What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by cannonman, Jul 6, 2020.

1. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

I've made pounds and pounds of BP but this is the first time I was dismayed. My KCLO3 was prilled. This worked fine when I ran it through a coffee grinder and once ball milled it. This time I ball milled it and it came out feeling damp. I added more balls and let it run for some 30 hours. It still had a bit of a gritty feeling. I keep my float charcoal in an air tight container. After screening the stuff it never came to the same hardness as all other batches. Usually my stuff is screened - some call corning - for cannon application and is extremely hard. This time you can grab a handful and crush it into powder? I think my KCLO3 might have been damp? I only made 2# of the stuff and still have about 5# in a jar. Now what? Do you think I could put it into solution, dry it and re-mill? Or....?

rawright54 and sharps4590 like this.
  2. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have you tried some of those desiccant pouches that look like chewing wads & come packed in some small overseas items? You can re-use them by drying them in the micr-wave or warming oven. If your problem is moisture, that should help without polluting the mixture.

3. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Yurp! Thinking alike. I've got a wood moisture meter and as soon as I find where in the world I put it, I want to try it. When I lived in New Mexico, moisture was non-existent. Now here in beautiful Tennessee, well ya can drink the air. I don't puck as I only want cannon BP. I'm not sure if the pressure of pucking would help rid the humidity problem.

4. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

If your making your powder at home, next time you make another batch , try lowering the temperature in the house for a few hours by putting the A/C in the 60's. The cold air will dry up any moisture in the house.

5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

For what I know about it, I believe your last sentence is your answer.

6. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

Thanks. I make this outdoors. Usually 5# at a time. I think I'll put this batch in the vault where I can control the humidity level. I'm wondering if I should take this batch to a slurry, dry and screen from there. I won't puck even though I make my own puck-er-izer. There about 4" in diameter so 5# would take a very long time and the only grinder I have makes about F2 which is too fast for what I want. Hope to have a good answer back here in a while.

I have a 45-70 TC. It's scares most. I was wondering what a 45-90 is like? or a 45-110? I think the latter is as long as they get? Massive round! Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2020
    BlackEagle likes this.
  7. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

My "normal" .50cal muzzle loader load is 110gr.
    I tried 3 rounds at 150gr. Pretty good thump, but not as bad as 12ga goose loads. Accuracy was terrible. 110gr shoots 3-4". 150gr was 8".