What's in the box?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 94z07, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 94z07

94z07 New Member

I have had a S&W model 27-2 in its wooden presentation case for many years. I bought it used and always wondered what else came in the box when new. There are some formed spots in the velvet that look like they could hold oil and brushes.

Anyone know?

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Thanks!!!

Well my box looks pretty in contrast. I wish I had the do-dads tho :( Maybe I'll see them for less than what this guy is asking someday.

4. artabr

artabr New Member

Sweet pistol. What barrel lenght do you have?
    I have a 27-2 in 4" that I love.

Art

5. 94z07

94z07 New Member

it's a 6" barrel. I believe it to be polished stanless that looks like a mirror. Did they chrome stainless revolvers back then?

6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Post a picture. My brother has a gun I've been trying to identify and this sounds like it. The markings are scratched out so they don't help. The links don't work for me.

7. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Attached Files:

8. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Yup, thats it thank you very much.

9. artabr

artabr New Member

:D I'm suffering from barrel envy. :D

They did make staninless back then. I think one of the snubnose pistols were the first S/S guns. I think they were brought out in the 1950's IIRC.

I believe your finsh is Nickel. All of the Stainless Steel Smith's have a 6 as the first number of the model number in the revolvers. Such as the model 629 vs. the Blued md. 29. There was a model 627 that was made for only 1 year. That was in 1989. Like I said, it was stainless. :)

Art

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  10. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Thanks Nameless and Artabr!!

And thanks to Alpo too! (sorry I was confuzzled)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If it's a 27, it's nickel. Smith stainless guns start with a 6. So if it was stainless it would be a 627. Far as I know, Smith never "chromed" guns.

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Damn. I have done something that I complain bitterly about others doing. I responded to a post before finishing reading the thread. And someone else had already said what I said. :( That just makes you feel foolish.

13. 94z07

94z07 New Member

'sok, Alpo :)

BTW I know for good chrome jobs the first plate is copper, the second is nickel, and the third is chrome. But I know that for instruments the nickel plate is just done in 1 to three layers without a copper layer underneith. I don't see any sign that there is a copper layer on the gun so it must be a thick nickel or a couple of layers. They didn't build up any thickness on the plate at the face of the cylinder though. That looks like stanless. I'm not saying it is just that it looks like it.

14. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    Your 27 is Nickel plated. It could use some Flitz metal Polish to make it look like my 5" version that is Nickel Below. As Others have stated the tools would be an aluminum cleaning rod, Cotton Mop, Bronze Bristle Brush and a Fluted handle sight adjuster. If you carefully Pull down the Upper Presentation case lid, you may find the Owners Manuel, Registration Card, and perhap's an Ammo Brochure that was Popular back in the 27-2 time frame. Here is my 5" Nickel 27-2. Regards, Hammerdown

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 94z07

94z07 New Member

That's a fine looking piece there, Hammerdown!