The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to get quite a collection of waste primers. There are about 4,000 in my decapping bucket and I wonder if I should just put them in the trash or do they have any recycle value?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I chuck them in the trash. I suppose you could sell 'em for scrap metal if you got enough of them!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I can get $30 for a gallon bucket full I'll just keep collecting them. $30 will almost buy me a pound of powder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have often wondered about "reloading" primers. I've done it, but I haven't actually tried a "reloaded" primer in a cartridge yet.

Here's what I did:

I popped the anvil out of the cup and, using a broad-pointed punch, pounded out the dent in the primer cup.

Then I trimmed a cap, like we used in our "cap guns" when we were kids, so that it would fit in the cup.

After seating the cap in the primer cup, I re-seated the anvil so it would hold the cap in place.

I seated it into an empty case, but added no propellant or bullet. I discharged it in my S&W 27 with a 6" barrel. It worked, and I could even see a spark come out of the muzzle.

Things have not gotten desperate enough for me to actually try it with a loaded cartridge.

I hope my posting this does not cause a panic-buying spree that keeps our kids and grand kids from getting the "bang caps" that they need!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I mix mine with my bad brass and sell em to the scrap yard, but you can't mix em with other brass cuz of the fact that they won't take em. Somethin bout them bein hazardous or they ship somewhere else. Has somethin to do with the chemicals in em. At least that's what I was told.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I put them in my junk brass bucket to recycle and get money.

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
I throw them out on the back yard, in the woods.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Scrap yards here will take them but will not give ya full price as if it was clean brass. and now they are getting funny about the primers left in the case as well. Them little things will add up in weight.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I just save them in a bucket...like I save all steel/brass w/berdan...we have probably 1 full and 1 half full 55gal drum....may be useful at some point..does'nt take up much room in the barn compared to all my wife's crap:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
My scrap yard gives me brass price fer em but they have to buy em separately. That isn't a big deal as I have a coffee can that my berden 8mm and .22 shells go into. I just dump my primer tube into that coffee can. They say even bad decapped shells must be bought and kept separate.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I deprime over my scrap brass bucket. They are also made of brass and worth thier weight in brass scrap.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Recycle them, they're made of the same yellow brass that cartridge cases are made of.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
so far I got a can of primers,a nd a box of scrapbrass.. guess it all gets kept.

lately I've even been picking up the damaged scrap brass at the range, just for recycle.. same with the steel NR stuff.

went to the rang ethe other day and saw maybee 200pcs of 223 and 308 and 3006 brass all over the range concrete floor.. had lots of 9mm mixed in. it was all walked on and scratched up :( i did get maybee 20 pcs off the table of 9mm though that was good.

I think someone went in there with some auto guns and sprayed and left.. it was everywhere.. you couldn't walk without tripping on it.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
With my Lee loaders, I got to vacuum them out and I aint about to go through the vacuum bag to sort out old primers from all the other crap I clean up. Too much work for the buck.

EDIT: I am not bitching about Lee loaders so nobody get your panties in a knotl:D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts