The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new mossberg 500 combo 12 gauge. It has the mossy oak camo for a finish. What do I do to the outside of the gun to keep it clean and in good condition? Do I just use regular gun oil? I don't want to screw up the camo finish. I am going deer hunting next week and they are calling for some crappy weather.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Rem oil doesnt hurt the finish on them. Steer clear of the solvent action blasters though. theyll eat it right off.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Rem oil doesnt hurt the finish on them. Steer clear of the solvent action blasters though. theyll eat it right off.
I've got the same Moss. 500 with the factory camo paint and as JLA says, I just rub it down with a light coat of Rem. Oil when I clean it and it still looks brand new.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Just be careful with any of the slovents that you would normally use in gun care. Be sure that you don't get any on the camo paint job.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
And when you do, as it is eventually gonna happen. Get it re-dipped. Theres a company here local to me that I use to have customers guns dipped. They offer everything from Exotic hardwood burl patterns to reaper black and reaper woods camo.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Heres a couple examples of the patterns they offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ballistol is great to use also.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
add another vote for rem-oil. I use it on my 870 mossy oak duck blind

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
These look really good but what does it cost roughly and can the do it without the skulls?
$130 stocks only, $260 entire gun and yes he has about 100 different patterns, proilly a dozen camo patterns. without skulls.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$130 stocks only, $260 entire gun and yes he has about 100 different patterns, proilly a dozen camo patterns. without skulls.
Cool! I will keep this in mind for guns in the future that I get that may need some help. I'm going to try to keep this new one looking good though.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Thats actually the sweet thing about camo patterns. The more dinged up they get the better they look IMO.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Frog Lube that thing, you'll not regret it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts