WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Well-Known Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 6:07:25 pm)
    WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Storytime guys and gals .....

True so very true ..... I oughtta know cause it actually happened to me.

Picture it .... Sicily 1907 .... No numb numb .... Thats a spin off from Ma of Golden Girls. Let's try this again here :)

Picture it .... Hue City, February 18, 1967. The gloomy gray skies are slowly drifting away and it's beginning to get dark. Word from the top has it that the NVA are going to attempt an assault on our position from the other side of the Phu Cat Canal which branches off of the Perfume River. We've been poppin' caps at each other all day long and takin' casualties. We're hungry, tired, soakin' wet, miserable and just plain pissed. "Ain't nothin' but a thing".

The canal is lined with buildings of many different shapes and sizes and of course they all have the infamous corrugated tin roofs. From all the destruction that has gone about theres not much left but enough for cover should the need arise. Small yards line the canal banks as well and this is where we are to dig in and get ready. There have already been "numerous" holes and craters about from previous shelling so we all just kinda slither into the holes ... get comfy (yeah right) and begin the wait.

Bad enough its pitch black but it has to get a wee bit foggy with a very slight drizzle (after all it is Monsoon season). Not long into the night it starts ... Kabooms all over the place and all around us. Time to get down here cause this has got to be their barrage prior to the assault. Naturally .... Ya want to be up for the "charge" so during the barrage ya kinda hunker down in your hole as best ya can till the shellin' stops long enough for you to take a peek. In any case, I'm layin on my back at the bottom of this hole and lookin up into the darkness and kinda wonderin' to myself if this is gonna be the time or not. Just givin' it some thought but still had my wits about me cause I know that soon "they" will be upon us so ya don't want to drift off to far in la la land.

Okay....the Kabooms have been going on now for quite some time and the ground is shaking so hard that dirt clods are occassionally fallin on top of me.... No biggie. Just dont want one of them rounds to fall directly on top of me but their close...REAL CLOSE. Now being that we slithered into these holes during the darkness (and I mean its black) we did'nt really get much time to glance things over. Just so happens that right on the edge of my particular hole one of then Chicom grenades had been left behind by an apparent NVA soldier that had once occupied this very same hole and he must have had to boogie in a hurry cause he did'nt pick up all his goodies. I mean to tell ya this thing was right on the very edge of the hole and just sittin' there. Naturally when I slithered into this divet I did so in such a manner as not to disturb it ... nor did I see it due to the extreme darkness.

Okay ... So I'm layin there gazin' upward (course I can't see diddly squat) and listening to all this constant shelling with the ground shakin' so bad, you would have thought a D9 Caterpillar Bulldozer was right outside your door. Well .... If you have'nt already figured out what happens next: The extreme shake of good ole' mother earth caused by manmade objects (such as extreme explosive devices) causes this Chicom to eventually jar itself from the edge of my hole falling in a downward direction, catches the edge of my helmet and continues on until it stops right smack dab in the middle of my chest.

Clutching it I immediately knew what it was and the brain went into high gear. Knowing that I had but seconds to spare the only thought that came to my mind was .... I figured the assault was takin place and this little guy just snuck up under his own guns and drops this grenade in the hole.....Now ....Heres the fun part of the quiz. Assuming that if this was the case...that means this little feller is just outside my hole. Do I un-ass myself from this hole and get shot in the head as soon as it pops up or do I take the frag in the chest. My hearts poundin' so loud I can't almost think straight and although it's only seconds it can seem like an eternity at times (which was the case here with me) so I come to a conclusion....QUICK.....I ain't givin' him the satisfaction of poppin a cap in my forehead so I simply laid there and started counting what seconds I had left. Those seconds were the longest of my life and a short time that I will NEVER forget.

Needless to say the Chicom had not been armed so God had been on my side that night as I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that I should have already been approachin' the gates by now. Sometimes you REACT and REACT QUICKLY but this was one time that I chose to simply take what I had coming and so be it. In any case I was not about to give someone the satisfaction of denting my forehead with an AK47 round.

We made it through the night but the morning brought death and destruction. That my friends is yet another story. Six

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/28/02 6:53:08 am)
    Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I sensed being there with you Gunner---your relating of the events and the moments you agonized were so very real---that was a story so detail orientated that I could hear the sounds and smell the smells. Thanks for sharing. Were the Chicom grenades the model with the potato masher wood handle, hole drilled up thru the wood with a copper lanyard for arming the weapon? If so, I brought a few of the inert ones back to the states with me---more gifts from the Marine EOD troops----used to show them off and when we moved over to Arizona, I donated all my collection, those included, to the Seabee Museum at Port Hueneme, California. I didn't respond to your question Guns---"WHAT WOULD YOU DO"----don't want to sound flip, but I might try this one "OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN---HALLOWED BE THY NAME----------". wilborn

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 10:04:33 am)
    Those were the ones indeed....the style with the wooden handle. Oh yea....I certainly did throw in an "Our Father...in between everything else that was goin thru my mind at the time. Rekon he must have heard me cause I saw the sun come up another day but it did not turn out quite as well as what had transpired in the darkness.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/28/02 12:09:13 pm)

Great memory Six, looking forward to whenever you
    feel like posting more!

Thumbs Up!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/28/02 1:05:38 pm)
    Ironic thing about the little Chicom grenades Gunner--the potato-masher style with the wooden handle---I described them to my Iwo Jima Marine friend and he told me the Japs used the same style of weapon during WWII. Frank was telling me they had another style also and they needed to crack up against their helmets to arm them---he said their weaponry was so damn primitive and undependable, that most of the grenades were overfilled with powder and didn't work properly---that's what he said saved his bacon because when he was wounded on Iwo, the grenade went off right up near his shoulders and neck---there is a story about Frank over in my group of stories. Take care. wilborn

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 4:32:17 pm)
    What would I do? How can I say this delicately and lady like......

I'D SH*T MYSELF!!

Always Faithful

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 7:46:44 pm)
    I do believe that thought crossed my mind somewheres between Our Father and Hail Mary. :) Six

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 8:30:14 pm)
    LMAO!!!!!! Too funny!!!!

Always Faithful

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/15/02 12:38:17 am)
    Six, I have probably overlooked it someplace but how long were you incountry? I know you wasn't enjoying what was happening to you at the time but I have enjoyed reading about your tour of duty. Thanks for taking the time to share a part of it with us.

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/15/02 7:35:44 am)
    Hope ..... I arrived in country late June 1967 and left Hue City via medivac aircraft near Februarys end in '68. :)

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/16/02 12:22:36 am)
    Six, if you don't mind or if you haven't already, could you tell us about what happened to you to have been medivac out?

If you have already shared that, I must have missed it along the way, just point me toward it. Thanks for the comeback.
    Hope

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/16/02 7:10:26 am)
    Got several of them George Washington purple thingys while I was there. Somewhere round here I posted "Purple Heart #1 and was eventually going to get to the other two soon. :)