The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to buy a 1911 in .45 caliber. I don't need a .45 I just want a .45. The problem is there are dozens of brands to choose from. I've held Colt, Remington, Kimber, Stoger, Springfield, and a couple of others I can't remember and they all feel about the same.

The prices vary quite a bit and I can't really see much difference between all the brands I've looked at so far. I'm willing to spend anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 (maybe more) to get the best accuracy and reliability available. I'm not interested in a limited edition or museum piece. I want something that I can shoot everyday at the range, looks good, but also something accurate and reliable - very reliable.

I'm not a gun collector I just like to shoot and reload, but I also want quality in whatever I shoot. I've looked at Les Baer and Ed Brown models on the internet, but never in person. Their specs look impressive, but I'm not sure I even know what all the specs mean. I'm not buying a gun for investment purposes I'm buying it to shoot. So I'm not able to judge the value of say a $750 gun vs a $3,000 gun.

Any comments, guidance, or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For that money, I would get a Wilson Combat. All the guns you will find in the price range will be awesome. The Kimber needs 400-500 rounds just to break it in. A lot of the others will run flawlessly right out of the box.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Springfield Armory TRP is a really good shooter on the low"er" end of your cost. I think they are around $1,400 new.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
My recommendation is in a Sig. I think they offer the best out of the box 1911s made. They seem to average aroun 1150 bucks depending on model and fit and finish are next to perfect on every one Ive ever seen. I have probably transferred a dozen of them for the same guy in the last 2 months. Even the new Sig Spartan, which was neat as hell as it had a bronze coating on it.

Second choice for a no frills accurate and utterly reliable 1911 is a Springfield TRP, A third choice would be any one of STIs 1911s. Their Spartan V is an excellent entry level 1911 and wont bust the bank at roughly 600 bucks.

I don't care for kimbers at all.

Les Baer, Wilson Combats, Ed Browns, and NightHawk Customs are all tip of the spear 1911s, but overpriced IMO. They are fine weapons, but Sigs and TRPs will run right along side them easily. I see it with my own 2 eyes regularly on the range with the guys at VX.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My recommendation is in a Sig. I think they offer the best out of the box 1911s made. They seem to average aroun 1150 bucks depending on model and fit and finish are next to perfect on every one Ive ever seen. I have probably transferred a dozen of them for the same guy in the last 2 months. Even the new Sig Spartan, which was neat as hell as it had a bronze coating on it.

Second choice for a no frills accurate and utterly reliable 1911 is a Springfield TRP, A third choice would be any one of STIs 1911s. Their Spartan V is an excellent entry level 1911 and wont bust the bank at roughly 600 bucks.

I don't care for kimbers at all.

Les Baer, Wilson Combats, Ed Browns, and NightHawk Customs are all tip of the spear 1911s, but overpriced IMO. They are fine weapons, but Sigs and TRPs will run right along side them easily. I see it with my own 2 eyes regularly on the range with the guys at VX.
Got to go with Josh on this one.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
buy a colt, colts a legendary gun maker, the guns have a better resale value, well atleast the single action army revolvers do. dont know about the semi autos, i dont know any semi autos that do. i shot a colt 1911 .45 several times and the weapon is very accurate and doesnt jam at all or have any problems. go with a colt 1911 .45

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Just about all of the top brands are making a nice 1911. You can easily over pay. I own 3-4 colts and they are good guns, but you pay extra for the name. I also own dozens of other brands that I can vogue for. There was just a thread made yesterday on the S&W E series 1911 and I own 2 of them and they are outstanding guns. So, go and wrap your hands around some and when you land on the one you like best, buy it. I will say that there is absolutely no need to spend 2-3 thousand on a 1911 to get a nice, dependable, accurate gun. I have a safe slam full of them and none of them cost that kind of money....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would look at STI, Sig, Colt, and Wilson Combat in your price range. Then it becomes a question of what options you want on your gun.

·
Administrator
32,504 Posts
In the upper range, Les Baer hands down. The Premier II is an amazingly accurate 1911. The lockup on these guns is tight and stay tight even after break in. But.....I have a Kimber Custom Target that shoots almost as good, after a little work.

The STI Spartan is an excellent 1911 for not a lot of $$. All the things you will probably add later and very accurate and just over $600. Match ready right out of the box. That says a lot. Mine could use a lighter trigger but since I haven't done it yet, it must not be a priority.

