What knife is on your desk?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by ozdude, Dec 23, 2019.

1. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

I see, now after I zoomed in. Green panels, Cool! :cool:

carver and ozdude like this.
  2. Bayou Ogre

Bayou Ogre Active Member

Three antique folders from Ireland, a single bladed, STAG, BARLOW, a three bladed jigged handle IMPERIAL, and two bladed, jigged handle CAMCO.

At least, those are the ones that I can see. With this clutter, there could be a machete underneath all this. I know that there's two or three camping hawks settin under the desk.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    ozdude and carver like this.

3. Bayou Ogre

Bayou Ogre Active Member

When I was in my early twenties, I was an assistant supervisor in the produce department of a local supermarket chain in NOLA. I was sharpening my big french blade, after trimming corn ears for wrapping. The meat department manager walked by, ad told me that was not the way to get a sharp edge. I took my knife and in a single swipe lopped off a large piece of the corner of a banana box. Ten minutes later he came back with all the knives from the meat department for me to sharpen.

My first stepfather, Jimmy, was a roofer, a mean drunk, pool hall shark, and a knife fighter from the Appalachians. I've seen him in a couple of pool room scuffles, and to this day I have to wonder if he wasn't the inspiration for at least one, if not two, Jim Croce songs, "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", and "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" He told me to never to stab a man, a rule by which he, himself, lived by.

Buck Knife does it:
    https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/bucks-forever-warranty/

Always like the Bundeswehr knife. But, never came across one for sale or trade.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2020
    ozdude, carver and Firpo like this.
  4. Bayou Ogre

Bayou Ogre Active Member

My first Buck knife was a 110, found it in the middle of River Road in Harvey(?) Louisiana. Big gash in one of the brass bolsters. Later had another, that had been professionally converted to a switch blade, traded an SAS crossbow, which I got in another trade, for it. That crossbow had an over 200lb draw on it! Made a wooden practice bolt from a cheap arrow. Shot it, from about ten feet, into a dry telephone book, penetrated halfway through when the wooden shaft exploded into toothpicks.
    Later sold that knife to a Jeweler I knew who collected knives.

5. Bayou Ogre

Bayou Ogre Active Member

Though Australians are called citizens, their government treats them as subjects. Subject to the whims of the governing few, rather than to the will of the people.

Yeppers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2020
    ozdude likes this.
  6. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

i dont have a desk, but a very sharp knife is always in my right pocket.i always remember the line from a movie where a big bad guy started to beat up a womenthen he was going to rape her. then he stopped and said, what did you just do to me? then he died. she had a very sharp knife and gutted him bad.

carver likes this.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Ever since I read this post, I have been looking for the one I have and can't seem to find it. The one I said has "Glock" on it I found. Not the same knife at all. If I remember right, the one like this one was sent to me back in the 80's by my son who was stationed in Germany at the time.

8. gdmoody

If I had looked one more place before I posted the last one, I would have found it!! I went outside and looked in the tail end of my car and there is was in the car jack compartment. Mine does not have the BW on it.
    1DBEFBE3-3B4C-440B-BF12-DC391BEEB5F4.jpeg

ozdude likes this.
  9. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Does it have anything on the blade?
    They were very popular in Germany and Europe being that they were an issue field knife. A few manufacturers made them even Puma, so some were made for the civie market but otherwise per mil spec, not like what you can find newly made now which are pretty cheap things.

Btw, I call it a field knife as that's what it was used for, as a general tool.
    The official designation was M1968 Kampfmesser (Combat Knife)

Military contractors that I know of:

OFW - Otto Förster, Witzhelden
    WKC - WKC Stahl und Metallwarenfabrik, Weyersberg (Formerly Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie)
    WMF - Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik, Geislingen an der Steige
    AES - A. Eickhorn, Solingen
    FKS - Friedrich Koch, Solingen
    Robert Klaas, Solingen

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  10. gdmoody

It did have something but I cannot remember what it was. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to go back out to the car and see what it said.

ozdude likes this.
  11. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

This one arrived today. Could not make up my mind which color to get so ended up ordering a few.
    I remember seeing these knives years ago but somehow never got around getting one and then forgot all about them. Neat little knife and excellent value for money.

Dozier-Black.jpg

Rock185 and djthumper like this.
  12. gdmoody

1B9C62BE-8903-440A-8C91-6D8C613A1794.jpeg I forgot to look yesterday, but here is a picture of the writing on the blade.

ozdude likes this.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

This Boker is another of my favorites that I keep handy.
    20200103_173249.jpg

Suicide*Ride and ozdude like this.
  14. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

That's a commercially made one though one of the better copies. I have seen Puma made ones with Bw on the handle though Puma was never a military contractor, unless they made a special run for some unknown reason with official blessing as they would not have gotten away with putting Bw on them otherwise. Puma knives are expensive and they employ pretty good craftsmen, no way a soldier would have been issued with a Puma made knife.
    I have also seen these knives made by the contractors I listed but with no Bw on the handle and no date marking, runs made for the civie market, and also fakes like that.
    I know of copies being owned by soldiers such as the TSR you have there. If they lost their knife they'd be in trouble, so they would go into a store and buy one and they would be re-inventoried when the soldier left the military. So who knows the history of yours.
    I have owned a few of them, but as with most of the things I owned back then as a kid, I had to leave behind when we left germany. About the only thing I've still got is an old stainless steel US marked Camillus utility knife, like the old boyscout knives, an old WWII 50 cal case, some MG42 links, few other small things.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  15. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

ozdude likes this.