What would you do?.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by goofy, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:42 PM.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

This is the short version.
    I had a customer that brought in a old double barrel That he was putting on a hand cut stock. He needed me to set in the side plates, triggers, bottom plate and sett he barrel. I got it done and he came and got it with the intent to fire it. I told him that it was a black powder gun and the barrels were in bad shape and this is a wall hanger. He said he was going to shoot it anyway so to cover my butt on the recite I added that this gun should not be fired and made him sign it.
    He saw a .22 that I had just got done refinishing (Wood and steel) and said he would be back to buy it.
    He came back and started to tell me how he shot the double and I stopped him and said "I don't want to hear it because I told him not to".
    So he bought the .22 it is a Remington 550-1 semi auto. I explained that this gun (Like all .22 semi autos) is ammo sensitive and he should shoot high velocity ammo and get a few small boxes of different makers to see what this gun likes to eat. He said no proublem and left. I got a call from him the next day saying the gun is jamming and when I asked what kind of ammo he is using he said "Oh just some stuff my neighbor had in a jar" I asked if it was high velocity he said "No I don't think so" so I told him to bring it back and I would check it.
    He came in and I took it outside and shot 2 tubes full with out any problem's. I used Federal high velocity.
    He said his wife was super mad at him and he should give it back and get his money back.
    This is 2 weeks sense he bought it.
    I told him about our return policy and sense the gun is all scratched up (IT looked like he was throwing it around) I would not take it back. And if I did I would only give him 50% of what he paid because I would have to redo it all over again before I could sell it. He said "No way" he said he would just use the ammo he had for a while and buy some new ammo when he could.
    After many phone calls from him saying it will not work (Keeps jamming) and wanted to get ALL his money back I told him the gun will work with the right ammo and he needs to go get some new ammo and shoot it.
    The phone calls included him cussing and telling me his wife did not know he was spending money for it and he is in big trouble.
    I told him that he messed up a gun that was in perfect condition and would not give him all his money back.
    I asked him if he was shooting the ammo I told him to get and he said "No just the stuff my neighbor gave me" And said his neighbor said there is no such thing as a gun being ammo sensitive and I was BSing him. I told him to look on the internet to see I was right.
    He called again and said he called Remington and they told him I was right and he should try CCI mini mags.
    Well yesterday I was closed (With 3 signs saying closed) because of my road and drive way being covered with ice. I was working and the door slammed open to the shop and I grabbed my gun and met him face to face with him holding the .22 and me holding a .45
    I went off on him asking if he could read and he is lucky VERY LUCKY that something did not happen.
    After 1 hour of trying to explain about .22s and my return policy he was "asked" to leave.
    I had a message on the phone this morning saying he was coming back with his wife and I was going to give him ALL his money back.
    SO far he has not showed up so here is my question.
    What would you do?.
    If you were in my place how would you Handel it?.
    I will add this He spent half the time telling me the gun is not hitting the center of the bullet and that's why its not working. It took me some time to explain what a rim fire gun is.
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    cec2, David13, carver and 6 others like this.
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Stand your ground. Sounds like you are just upholding your well-established business practices.

cec2, Hawg, carver and 12 others like this.

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

No way i'd give him his money back. Tell him to go get his wife a nice Valentines gift to make up for his not telling her about the gun before he bought it. And if she still has her panties in a bunch, tell him to man up and tell her, it's my gun get over it!

cec2, Hawg, carver and 12 others like this.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

It took me 1 hour to get him to understand why a .22 does not have a primer in middle of the rim.
    I think this guy is as smart as a railway wood spike.
    Mike

cec2, Hawg, carver and 10 others like this.
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

SORRY FOR PUTTING THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM.:(
    Mike

carver, Ksman75, flboots and 2 others like this.
  6. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Man Mike, i hope this guy isn't one of your average customers!

David13, carver, crystalphoto and 6 others like this.
  7. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Stand your ground. If the rifle was still in the restored condition I would have gave him his money back. But, since it wasn't I would have done as you did. Good luck! Sounds like you have a Darwin winner on your hands!

cec2, Hawg, Conman and 11 others like this.
  8. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Boy you’re in trouble now. He’s bringing his wife............I’m sure you’re quaking in your boots. Sounds like this guy is a royal pansy. You’ve gone out of your way to make this work and he’s just too stupid to figure it out. And sadly probably too stupid to even own a gun. If I my suggest, at this point I wouldn’t even engage them in conversation. They just need to leave and never return. Some business just isn’t worth the heartache.

David13, Hawg, carver and 15 others like this.
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately, dealing with the public isnt always easy. That being said, I would tell him he is no longer welcome on your property.

David13, Hawg, carver and 13 others like this.
  10. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA
    I remember you saying you have some LEO family/friends. Id have one or two local LEOs on standby and warn him at the door that he is not welcome and will be forcibly removed.

cec2, David13, Hawg and 10 others like this.
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sounds like you're dealing with what Proverbs calls a first class fool.:(

If it took an hour to explain the difference between a center fire and rim fire cartridge to him, a box of rocks has a few IQ points on him. :rolleyes:

Maybe his wife will hear what you are saying and understand it...then he will be in real trouble.:eek:

Maybe his black powder shotgun will blow up on him and eliminate the problem?:confused:

I second that. Do you still have the LEO partner?

cec2, carver, howlnmad and 6 others like this.
  12. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ah, can’t go calling the COPS every time you have to deal with a knucklehead, and his wife. I don’t think they’re violent, just morons, and who knows what this mental Lilliputian has told her. Sounds like he turned in his man card long ago. He bought it, there’s nothing wrong with it, he screwed up the finish and it’s now his. That’s just how it goes. If they’d like to take this further they’re welcome to take you to court which dollars to doughnuts won’t happen.

Hawg, carver, howlnmad and 7 others like this.
  13. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kinda reminds me of the female police officer we'd sold an off duty revolver to - it was a Smith Model 36 Chief's Special. Anyway, she has to qualify with this item before she can be authorized to carry it, so off she goes to the police range. Comes back the next morning complaining the Smith "wouldn't fire all the time" - her words. She holds out her hand with a palm full of .38 Spl wadcutter reloads that'd failed to fire, each with a primer strike. "Where'd you get these?" I ask. "Oh, I picked them up off the floor at the range" says she. Back in those days I carried a .38 Smith Model 40 Centennial as a BUG, so I dumped the wadcutter reloads from her Chief Special and replaced them with the rounds from my Centennial. "Try these" said I. She looked kinda puzzled, and on her way out asked if she could have the dud wadcutters back. No, I didn't give them to her. That was probably thirty five years ago. I imagine she's made Detective 1st Grade by now, maybe even Deputy Chief. :)

cec2, Conman, carver and 14 others like this.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Better yet, tell him to take his wife's panties off and give them back to her.

Give him a complimentary box of Mini-mags and in a very nice way tell him and mama to pound sand, on someone else's property.

cec2, David13, Hawg and 9 others like this.
  15. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Put up a sign by the cash register that says all gun sales are final. Also have a sheet stating the same thing that they sign and date.
    Tell his wife you will give her "5" percent off the next sale and a free box of ammo for her troubles. Make friends with her and you will have two customers and she will tell hiim to sit down and shut up.

cec2, David13, carver and 8 others like this.