The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED: NEW PICS! What type of gun is this? I've never seen an action like it

Hey guys, new member, first post. Just got this rifle from my grandfather, I know nothing about it other than it hung on his wall for years, it looks like a kit build-up judging by the poor weld job. Any info on this rifle would be much appreciated, looking for : origin, ammunition it takes, the type of action/how the action works, does it use a flint or a percussion cap? A guess to the year?
Thanks, Jeff

· Premium Member
10,228 Posts
Welcome to TFF Heffe!!
As was said we really need pictures to be able to help you.There are allot of guns out there and without a picture it is impossible to determine witch one you have.
Mike

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: NEW PICS: What type of gun is this? I've never seen an action like it

hey guys and gals, obviously you need pictures, and invisible guns have really lost their value. i wasnt able to post pics from my ipad so it took me a couple days to get to anm actual pc. as stated befpre, i have yet to see an action like this, all i know is that my grandfather hung it on the wall for years. i think its a kit build replica judging by the pathetic weld job attempts. Looking for info regarding origin, the type of action, the type of ammunition, how to load it-(breach load, muzzle load) and any guesses on dates. this would be much appreciated.

Attachments

· TFF Chaplain
23,866 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Heffe. Thanks for the pictures. There are quite a few people who know their stuff on this forum and are more than happy to help others out. Enjoy the forum.

· Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I may be off the mark, but it looks similar to a Snyder conversion of a cap lock musket. Is it a smoothbore or rifled?

· Registered
1,088 Posts
Pretty sure with that back action lock it's a French Tabatiere.

When metallic cartridges became the rage, everybody was sitting
on a mountain of now obsolete muzzleloaders. Methods to convert
were popular.

In the US, it was the Allin conversion. In the UK--the Snider was the
hot ticket. France had the Tabatiere.

eta: I don't see a rear sight on your gun. It is most likely
a shotgun. The tabatiere rifles converted to shotgun are not
uncommon. Do a search for "zulu shotgun".

· Premium Member
10,228 Posts
Now that we have pics. it is allot easier to tell you what you have.
And with that said.
I have no idea what it is:confused:
Someone here will know :D
Sorry I could not help out but it looks like a nice gun :)
I will be watching to see what it is and learn.
Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.