The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my first question I wanted to ask you guys on what would be a realistic future assault rifle, pistol and shotguns IF YOU HAD unlimited budget to design and produce them ?

Also, do you know someone who might be able to do visualizations?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only gun I've ever considered good enough to replace all small arms would be an American 180.
All the firerate and capacity and zero recoil. Try to find video of one jamming and you can't. That's unheard of for .22's
Pistol would be .22 TCM. You look back 200 years and bullets have only been getting faster and lighter. Pistols should follow suit. We shouldn't still be comparing 130+ year old .45acp to 120 year old 9mm.
Any shotgun would be futuristic if they would abandon rimmed shells and use fast burning powders making high rifle pressures and velocities with shorter thicker barrels.

·
Premium Member
12,931 Posts
You beat me too it @flboots With budget but being considered I’d have to go with an M14A1. There’s a reason they put them back in service in that God forsaken desert.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I'm not that smart. But with today's technology, soon, no human will be safe on a battlefield who fires a shot. I was amazed when returning vets told me how they could track incoming mortars and quickly fire right back to the point of launch.

Reactions: flboots

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
To me they already made it - the M14. Whatever would be the "perfect rifle" to be perfect everything would have to be made in the U.S.A. so that if SHTF, we wouldn't have to rely on somebody else to make it for us or risk supply of either the weapon or parts to be subject to disruption.

Anybody see the current weapons qualification course? What a joke. Soldiers fire from supported barricades. No prone, kneeling or firing off hand - all shots are fired from a barricade rest. I hope I am wrong on this one - but that is what I'm seeing. I've been out of the loop on Training 40 years, but I did a quick scan (my DIL is a Reservist and about to do Annual Qualification - that's where I saw this). This is one time I wouldn't mind "my buddy's" snarky comments to prove me wrong. Jump on in Pal - tell me I'm wrong. Please! Seriously.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd like to see our military adopt a Modern Weapons system around a cartridge similar to the 250 savage for an infantry rifle and machine gun, and maybe the 6.5 PRC as a platoon Sniper Rifle.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
what would be a realistic future assault rifle, pistol and shotguns
In the future: Either a handheld magnetic rail gun system and / or case less ammunition. Projectile type and diameter specific to the task at hand ... Urban assault, Snipping, Jungle, Desert, Barricaded situation(s).

Reactions: flboots

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
How would it work caseless ammunition?
Caseless ammunition is when the cartridge is comprised of a bullet (projectile) and the balance of the components act as the propellant. Picture a typical cartridge and the Brass is actually made of gun powder - no primer. The round is "set off" by an electric charge produced by the firearm. No brass, no primer - less weight , less cost, smaller cartridge. Faster feed and no ejection concerns.

Reactions: 45 Forever 2

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
For my first question I wanted to ask you guys on what would be a realistic future assault rifle, pistol and shotguns IF YOU HAD unlimited budget to design and produce them ?

Also, do you know someone who might be able to do visualizations?
Any AR full auto select fire rifle that has more ammo than your enemy.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Caseless ammunition is when the cartridge is comprised of a bullet (projectile) and the balance of the components act as the propellant. Picture a typical cartridge and the Brass is actually made of gun powder - no primer. The round is "set off" by an electric charge produced by the firearm. No brass, no primer - less weight , less cost, smaller cartridge. Faster feed and no ejection concerns.
Newer more advanced version of the cannons on the battleships that used the big powder bales

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
A cell phone and a predator flying overhead has been known to be highly effective.

M14/M1A1 will always be one of the best battle rifles to ever hit the field.

An M16 in 243 win or 7mm-08 would have been a strong weapon. The 22 cal was a bad choice for a main battle rifle. FN FAL would be good if it were more accurate. AK falls short because of range and accuracy.

P90 for up close or the AA12.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.