What Was the Objective?

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (6/9/01 9:35:00 pm)
    | Del All
    ezSupporter
    What Was the Objective?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just watched on the History Channel the helicopter pilot's role in Vietnam. Saw a whole lot of familiar things, having gone through the Army flight school in 1966 and then to Vietnam in 1967.
    The one thing that was said that really sticks in my mind is that someone remarked that the whole problem with Vietnam was that we had no objective. Agree/Disagree?

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (6/9/01 10:22:27 pm)
    | Del Re: What Was the Objective?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave...I just watched the same program. Thought about you during the showing of it. Objective? I always thought it was to rid Vn of commies...to avoid a domino effect in SEA. However, while watching the documentary tonight, it seems like all we were doing was running helter-skelter from one place to another...from one AO to another...with no clear mission. It's like it was a day to day war. Not weeks, not months...no long term! Just a day to day effort. As one GI said during the doc..."one day we take this hill, the next day we abandoned it. One week later, we take the same hill". I liked what one GI said..."we didn't lose the war in VN, we lost it in Washington". Very true.

mt pari
    (6/10/01 1:17:18 am)
    | Del Re: What Was the Objective?
    I saw the same show and how very true, we did not lose the war in Viet Nam, what went on in Washington, makes Water Gate, Clinton and all the other junk look like nursery school. Lot's of dirty hands at the expense of our youth.