what not...

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

haggai69
    (2/27/02 1:12:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All what not...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if I know how to word this question so that it makes sense. I was not around during the Vietnam war, but grew up as an Air Force Brat. I have been fascinated by the Vietnam War and those that were there for as long as I can remember. I've been reading books and listening to stories as much as I can. I have been reading posts on this board since it started and I was a silent observer on the MSNBC one as well. I have contacted a few vets personally to ask questions and beg for stories, but this time I thought I would post to everyone.
    I was wondering what the signifigance was of having pets (for those who did) and music from the US. (Here's where I don't know how to ask the question.) Was it for a sense of normalicy in a crazy situation? What kind of things would you do or look for to stay grounded? Or was that not an issue?
    I hope I've made a little bit of sense. I have the deepest admiration for all of you. Welcome home.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/27/02 6:57:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: what not...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Aboard haggai69!

Someone will be along shortly to try and answer
    your questions.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/27/02 7:24:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: what not...
    Welcome haggai69,

So you have been with us for all this time and now just getting on here, shame on you.....I bet you have had lots of questions that you would of like to have answered and here we all sat, twitting our thumbs, just waiting for someone like you to come on board. Goodness, you get all those questions and the why and wherefore together and start doing some posting. You are the type of people we look for.

I don't know about the men on here haggai but I can say the best part of my tour in Nam was the radio to help me get my mind on something other then home. Everywhere you went there was either a radio going or someone had their stereo turned up. It didn't really matter the kind of music, just as long as it was being played. I imagine it was a way to drown out thoughts.

As for animals, I didn't have any pets but I did have a monstrous rat come and visit in my room one time when I was out. The Mamasan had left the door open and it decided it wanted to go exploring. Biggest rat I ever laid eyes on.

Thanks for dropping in haggai, hope you stay around and keep us company. - Hope

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/27/02 9:16:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Haggai69,
    Allow me to welcome you to our little corner of the nether world. I do agree with Hope with her chastisement for you not getting here sooner. Shame on you. OK, let's move on now.
    For me the radio was entertainment at times and also noise to drown your thoughts in and cover the noises you heard over & over again. Unless you were stationed at one of the large AFB's or with USARV in Long Binh nothing ever came close to being "home".
    Even while home on leave for my 2 extensions, I wanted to get back to my platoon, I was responsible for my guys and I worried about them whenever I wasn't drunk. That was the hardest thing about coming home after three tours of duty there, was having to let that feeling of responsibility go.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/27/02 11:11:52 pm)
    berto, I have to disagree with you just a tad.

I was with USARV in Long Binh, I wouldn't have called that anything like home....The headquarters was nice and it did provide a nice place to work, a workplace something that you may find back in the states. I was very lucky, I was assigned there. Some were not so lucky and had to work elsewhere. I have heard guys say it was just like any post back home, I have yet to understand how. The only conclusion that I can come up with is, all the guys had privilege to all the good things provided to GI's on post and off limits to us females. If there would have been privileges, I would have been hard put to have made time for them. There were many, many days I felt lucky to get a few hours sleep. It sure wasn't an 8hr. job like back in the states.

However, you being where you were, I "know" you didn't have anything at all like home, unless you came in from the field at any time. You had a complete different life. The guys assigned on the post didn't know the war like you field guys did unless they were in the medical field or some line of work that involved it.

Just my 2 Cents worth, of course in a kind way...lol

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/27/02 11:38:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hope,
    I was reffering mainly to flush toilets and such.
    Nothing derogatory was intended.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/27/02 11:51:04 pm)
    No Problem berto, I didn't even look at it that way. I just wanted to get the conversation going.....

OK, your turn......lol lol

Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (2/28/02 7:41:44 am)
    My friend---welcome---the folks here will make you feel welcome too. What, have we known each other now for a couple of years. I have sent you stories before I learned how to cut and paste them for you here. I know with your busy college schedule that it doesn't leave much time for visiting, however ask all the question you are inclined to want answers to. Wilborn

haggai69
    (2/28/02 1:09:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Drinking...
    Thanks for all the welcome's. I'll try to post as often as I can. I do have millions of questions, it's just a matter of putting them into words.
    Berto mentioned a feeling of responsiblity. Is that like survivor's guilt? What about the drinking? I'm guessing it helps to escape, but how did it effect your lives when you got back state-side?
    I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to cope with the changes from Vietnam to here. Was there any kind of decompression period? Did anyone ever try to help with the transition, or was is just hand over your gun and go home?
    Now I'm rambling. I feel like a dam was released or something. I'll put a quick post in at the General Discussion just to let everyone know a little bit about me.
    Save some space here.

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/28/02 11:17:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Drinking...
    haggai69,
    Each of us had different experiences and those all had an effect on each of us and how we reacted upon returning home to the "World".
    For me, having been in my platoon for over a year and a half and being the oldest in time in country and in grade.(E5)
    Was motor nco and searchlight repairman and sometimes asst
    pltn sgt. Also I often went to our field units often and repaired/maintained or acted as a replacement for guys on R&R or on extension.
    After being involved with almost every aspect of keeping my guys safe with good operating equipment and getting to know most of them pretty well, it was really like leaving family
    behind.
    As for decompression and transition help, at the time I came home the last time (April '71), there was none.
    You took the "freedom bird" back to the 'world' and usually between 18-30 hrs you were back on the streets in an alien world, only difference being, you weren't supposed to shoot back on this side of the Pacific.

Talk about rambling! Again my experience is mine alone.
    Others will have vastly different experiences if they choose to share them. For some Vets this is a very private part of their life and do not wish to discuss their experiences.
    If you have any questions contact me here or email me. It's in my profile.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

haggai69
    (3/1/02 8:55:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del too personal
    I think that's why I've chosen mostly to read what others post rather than posting myself. I don't know what is too personal and what isn't. I don't want to unwittingly step on toes or bring up bad memories. I work with a man who was in Vietnam. UDT or something like that? Navy maybe. I haven't really asked any questions because I don't know what is appropriate. Of course I guess I could always ask, he doesn't have to answer.
    Hmm... Something to think about.

Winter11
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/1/02 1:32:39 pm)
    Haggai... first... welcome! Second... what took ya so long to post girl?!?!

I'm Christine (Winter)... I'm 25, live in NYC and I've been a member here since - I think - May... all I know is from my first post I was welcomed with open arms and I've made some great friends since....

This is a helluva place... and I know you'll find the answers to your questions from some great people!

Always Faithful

BARTAL
    (3/9/02 9:17:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: haggai69
    Hello this is Barry ....Thanks for posting and thanks for the welcome home. I have been here also since MSNBC. Good to hear from you. I have not had much of a chance to post lately, but would like to more.
    Music from Nam years.....? What it was about was wanting to close your eyes and pretend you were home. At night I would look up at the stars and it reminded me of laying down in my back yard in Illinois. That is if you took away the smell. Oh yea and the sound of shells falling. You just had to do what you could to not let that place drive you nuts. Drink, smoke,dream..............pray.
    Thanks for all of your thoughts over the years. It means a lot to know that some people still remember us.
    Peace....Barry

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/9/02 11:46:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: haggai69
    Welcome back Barry, we missed you!

JD