The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’m teamsterjohn New to the forum. What primers are you guys using to load your 300 blackout. Small rifle or small magnum rifle. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,312 Posts
What manual are you using?
It should list which primer to use.
I don’t load that round but it should be in the manual for your bullet and powder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I will have to look when I get back home. I just went by the instructions that came with the Lee dies. And new that it had to be at least small rifle primers.

·
Premium Member
19,971 Posts
Thank you guys. I will have to look when I get back home. I just went by the instructions that came with the Lee dies. And new that it had to be at least small rifle primers.
That's why loading manuals are Important. They will give you accurate load data and components to use. Die instructions will usually only tell you how to set up your dies.

·
Super Moderator
29,422 Posts
That's why loading manuals are Important. They will give you accurate load data and components to use. Die instructions will usually only tell you how to set up your dies.
Some of the Lee dies do come with load data sheets for the particular cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
43,358 Posts
Well, I no longer load 300 BO, but I do load .223 and the manual I use says use Winchester Small Rifle primers. I don't pay attention because I do not have Winchester SR primers. I did, however, use Tula Small Rifle or CCI Small Rifle which is what I had, until I ran out. There was a time, not so long ago, where Small Rifle primers were/are almost impossible to find at a price one can afford, but I did find Magnum Small Rifle primers so I bought two cases of them (10,000) and I will use them until SR are available again.

I will invest in one. Do u prefer one over another.
Manuals - the two that I would suggest that you should get are the latest Lyman (#50) and the latest Hornady manuals. And don't just use them for the recipes, read the first 1/3 of the book that tells about reloading. Everything you need to know will be in there.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I use CCI small rifle or CCI small rifle magnum & in these times of hard to find primers I have used CCI small pistol magnum primers.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
I wouldn't depend on the loading data from a Lee Die Set. I've found the data from them to be contradictory and inaccurate. You need to invest in at least one GOOD reloading manual, and follow that data. If I only had just one reloading manual for reference, it would be the Lyman manual. Don't rely on that Lee data - and certainly don't rely or trust data or information gleaned from the internet.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I will invest in one. Do u prefer one over another.
Do you mean to say your getting into reloading and got the tools before the manual? Did you get your driver's license before you read the study manual? You know this is exactly why so many guys come up with some of the questions they come up with. By pass the manual and just ask someone on the computer. No idea who he is or what he knows but it's off the computer.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
TJ, Don's comment is valid, exceedingly valid. No one is trying to be hateful or a smart aleck when the question asked is justified. You cannot possibly know the number of questions fielded by the very kind, patient and experienced handloaders on this board that, had the poster simply taken the time to purchase and READ a good loading manual before he ever started, he would have known the answer to his question. It's why I no longer answer questions such as yours. Your question is "Reloading 101". I suspected you'd never read a manual before I finished your first post. Turns out your 3rd post confirmed my suspicions.

99% of the time the guys asking such questions watched a few U-toob videos, got some data off a web site and thinks he is now a handloader...and can't answer the most basic of questions. Yes, by all means get the Lyman book and read the first 1/3 thoroughly, two times, before you load, or try to load another round. Or, you'll be on here asking what an incipient case head separation is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The truth is that I have been reloading for awhile now. But just started with my 300 blackout. The other day I was reading how some people where using magnum primers. Just wanted to get some opinions. That’s all. Not a lecture that I seam you be getting b

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,721 Posts
So, you have been loading for a while now, where have you been getting your load data?

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,439 Posts
The truth is that I have been reloading for awhile now. But just started with my 300 blackout. The other day I was reading how some people where using magnum primers. Just wanted to get some opinions. That’s all. Not a lecture that I seam you be getting b
I've gone through all of my reloading manuals, and of those which mention the .300 Blackout at all, all recommend the small rifle primer. None suggested that you need a magnum primer. As to which book is best, I find the Hornady to be the most useful, and the Lyman the least helpful. I will not use Lee data at all, unless I'm using my 50 year old Lee Loader (my first reloading "equipment"). :)

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
A while is how long? I'm not being a smart aleck but, collectively there is several centuries worth of experience on the board. I've been reloading a while also, 60 years a while and, I'm still learning.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts