically a semi-auto only M14, though I could be wrong.

I have no real need for a bolt action centerfire rifle but I did want one. I bought a Ruger American in 308. I think if you want one rifle this is about the best round. If you only have one rifle this is the round you want.

I don't get to shoot it much as there are very few ranges that we have available around here. Earlier this year we went to one of the few ranges around here where I could shoot it. It hasn't been shot in a few years. After 2 clicks left on the scope, I was shooting MOA at 100 yards. That's very good for me.
Sounds like it's working out good for you, but I'd have to respectfully disagree about 308/7.62x51 being the one round for everything. 30-06 has a bit more power, is easier to handle the casings when loading, and can be loaded a little lighter like the mini-06 you already have if you want. Plus it'll handle anything from a 110-grain little plinker bullet to a 220-grain round nose big-game bullet no problem. Very versatile, Ron Spomer even did a YT video on it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been wanting a stainless, 3.75" plow-handled Ruger OM Vaquero in .357 magnum for a couple years now, and have so far been unable to find one. I've waited so long, I'm willing to settle for a New Model or maybe even a Birdshead grip if that's all I can find, but it definitely has to be .357 and stainless.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I'm also thinking of ordering a PSA Dagger with the G17 sized grip and the G19 sized slide (like the Glock 19X or Glock 45).

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Isn't the M1A a 308/7.62x51? Standard in WW2 was 30-06. I think M1A is basically a semi-auto only M14, though I could be wrong.
Yes, the M1A is in either 308 or 7.62 x 51. I have a Garand already to fulfill the American WWII infantry rifle slot. The M1A would fill the slot on American brass cartridge infantry rifles.
The K98 is the only one I need to have the major combatant infantry rifles of WWII.
WWII infantry rifles
SMLE, Garand, Carcano, Arisaka, Mosin Nagant, MAS 36. Missing a K98
US standard infantry rifles brass cartridge era
Trapdoor Springfield, 30-40 Krag-Jorgenson, Springfield 1903, P-17, Garand, AR-15 20" barrel w/"carry handle" open sights (civilian version of M-16), AR-15 flat top with 16" barrel (civilian version of M-4). Missing M1A (civilian version of M-14)

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
460 Posts
My next gun? Well, if I bought just 5% of the guns that are shoved in my face via email spam, I would need a warehouse to store them. You know..."What are you waiting for? This will be gone before you know it!" And..."Don't let this one get away!" I'm embarrassed to say their tactics actually worked a couple of times.
I do have my eye on a Cimarron Richards Conversion in .45 colt. It's an open-top, but I wouldn't be using any really hot stuff in it anyway. I just think those replicas are really cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Always been a devoted fan of the P35.Purchased my first one WAY back when I was 13.Been away from shooting for the last 5 years or so. Dipping my toes back in the pool now. I've discovered Springfield Armory makes an impressive copy. I am in LUST! Got the cash for it put away, and the first one I come across is going to be mine. All I gotta do is find one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, the M1A is in either 308 or 7.62 x 51. I have a Garand already to fulfill the American WWII infantry rifle slot. The M1A would fill the slot on American brass cartridge infantry rifles.
The K98 is the only one I need to have the major combatant infantry rifles of WWII.
WWII infantry rifles
SMLE, Garand, Carcano, Arisaka, Mosin Nagant, MAS 36. Missing a K98
US standard infantry rifles brass cartridge era
Trapdoor Springfield, 30-40 Krag-Jorgenson, Springfield 1903, P-17, Garand, AR-15 20" barrel w/"carry handle" open sights (civilian version of M-16), AR-15 flat top with 16" barrel (civilian version of M-4). Missing M1A (civilian version of M-14)

Am I missing anything?
The only one of those American rifles I've not heard of is the P-17. Looking them up and finding the alternative name "M1917 Enfield" fascinates me quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Sounds like it's working out good for you, but I'd have to respectfully disagree about 308/7.62x51 being the one round for everything. 30-06 has a bit more power, is easier to handle the casings when loading, and can be loaded a little lighter like the mini-06 you already have if you want. Plus it'll handle anything from a 110-grain little plinker bullet to a 220-grain round nose big-game bullet no problem. Very versatile, Ron Spomer even did a YT video on it.
Don't forget I was talking about if you only have one bolt action rifle. For me, the 308 was a good fit. Nevertheless, I think the 30-06 would also fit this scenario.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts