The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many rimfire scopes at 4x, or 3-9x, but serious shooters use scope up to 16 or even 20... just curious what ranges you shoot at, and what zoom magnification you use the most. My Marlin 60 has a fixed 4, and I'd like to go to a higher poewr for when I'm shooting at 100+ yards.

Also, does a higher magnification mean smaller groups?

·
Banned
17,476 Posts
4x with the wmr and LR ( .22 )

12 x on the Tikka T3 ( .223 )

if your skills are up to it yes it will help groups

but your skills count more than the magnification

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I use 4-6 and hardly ever go over 6 on my 30-06 deer rifle. The more magnification you use the more your wiggle shows up.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
I have an 8-32x44 on a 22lr that stays on 32 for shooting paper. There is very little wiggle since it is shot from a rest.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
7x fixed Leupold mainly, or iron sights for hunting (weather tends to be extremely wet here).

otherwise, I like to have a variable scope that has 1x up to at least 4x, preferably 6x. That way I can have a reflex sight and a nice scope for longer distance, covers all bases.

Terrain is thick here but once you cut treeline or get a gap, you can see a long ways off. with it being wet about 7 months or so out of the year, iron sights have their advantage. But a scope will certainly help at distance and like to use one when I can.

4x is probably what I use most. (weaver on my .17hmr plinker, ACOG, Elcan spectre, 3-9x scopes normally stay on 3 or 4x)

·
Banned
649 Posts
Simmons 4-14x44 with Smart Rangefinding Reticle

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've got a 3x9x32 simmons on my Marlin model 60. I use that rifle mostly for Squirrel hunting and general pest control. About the only time it spends much time up on 9 power is when I'm punching paper with it. I mostly shoot it at 50-75 yards, so 9 power is plenty for that.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I have a 3x9 on a Marlin 60 and that is good enough for busting .50" paint balls at 50 yards. I also have a 6x18 on a Ruger 10/22 that is bench rested and shot out to 100 yards because that is all the range I have available. The larger magnification seems to make things easier for me and I like the fact that I can see my hits through the scope.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
2.5X on my deer shotgun. When me and my eyeballs were younger I used 4X for everything but now I find myself using 6X because I get a clearer sight picture and that is more important than the extra magnification of 9x or 12x.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I use my Simmons 4-18 and it usually stays on 18.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I see so many rimfire scopes at 4x, or 3-9x, but serious shooters use scope up to 16 or even 20... just curious what ranges you shoot at, and what zoom magnification you use the most. My Marlin 60 has a fixed 4, and I'd like to go to a higher poewr for when I'm shooting at 100+ yards.

Also, does a higher magnification mean smaller groups?
My .22's are scoped with straight 4 power scopes. I do have variable scopes on some of my larger caliber guns, but I usually set them at 4 and forget about them. The higher magnification does help you see those small holes in the targets, but as Hawg said, the more magnification you use the more your movement of the gun shows up. I don't have much trouble keeping the cross hairs on the dot at 100 yards with 4 power, but when I crank it up to 9, or better, I can't get the cross hairs on the dot. The cross hairs move everytime my heart beats.

G

·
I am running a 6-18x on my 511x and I am running a Weaver Kt-15 15x40mm on my 513t.

It all depends on what you want and what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
For target shooting, I have a 6.5-24x Sightron SII Big Sky on my .22lr. At 100 yards I can put the dot reticle on a 1/4 inch size bullseye. The scope usually stays on 22x power for target shooting.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I also like a 4x fixed on my .22's. I mostly use them for hunting at 50 yards and less. Will shoot out to 100 on the range, but no problem using 4x for that either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts