what should i do. ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

oneshotonekill
    (2/26/02 1:29:07 pm)
    | Edit | Del All what should i do.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    need some advice fellow gun lovers. i live out in the country unfortuantly i still have neighbors close enough to bother me, or at least their dogs. Every night at 430 am there dogs are in my back messing with the one i have driving him nuts and waking me up. i have talked to the owner several times and he still refusses to keep them in his own yard. last night after being awaken again i fired a warning shot over the dogs as they started to run back to thier yard.. but i have a feeling that isnt going to keep them away. I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT DEADLY FORCE against the animals next time they wake me up. Any ideas, comments, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 1:34:18 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: what should i do.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to TFF oneshotonekill

How about pepper spray? A shot of that in the eye's and they probably won't return for sometime.

It's unwise to pay too much...but it's worse to pay too little.

oneshotonekill
    (2/26/02 1:35:47 pm)
    Thanks ive thought of that but as soon as i open the doors they take off.. so i dont know if i could get close enough to get them

bondai
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 1:49:01 pm)
    Welcome to TFF.

Living in the country presents it's own set of problems, thats for sure. Have you contacted local Law enforcement to get their view on the situation ? I do think that I would be very careful firing warning shots at 4:30 in the morning. You could easily wind up on the wrong end of the law if one of your rounds accidently hits someone. Never under estimate how far a bullet can travel.

I would contact the local LEOS and get their opinion and then proceed from there. Rural laws vary from state to state.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 1:50:17 pm)
    rocksalt comes to mind

oneshotonekill
    (2/26/02 1:53:03 pm)
    Thank you i have talked to law enforcement and they said there is nothing they can do because im in missouri and there are no leash laws for out in the county..and i was very carefull with my warning shot. i have 3 acres of trees as well as a large hill so if by chance the bullet missed all 200 trees it wasnt going anywhere but into the side of my hill.. thanks for the advice though and input..

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 1:53:58 pm)
    Down here in Texas....

Shoot

Eat

NO EVIDENCE!!

oneshotonekill
    (2/26/02 1:54:04 pm)
    are there rockshot rounds for 22's ???

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 2:13:55 pm)
    two words, paintball gun
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 2:18:43 pm)
    cops say tough? ask them what their response will be, after you shoot your neighbors dogs during an 'attack'. Ask those lazy bastards how much they'll enjoy coming out to your properties to deal with you and your neighbor, once they 'allow' (by neglect) the situation to escalate out of control.
    Better yet, press the LEOs to tell you how to deal with the situation. They'll find the easier path is having a chat with your neighbor.

no form of 'Animal Control' in your district?

and for God's sake, before you splash crap all over the rest of us with an improper use of a firearm - talk directly with your neighbor (again?).
    Tell your neighbor that if they refuse to restrain their animals you are going to protect your animal, first with non-lethal means.
    I would do this in writing. Hell, I'd send a copy to the Sheriff, too.
    Get a BB-gun, or better yet, a PAINTBALL gun. Lie in wait for the beasts.
    Once those dogs come home covered in welts and paints, you'll have a situation on your hands, but not as bad of one as outright killing them would cause.

And hopefully, those dogs might just decide for themselves that coming to your house is a no-win situation.

The trick in any situation is to clearly state Cause and Effect to everyone involved.

And when your neighbor complains, tell them all "well, I could have chosen to KILL them."

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 2:32:34 pm)
    I've had the very same problem, I talked to the owners with the same result, NONE, then it's all very simple, use bird shot field loads. Open the door, when they run give'em a few yards so the're not killed, let em have it. I used 12 ga trench gun. You'll be suprised how smart dogs are. I had to repeat the treatment a month or so later on the big boy dog. You'd have to kill him now and drag him into my yard. The owner asked me about it, and I described the non lethal lesson to him, he thought it was funny. The only thing is, you need to be sure your dogs don't bother him, he may have a different solution than you do.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 2:36:08 pm)
    Short story.
    My neighbor had some calves killed by domestic dogs, (diagnosed at the University vet clinic) Me think coyote.
    He told his hired man to shoot any dog he saw. My other neighbors Irish setter and my 6 mount old German shorthair were chasing birds when they wound up on the wrong end of a 22-250.
    I tried to sue him for what I had invested in my dog, but got thrown out of court.

My suggestion is.

