What Shotgun to buy?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by corsair, May 2, 2009.

1. corsair

corsair Member

Hello
    I'm looking to buy a shotgun to just keep in house for self protection.Have plenty of high power pieces now but never owned a shotgun and would like the family members to be comfortable with the use of a good reliable rifle w/o too much intimidation for them if needed...TIA
    Al

2. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

shotgun for SD goes against my grain but if you are serious and want is useable by the whole family any 20ga pump will do. You should take them along and make them part of the purchasing so that they feel more comfortable with it and of course my favorite part, take them out shooting to get used to how it works. Don't want to learn on the job with an SD weapon.

3. corsair

corsair Member

WAS planning on doing all that.There have been a few bear and wild turkey visitors around. Thanks for the response. I will look into the 20's

4. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Heres two you might look at.The Remington 870 and the Winchester speed pump defender are both well made american shotguns. The 20 GA is a good choice if recoil is a problem. You can also try Simms recoil pads. They can greatly reduce felt recoil !

5. corsair

corsair Member

Much Obliged.

6. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Don't forget Mossberg. Reliable and much more affordable!

mike
    gn

7. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

how much are you willing to spend???

8. techoca

techoca New Member

+1 on the Mossberg. Great gun, great price.

9. corsair

corsair Member

How much to spend is less important to me than getting the right rifle that will be compatable with the the family members that include my adult children and thier children.
    Trying to finally get them interested after all the years of not pressing the issue. Unfortunately I never owned a shotgun, only M1's so I want to be sure of what I buy.
    Appreciate the info so far.

10. doug66

doug66 Member

I keep a Rem. 870 and a Win. 1300 at the ready.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I got lucky earlier this week and found a Mossberg 930SPX ( non pistol grip ) and I am in love ...;)

Found it at my local dicks S.G. store,it was the display model but I was not too concerned about that and at $599 I was / am a happy camper..:p

Solid gun,the sight system is excellent and it is much lighter than the 870 marine magnum it replaced ( wanted a autoloader ) and it shoulders like a dream,best shotgun I have ever used / owned,only thing I am adding is a light,probably a Fenix TA30 W/ remote switch...$102 shipped.

12. Mike U.

Mike U. New Member

right in the middle of the Sunshine State!
    You know, if you buy used you'll likely save a goodly amount of money.

I've found the greater majority of used shotguns I've handled are very serviceable. On another forum, one old shotgunner pointed out that a used shotgun is just a new shotgun that's already broken in. Might want to consider that if you don't want to take the time and money to break in a new shotgun yourself. Takes hundreds of rounds to smooth up the action in pumps.

20 gauge is a good idea if the women in your household are recoil sensitive.
    Even if you go with a 12 gauge, there are many reduced recoil loads to be found out there from the major makers.
    Good luck in your search!

13. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I put my vote in for Mossberg. It's American made, affordable, and you can rely on it. What else can you ask for?

14. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

I would start with a pump. The Mossberg 500 combo model would be a good choice. It comes with 18.5" & 28" barrels. I would go with a 12Ga shotgun because it would be more versatile. You can shoot low recoil shells out of it that will feel like a 20Ga.

For home defense low recoil shells are the way to go for faster follow up shots.

GC