The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several guns I'm selling for a customer on consignment. One of them is a 1939 243 code K98 Mauser, and I could really use some help figuring out what it's probably worth. I know that if everything is right, these rifles can carry a pretty high value. Overall it is in great condition with a beautiful bore, good bluing with a little light patina in places, original sling, and matching serial numbers except for the front barrel band. What's really throwing me is that I've been over every inch of the stock, and can't fine one single marking of any kind, and I suspect the stock has been refinished.
I'd really appreciate some input.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Made in 1939 at Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm. Serial number puts yours in the first run of 9,999. The next run would start at 0001a, and end at 9999a.
The finish on the stock and metal, and lined out serial number on the band usually indicates a Czech refurbish. The fact that the band is the only mismatch, means it was in good shape when they got it. The original finish would have been oil.
The red laminate flat buttplate stock would be correct on this rifle. There were no markings on the outside of the stock. The inside of the barrel channel on the stock and hand guard may have a matching serial number. If it has another number, then I'm 100% sure it's a Czech refurb.
If there's no import mark on the barrel, that's a plus. Check for markings on the sling, that will add value too.
5yrs ago I would have said $500-800. Now even Russian Captured rifles have dried up and easily bring that much. I would say conservatively, between $1000 and $1200. Keep in mind, market value varies depending on what area of the country you're in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TRAP55! There are no importer markings on the barrel. I haven't noticed any markings on the sling, but I'll check it over again and also check inside the barrel channel and hand guard.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Troy, the Czech refurbs can be hard to ID. They can look like like that one, or like the one I have that looks like little Jimmy finger painted it with brown varnish. I would be curious to know what you find inside the wood.
Does the owner know where it came from? Like a GI bring back?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner doesn't know any history on it. He and his brothers and dad inherited his grandfather's vast collection, and he is selling off a few pieces. I'll open it up tomorrow and let you know what I find inside the wood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it turns out that as suspected, there is a different serial number in the underside of the hand guard, but I couldn't find any markings of any kind in the barrel channel of the stock. Under the steel butt plate, the stock is stamped "Br" and "1 26 40." There are no markings at all on the sling.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
More handguards were stamped with serial numbers then stocks were. I'm pretty certain it's a Czech refurb. The stock is a transition piece, where they were going from flat buttplate with solid wood, to cupped buttplate and laminate stock.
Troy, scroll down through these pics of 98K slings, they'll show you what to look for. Original slings in good condition are getting just as hard to find, and pricey when you do.
https://www.bergflak.com/slings.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the sling is definitely the same style as the one pictured just below the picture of the 1935 announcement of the "New Sling." Any markings that were ever on this sling have long since been worn off, but all things considered it looks to be an original sling in pretty good condition based on the info at the link you provided. Oh, and definitely no importer markings on the barrel.
That should be just about everything, I think. Any further thoughts on value, or still the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I would say the value is about the same, but like I said, it varies for different parts of the country. If I was going to sell it on an auction site, I would start it at $800, with a full description, and good clear pics of all the markings, dings, dents, and scratches. The bidders will determine what the market value is.
BTW...That sling is in pretty fair condition, and almost a rarity by itself if it was original to the rifle or not, most were replaced with a Czech version.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have several guns I'm selling for a customer on consignment. One of them is a 1939 243 code K98 Mauser, and I could really use some help figuring out what it's probably worth. I know that if everything is right, these rifles can carry a pretty high value. Overall it is in great condition with a beautiful bore, good bluing with a little light patina in places, original sling, and matching serial numbers except for the front barrel band. What's really throwing me is that I've been over every inch of the stock, and can't fine one single marking of any kind, and I suspect the stock has been refinished.
I'd really appreciate some input.
I deal with an antique firearms collector and seller on a regular basis and have recently aquired one of the fine weapons myself. According to my source, the most you could value any k98k mauser at is $500-$600 and that is of the pristine variety. If the weapon does not have all matching numbers then you can carve off half of that price. Mine for instance does not have all matching numbers and I got it for $250 based on his recommendation. I have priced them out at retailers and the like and most people are asking prices similar to what I am seeing here.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I'll buy any mismatched 98K from your source for $250, and easily double my money in 48hrs or less. Same for the pristine variety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had a buyer gladly pay me $1175 plus tax and shipping for this one. Thanks again for the great help, TRAP55!

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,988 Posts
Is there any kind of premium on a German K98 manufactured during the second world war?

S*r

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Is there any kind of premium on a German K98 manufactured during the second world war?

S*r
SR, there's all kinds of premiums, depending on what it is, and condition. A vet bring back with a duffel cut stock brings one. A vet bring back with paper work even more. Sniper 98Ks are over my price range.
If the question is ones made before the war vs ones during the war, that can be a yes or no answer too. You have one you're wondering about?

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,988 Posts
SR, there's all kinds of premiums, depending on what it is, and condition. A vet bring back with a duffel cut stock brings one. A vet bring back with paper work even more. Sniper 98Ks are over my price range.
If the question is ones made before the war vs ones during the war, that can be a yes or no answer too. You have one you're wondering about?
Sorry Trap, my question was pretty vague. I just received a couple of crappy pictures of my favorite rifle 'the 1 that got away'. I traded it several years ago and now he wants to trade me for back (for that 25-35), along with some other stuff.

I'll start a new thread asap.

S*r

1 - 19 of 19 Posts