I haven't been impressed with Colt in a lot of years. As others say, you pay for the name. Now, I carry a Colt Combat Commander daily. It's had a lot of custom work done and is very accurate. If any of my 1911's won't hold a 1" group at 25 yds, I won't keep them.

I have owned several Wilson Combat 1911's including a Super Grade. Would I buy another one ? Not likely.

One of the things you will want is an adjustable rear sight. You can always shoot point of aim even when changing ammo.
I've owned a lot of SA 1911's from Mil-Spec to Trophy. All needed a little work to meet my standards. The Springfield Mil-Spec is an excellent platform for a custom build.

So, I recommend, low end. STI Spartan.
Upper end, LES Baer Premier II.
I've owned them all over the years and if I had owned these first, I would have only bought 2 1911's. :)

One more thing you need to be aware of. If you find a 1911 that doesn't fit you well, changes can be made. Grip too small, use a long trigger and an arched mainspring housing.
Grip too large, short trigger and a flat mainspring housing. Lots of combinations in between.

Good luck on your quest for the perfect 1911. It's out there even if you have it built. Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to the world of 1911's. :)

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
P.S. Once you go 1911, you never go back....

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Thats true. I cant seem to get enough. I have traded a few here lately, but I will replenish what I traded very soon. I still have a bunch. I just needed to get my AR & AK collection in order. But, they are the most enticing handgun ever built in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some of the things I would like to know are differences in metallurgy, ease (or difficulty) in cleaning or making modifications. I am especially interested in the trigger pull. I want a trigger with little or no travel, light pull, and short reset.

I'm also interested in the availability of parts and accessories for modifications or repair. I might want a lighter or heavier recoil spring or different trigger sear or springs and don't want to be limited to one source for parts. I just looked on Brownell's site and saw only 1 dedicated Les Baer part (frame) and only a few STI. I don't know enough about the 1911 to know what, if any, parts are interchangeable between brands or models or even if that should be an issue.

I guess what bothers me most is that I don't know what I don't know about 1911's. Buying guns is not like buying cars where you can test drive one before buying. Once you buy a gun there is no taking it back because you don't like it and there are very limited opportunities to try them out. The only shop around here that rents guns has only 1 1911 and it is a high point or high standard or some such.

Guess I need to do a lot more reading and research.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Most 1911 parts are interchangeable. It is literally the most customized gun out there. The 1911 trigger is a single action trigger that is in my opinion the best trigger out of the box of any gun out there. Most have an adjustment screw to adjust out any creep. I have found the 1911 to be the most accurate shooting handgun in my collection. But, I warn you, they are addicting. There are some here that have 35-40 of them. I am about half way there myself. I will no longer purchase any other style of handgun. Well, an occasional revolver maybe, but no more poly handguns for me...If you want the perfect carry gun, get a commander size 1911 with a scandium frame.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got to hold a Les Baer Premier II. The gun is used and the asking price is $1,800. I really liked the trigger and the gun does not look like it has ever been fired. It does not have night sights but the rear sight is adjustable.

Is $1,800 a good price for the gun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re:

I've decided to buy a 1911 in .45 caliber. I don't need a .45 I just want a .45. The problem is there are dozens of brands to choose from. I've held Colt, Remington, Kimber, Stoger, Springfield, and a couple of others I can't remember and they all feel about the same.

The prices vary quite a bit and I can't really see much difference between all the brands I've looked at so far. I'm willing to spend anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 (maybe more) to get the best accuracy and reliability available. I'm not interested in a limited edition or museum piece. I want something that I can shoot everyday at the range, looks good, but also something accurate and reliable - very reliable.

I'm not a gun collector I just like to shoot and reload, but I also want quality in whatever I shoot. I've looked at Les Baer and Ed Brown models on the internet, but never in person. Their specs look impressive, but I'm not sure I even know what all the specs mean. I'm not buying a gun for investment purposes I'm buying it to shoot. So I'm not able to judge the value of say a $750 gun vs a $3,000 gun.

Any comments, guidance, or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What to look for in a 1911? I have Auto-Ordance 1911 which works well for me plus it was the cheapest way for me to get something real close to what my Father carried during WW2 ETO.I have to police officer friends both of them carry the Kimber-same as a basic 1911 platform but with all the bells & whistles.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Would y'all be mad If I bought a Glock?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts