The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen, and possible ladies. I have been trying to research a revolver left to my wife by her grandfather. It is an Iver Johnson 6 shot .22 revolver with 6 inch barrel. Serial E36118. It came with .22lr rounds and it shoots them without issue. I say this because everything i've read says this is not even a .22! It has the white with black texture plastic grips with owls. The cylinder has the side latch. And there is a built in, spring loaded rod to eject the shells one at a time. I can not find Mr. Goforths book online to find out for sure what it is and when it may have been made. There is alot of conflicting information out there but I've seen alot of Iver Johnson questions answered here and I'm sure you all can help me! I've seen that this could be a 50a or 55a or sidewinder or sportsman or target... Hopefully the serial number helps. I've not seen anything online with an E serial in .22 caliber or 6 shot. Please help me clarify. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Your gun appears to be one of the several Model 50 Sidewinder variations, but did you mean 8 shot?
I don't think I. J. every made any 6 shot .22s, only 7 and 8.

The Sidewinder models were made 1961-1977 and was their last production model. They can't be dated to a specific year, but the imitation staghorn grips shown were introduced 1968.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EXACTLY! Is this one of those pieced together models when they used inventory parts to make as many guns as they could in the last 2 years? Although I haven't been able to find any 70s models with an E serial. My wife seems to think it is much older than the 70s but shes just guessing and wishful thinking. The first picture I posted was from Internet, I used it because it looks identical to ours. Here is the actual pistol. Is the length of the cylinder typical of 22lr? Or is it actually a different longer 22 round? Thanks again. I've read many of your threads and was actually hoping you would be the person to reply ☺ (it will be cleaned before we use it again) 1453217885759.jpg 1453217969381.jpg 1453218056452.jpg 1453218152530.jpg 1453218260870.jpg

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
According to Bill Goforth's book, all the Model 50 Sidewinder series used the E serial number code.

What other markings are there besides the serial? A .22LR/.22Magnum option with interchangeable cylinders was added in 1974, but the magnum cylinder was unfluted with caliber marked on cylinder instead of frame.

EDIT: I should have searched this forum first, as here's an old reply by Bill G. with info not in his book that solves the 6-shot mystery:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/iver-johnson-mod-50-sidewinder-22-lr.51798/

So you have a combo gun but missing the magnum cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am driving in my work van right now. however I do have it with me so when I get a chance I'll look for more more markings. I personally do not have a CCW. Thank God for Missouri's peaceable journey law

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I am driving in my work van right now. however I do have it with me so when I get a chance I'll look for more more markings. I personally do not have a CCW. Thank God for Missouri's peaceable journey law
I just edited my reply, and mystery is solved, but now you need to find a magnum cylinder to complete the combo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much. I knew you'd come through for me! And as a matter of fact, I was searching for a 22 mag cylinder just now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts