What would you have done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrkirker, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I really don't have anyone else to ask, and I'd like some feedback . . .

Yesterday, at the range, I had an encounter that was strangely weird, and I’ve been questioning my response. It is 0800, the fog is dissipating, a bright blue sky is overhead, there’s no wind, and I’m the only one on the range site. It doesn’t get much better!

I’ve been shooting for about ½ hour when a Mercedes pulls up, and a dark, swarthy mid-eastern looking fellow steps from his car, yammering in a foreign tongue into a cell phone. The first ‘weird’ thing I noticed is that he didn’t look like he ‘belonged’ to the Mercedes, if you know what I mean. Next weird thing is that all of his equipment was ‘new’; I mean NEW, smelly-new, and he was really ‘fumbly’ when he set everything up. His set up was a basic Remington 700 in .308 with a good Leopold scope, a Caldwell bench rest, and some kind of new crummy spotting scope, along with two boxes of Winchester ammo. He asks me what the distances are (distances to frames) and what distance I’m shooting. I reply, and he asks which target on the frame is mine, and if he can borrow a stapler to hang his target. I loan him the stapler and I watch him walk to the 225-yard frame, hang one target, and return.

I’m thinking, “Hmmm, new shooter, new gun, and he’s beginning at 225?” Weird. When he returns, he asks again if those targets on the frame are mine, and I reply that they are. He stares at me for a weird, too-long moment, and sits down and begins shooting his .308 – basically, as fast has he could load and fire. Weird. After five or six rounds, he stops and hunkers over his spotting scope. He snorts, and does his rapid-fire thing again. I’ve only fired one round in the meantime, but he asks if he can walk down and check his target. “Sure,” I reply. He returns, asks me how he can make his “bullets hit like mine” I reply, “Practice”. He then asks where I got my “bullets”. “Reloads”, I reply. He snorts again, packs up, and leaves. Weirder, still.

As his taillights disappear around the bend, I walk to the frame. He hit the paper once.

Given that he had a gate key to the range, and that he really didn’t do anything ‘wrong’ (other than leave his paper hanging), is it wrong of me to have such a weird feeling about this encounter? I contemplated mentioning this fellow to the local LEO’s, who maintain and monitor the range. However, what could I have said? Any comment that I would have made would have been triggered by the fact that he looked like a mid-eastern fellow who was very unskilled. However, it’s not illegal to be an unskilled shooter. Should I have mentioned anything to the LEO’s? What could I have said? Am I overreacting, one way or the other? If he was a bad guy, surely he’d have received better training than a ‘do it yourself morning’ at the range, right?

(p.s. I did collect his brass!)

2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I say, go with your gut! If you feel something is out of place, it just might be. Who knows where this might go!

3. 94z07

94z07 New Member

DiNozzo, send McGee with the brass down to Abby and have her run the prints before you get another head-slap!

Seriously, since the first WTC attack in '93 LEOs have gotten a lot of "tips" about swarthy gentlemen doing things that would otherwise be innocuous. Passing on what you saw exactly as you did here to another LEO won't hurt anyone. The LEO should be able to make the judgment call on what, if anything, to do next.

4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

When he took off down range to put up his target you should have nailed him with a solid head shot.:D:D:rolleyes:

Honestly, in these times it pays to be observant and not take chances. I would have called local law enforcement to have him checked out. Of course it's racial profiling but who cares. You observed what to you was unusual behavior and that's the kind of thing you are supposed to report.

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Gotta say, I would have handed the staple gun (prints) brass and description (plate number, car type, man, weapons etc.) to the local law.

It may have been nothing, but 99 times out of 100 if your gut says somethings wrong, it is...

That new kit had to come from somewhere, possibly the same dealer and possibly not far away. It shouldnt be that hard to trace back.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ditto to tranters reply. yep let the police check them out.

7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have thought about this all morning, and have concluded that any kind of suspicious behavior in a firearms atmosphere should be reported. If only for peace of mind, at least we know it has been reported. It does not matter if the person is from another culture, or just some white dude, if they exhibit that kind of behavior it is a good idea to tell the authorities. I have reported strange things in my town and the police have told me it is a good thing I had my eyes open to suspicious activity. Sometimes it makes their job easier.

8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Thanks, all.
    I was just curious - afraid I was becomming a racist paranoid!

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

no just being cautious, may be new gun owner who didn't think you had
    to practice to shoot perfect, but better safe than sorry.

10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:D you still maybe a racist paranoid but in this case it wouldn't of mattered the actions the guy was displaying seemed odd

11. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Gotta agree with the others. No harm in checking it out. There were way too many warning signs with the dude at Va Tech and no one took any action on them. Let the local law know exactly what you saw and also pass on the brass and the staple gun, they can differentiate your prints, dna, etc. No biggie if it turns out to be an innocent novice but you could be saving lives.

Please let us know how it develops.

12. artabr

artabr New Member

I'd go with Tranter's and some of the others replies. Better safe than sorry.
    His shooting style sounded a bit odd, it would have made my ears perk up.

Art

13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

don't beat yourself up mrkirker hind sight is 20/20 and look at it this way if he is up to no good and is considering taking a life, it might be someone that really needs it. :p . i hope i'm not the only one with a fantasy wish list :eek:

14. Ernie1

Ernie1 New Member

I would probably let law enforcement know. You don't ever know he could just be new gun owner without a clue about what he he is doing or it could be something worse. If everything is on the up and up then reporting it is not going to hurt.

15. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

I agree. I think you should report it. Let us know what happens.