Whatcha gonna plant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, May 2, 2009.

1. Well, it is spring after all, and mid-May is the time to plant a garden, at least here in Colorado. I think this year it will be tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, Cheyenne peppers, Anaheim peppers, cucumbers, and maybe some zucchini, though for the last two years the zucchini has not done well. I might also add another pepper variety, perhaps habaneros or Scotch bonnets so I can send some to Crpdeth. ;) I'm also going to experiment with planting some herbs and spices this year, perhaps some sage, basil, or rosemary.

What do you folks plan to put down?

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Variety of different tomatoes. Better girl, creole, italian white, and cherry.

pepers: green, yellow, orange bell.

black beauty eggplant, yellow squash, cucumber, snap beans

so far.

funny note. we live on 6 acres. my uncle decided after 20 years that he was going to clear his property that is behind us. anyway he has been cutting down things and accidently cut down my mothers rosemary. hehehehehe.

Last edited: May 2, 2009

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

We have tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and cucumbers already planted. My wife is the gardener so I really don't know for sure what else will be put in. She has talked about sweet potatoes and corn, though.

4. Yup, I normally plant several varieties as well. Last year I had 12! ;) That was just an experiment though. I wanted to find out which varieties grew best and produced the most under conditions here. I had good luck with the Beefsteaks, Early Girls and a couple of others, but some of the odd ones I planted didn't produce much. This year I think I will add a Roma to the list since my wife likes them and they can well.

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well we have two apple tree's, a slightly wounded pear tree (Winged while taking out a fleeing squirrel) and a lot of weeds.

I would love to do more, like Pistol, but dont really know where to start.

6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

exactly, this is my experimental year. I want to see what my yield is, how they grow, ect. With the world headed in to the toilet this is a task I must learn to master. So far so good.

7. islenos

islenos Active Member

8. Have you ever considered planting in large containers, Tranter? That's what I do every year. I find it is much easier to control the water, fertilizer, and insecticide that way, and a lot less hard work as well. ;) Southern England has a fairly nice spring and summer climate as i recall, and you folks are headed into High Summer when June gets here. That means very long days for growing things.

9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have been planting at my Mom's place this year. We have planted red potatos, snap beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, canelli beans, and purple hull peas. If it ever stops raining we will plant more peas, corn, tomatoes, lots of peppers (hot and sweet), okra, squash, watermelons, cantalopes, and pumpkins.

10. doug66

doug66 Member

I'm done planting, 8 tomatoes Celebrity & Mountain Fresh, here at the house. About a foot tall, no blooms yet.

My dad has a garden at his place that I help him harvest.

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have 4 Better Boy tomatoe plants growing in buckets on my back porch.

12. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Peas. I like to stand in the yard and eat them.

13. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Cherokee purples, corn,scarlet runners, oregon sugar pods, lemon cuc's, ect...

If you like wild game, i recommend a winter savory. Perennial from montana.

14. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, peas, butter beans, squash, pole beans, garlic, onions, water melons, cantaloupes, okra, cucumbers, egg plants, corn, snap beans, several herbs and spices. the list just keeps going.
    On the top of our little hill there are three of us that plant and work about five acres of garden together, joint effort means that some one is always here to attend to the garden. This way we always have enough to eat all summer and still put up enough for the winter months.

15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Beans, mustard greens, zucchini & yellow squash, tomatoes, okra, cucumbers. Done picked greens
    three times. picked beans today. all of it looks good, The Lord is really blessing it.
    Planted in march, Could have planted in Feb.
    We've been in drought, but we've been blessed with of plenty of rain last month.:)