The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few different pumps, a single shot and a double barrel at times but never a semi-auto shotgun. Probably will do some skeet shooting as well as duck hunting. I am sure Benelli will probably get the most nods but was wanting something under their prices. I want solid reliability/durability. What do you guys think??? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
In all honesty, price and fit are the 2 biggest factors. I personally like the fit of an auto 5 Browning; with my face shape and arm length that is the most natural and comfortable for me to shoot. As far as reliability,I feel that the new production autoloaders are all quite similar. If you have "special" needs or wants such as shooting 23/4 and 3.5 shells then maybe the Winchester x3 will be a good choice. The 1100 or 1187 are fine, Browning has re-introduced the auto 5 with a lot of Benelli in it.... haven't seen one or heard reports as yet.

In any case screw in chokes are not even an option, for a do-all gun they are a must have feature.

Happy (gun) hunting.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm going to suggest the Beretta 391. It's set up for personalized fit and is durable enough for competition shooting. The Benelli line is the hardest kicking gun there is. If you want to know what to get, go to a local Sporting Clays competition; you won't see any Benelli's there but lots of Berettas.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've shot a Mossberg semi-auto, Remington 1100, and an old Browning A-5. The A-5 has a bouncing barrel that is supposed to absorb recoil, but the Remington I shot had the least recoil, by far.

·
Registered
19,216 Posts
i have to give a nod to a browning auto 5 as well.. or a guin using it's patent / similar.. like a rem 11/12 or one of the store brands like western field.. etc..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to go shopping and see how those feel. I will probably lean towards the Browning or Remington but I will just have to see. It is always a great time to go "gun store hunting" :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Consider the used gun market. The Remington 11-48, recoil operated, no worry about gas port getting clogged while cleaning. Basically John Browning's patent in modern design. We have several, and they've been operating flawlessly for many years. Also a lot less cost than Benelli and other gas operated designs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, Thanks! I will look into the Rem 11-48.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to go shopping and see how those feel. I will probably lean towards the Browning or Remington but I will just have to see. It is always a great time to go "gun store hunting" :)
I'm an 1100 fan myself, and you can pick them up used for around $300.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a mossberg 935 2 years ago and it has preformed very well. It worked great on those sub zero days when my brother Bennlli didnt. Any way it as good gun for the price

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had several Mossberg pumps that have been good. Haven't heard a whole lot about their semis. I should take a better look at them.

·
Premium Member
21,891 Posts
I'm an 1100 fan myself, and you can pick them up used for around $300.
My son took your advise on the 1100 last year. He loves it. He is now hitting 20 to 25 in trap with it. He was lucky to get an 1100 trap gun for $450. It also came with a skeet barrel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopefully I will get out this weekend and look around. Want to take a look at the Rem1100 and whichever Brownings I can find. These are getting the most nods so far. Just see what I find for the prices. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went out a looked a little bit. I ran across a used Browning A5 that I am thinking about. I saw a Rem 11-87 that had a decent price too. Most of the other new ones that I liked were out of my price range right now. I will keep looking.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
My son took your advise on the 1100 last year. He loves it. He is now hitting 20 to 25 in trap with it. He was lucky to get an 1100 trap gun for $450. It also came with a skeet barrel.
I'm glad he's enjoying that gun! Tell him I said hello! Hope to see you both again, and soon too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I went back to get the A5 but somebody else beat me to it. So I am still looking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.