Dig a shallow grave, aim low, and as Schultz would say; I know nuthink

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/26/02 2:53:59 pm)
    Welcome to TFF oneshotonekill
    I think the statue of limitations has run out so, I'll tell my story. My neighbor had the biggest puppy dog a man could want to be pestered with. He knew when supper time was at my house and always inited hisself over for dinner (kibble's and bits! My poor little ole dogs were intimidated by his bulk size and never got to eat. I approched him in a neighborly way and he hating cops and knowing we had no leash law just gave me the F/U attitude. So I sat cool for a few days and then made up a batch of the best home made stew that you would ever want to eat. I put my puppies in the house, set the stew out where they always ate and with in an hour his dog was sick, sick, I say. I hollered at him acorss the fence and told him, that I thought his dog was sick and he needed to come tend to it. He came back the next day all huffed up saying his dog had been poisioned! I didn't have a clue as to waht he was talking about. But I never did find my gallon of anti-freeze the following winter I was looking for. OH Well!
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

tireman
    (2/26/02 3:04:20 pm)
    | Edit | Del same problem
    neighbors got a rottwieler for b-day present--is now 120 lbs of fury--came at me saturday and scared me to death-wife brings out my glock and i missed a clip at him--running fast---bad shot--the dog was chasing my cats and they all went up a memosa tree--the dog tore all the bark off one side trying to climb the tree-the whole time im banging his head with a broomstick--he just got more pissed--tried to get over my deck fence at me again,by then i had 4 bullets in a clip and missed all 4--shot high on purpose--had flat tires this morn---wonder why????what should i do?????

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/26/02 3:11:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: same problem
    SLINGSHOT start with something soft it will get their attention.
    cointoss2

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 3:17:53 pm)
    "tireman"

#1 Air up tires

#2 Shoot lower

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 3:19:29 pm)
    Tireman; Thats crazy

Cat salad with antifreeze dressing.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/26/02 3:21:41 pm)
    sexually assualt the dog! (you know what (i mean)
    Shoot the owner!
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

thesupermonkey
    (2/26/02 3:31:48 pm)
    Haven't you guys ever heard of rubber buckshot?! A couple of ounces of rubber from two barrels at a few yards would make the point wouldn't it?

But really, I suggest you document EVERYTHING very well. Video tape the dogs if possible. Write and call the police several times and don't forget to document the exact conversation and officer's name. At least if you DO have to shoot them, you'll look great because you chose non-lethal force, your neighbor will have to explain why he can't keep his dogs in his yard, and the police will have to acknowledge you had filed several previous complaints.

Edited by: thesupermonkey at: 2/26/02 3:32:26 pm

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (2/26/02 4:58:51 pm)
    gpostal send em yer recording of "Blue Moon Over Miami"*
    ---- Howlin's polite after that!

Charlie D
    Plantive ta say tha least!
    * Hottest CD ya can find fer
    dogs an other critters of
    your choice...

a81492
    (2/26/02 4:59:03 pm)
    | Edit | Del Give me an A...... give me an R.........
    give me a C......

H
    E
    R
    Y

Whats it spell ????? Stuck mutts. Guts makes the grass grow.

FWIW. Could be opportunity for some early a.m. bow markmanship drills. Heavy on the DRILL.
    Easy on the ears.

joey

Hangfire
    (2/26/02 5:12:22 pm)
    Do what the ranchers do in Colorado.

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/26/02 6:13:51 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Give me an A...... give me an R.........
    I was sued and fined for killing a problem cat just outside of town.

I know a guy who lives outside of town and the neighbors dogs were chasing his cats. He used a shotgun off the deck at close range and killed three dogs. he called his nieghbor to come and get the dead dogs. Nieghbor called Sherrif who came out and looked around. The Sherrif then told the nieghbor to get his dead dogs of my friends property. He has had no more problems.

State law in SD if a person sees any dog harrassing livestock anyone may shoot and kill it. That is pretty much how it is worded too.

If the dogs are on your property causing problems I don't think there is a thing they can do to you for protecting your property. I would tell the dogs owner and the sherrif your plans if they do not take action.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

velvetnsteel
    (2/26/02 10:32:25 pm)
    Sounds like the 'give the cops a chance to look bad' idea is good. Tell everybody involved one more time, document it, and then use necessary force.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/27/02 9:48:51 am)
    oneshotonekill
    don't know what part of MO you're in but around here if your dog is off your property it's open season and I'm pretty sure that's state law on the matter same goes for other livestock whether it's owned by an individual (cows, hogs, etc.) or the state (deer and varmits)

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/27/02 4:48:46 pm)
    I'm on the board of directors of our local co-op, I was in the store today for a meeting and saw a new product on the shelf called the Scarecrow, it is a motion activated sprinkler that chases animals out of your yard. Dogs, cats, rabbits, deer, raccoons.

Check it out at www.scatmat.com

Email [email protected]

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/27/02 4:57:26 pm)
    This product won't chase Nakkid wimmin out of your yard, will it? HUH?
    We buy guns! email us with what you have to offer!

BlackGUN

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/27/02 5:40:57 pm)
    What if its a lab ...they LIKE water.

She had more goosebumps on her than two nudists in a snowstorm.

And where do nudists carry their car keys.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/27/02 6:01:50 pm)
    I've got a miniature Snauzer than totally loves a water sprinkler!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 6:25:05 pm)
    My Daddy told me about a time he strung a hotwire for a pesty dog... he heard a yelp 1 day, and all he seen go by was a brown streak of shit!!! And that be the truth!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/28/02 11:30:51 am)
    Good thing those nudists did not get into that hot wire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.