What's a Siamese Mauser?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Mesen
    (5/29/01 10:40:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What's a Siamese Mauser?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have read that these can be easily conveted into 45/70 and rates in the same league as Ruger #1 in strength and ability to handle VERY heavy loads. So what about 'em and where could one be found?
    Thanks
    Fredneck
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/29/01 2:44:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What's a Siamese Mauser?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's a Mauser that's born attached to another Mauser. Depending on where it's attached, they can be surgically separated.

Hope this helps some.
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

Kdubya
    (5/29/01 4:58:29 pm)
    You'll notice that neither Bob ( ), LTS, or even I, said that, Mesen!!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

AntiqueDr
    (5/29/01 5:05:25 pm)
    OK, all kidding aside, it is a type of Mauser military rifle that was originally set up to feed/chamber a rimmed cartridge. Since the bolt cannot be easily converted to fire a rimless cartridge, it kind of limits the convertability of the gun.

It does make a nice .45-70 however. You wont get .458 Win Mag ballistics, but you can soup up the old girl a bit. I have one that I long ago barreled to .25 Krag Improved, and it is still one of my favorites.
    Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Alphamale
    (5/29/01 5:11:19 pm)
    I'm sorry. But somebody had to take the cheap, not very funny joke that was there.
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (5/29/01 5:49:02 pm)
    Kdub....you may not admitt it...but I will. I had a good one, but held it close to the vest...IT HURT TOO!!!!!!!!! But on a lighter note. EXCELLENT ALPHAMALE!!!!! USE`S GETTIN THE HANG!!!

Bubba Johnson
    (5/29/01 6:00:49 pm)
    The Siamese mausers were made in Japan for Siam in two calibers, the 8x50R and the 8x52R. If you have a complete unaltered rifle it is far too valuable toa collector to mess up by sporterizing it.

Bob In St Louis
    (5/29/01 7:38:01 pm)
    I have a Type 2 Siamese Mauser in 8x52R. It was sitting on my table at the last gun show, and several folks were excited to see it, but upon examination, decided it was the wrong style for doing the conversion you spoke of. So, obviously, the fans of that caliber conversion are looking for a certain type of Siamese Mauser (by the way, mine is in fine condition and I will sell it for $130.00).
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Bompa
    (5/29/01 9:02:56 pm)
    I do believe that Navy Arms sold these at one time..
    Perhaps they just might have one or two lying about in
    their warehouse somewhere and are waiting for someone to
    inquire about them..
    If the memory is correct they also offered them converted
    to 45-70 even..

TallTLynn
    (5/29/01 9:13:00 pm)
    Gosh darn it all Bob - why you got to start selling things when I spent all my money on something else!

Ah well next time.

WyomingSwede
    (5/29/01 11:23:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey T...
    Just make sure when you spend your money...make it a real mauser....a swede of course.
    Wyoming Swede

the real fredneck
    (5/30/01 8:27:26 am)
    Swede, How ya doing? Would love to find one, know where there is a nice rifle but it's too long, keeping eye out for carbine thou.
    How about it Antique Dr? can Bob's type 2 be converted? what is entailed?

TallTLynn
    (5/30/01 6:20:57 pm)
    Leave Bob's Mauser alone - conversions are not all they're cracked up to be.

God are there no purists anymore?

AntiqueDr
    (5/30/01 6:52:36 pm)
    Yes, it could. The bad part is that the cost of the conversion, plus the initial cost of the rifle, would exceed the cost of a new Marlin 1895 (my regular price for the standard gun is $399.95).

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (5/30/01 7:26:11 pm)
    TLynn - I am a collector and purist at heart, and personally would never alter anything that has collectors value. However, I have learned over the years that everyone has their own beliefs as to what is valuable to them, and if it involves altering a collectable item by caliber change, barrel shortening, etc. - so be it. As long as they are happy with what they have.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

WyomingSwede
    (5/30/01 9:24:50 pm)
    My philosophy is similar to Bob's. I don't convert (hack) anything that is collectable. On the other hand it is an easy way for someone on a budget to obtain a reliable firearm. I just can't resist needling Bob about it though.

however I do speak long and loud on the subject of swedish mausers. My favorite firearm.....regards swede
    Wyoming Swede