The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STEVEN'S MODEL 65. NOT the model in the 70's with the clip, the model before the 66. I believe it was made 1 year.
[/URL][/IMG]

The mag tube is 12" long, and it doesn't have a round mag holder, they are both blocks. Let me know.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Well, I did some on-line searching for you. Haven't found out much though. I think you're going to need one of the guys here int eh forum with a blue book to get you an estimated value. The rifle certainly looks in clean condition. I wouldn't expect a bolt action fed .22 to go for a huge price - I could be in error and who knows what you'd get an auction these days. I'll venture a guess with a max of $300 - I don't see much in the way of any bolt action .22's getting more than that unless they are really special.

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
I would like to see a close up of the barrel showing the name and model #.
This picture is the same as the model 66a.
These guns are great shooters but are only worth $100 tops.
Mike

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I think Goofy's price is a bit low. Lately, I've seen older (single shot) bolt-action .22s priced closer to $200 than to $100. I'd expect a repeater in excellent condition to bring at least $200.

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Buffalochip I have a single shot .22 that has been restored and selling in the shop for well under $200.
It is a Stevens 120a Ware can I sell it for $200?
I would love to get more then the book value.
Mike

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Buffalochip I have a single shot .22 that has been restored and selling in the shop for well under $200.
Mike
Try Green Top in Ashland, VA. Currently there is a price bubble on ammo and firearms--it will eventually pop just like it did in the real estate market.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no model number. I thought it was a 66a myself, so I bought a bunch of parts. The mag tube on an a is 18" this is 12. It was made in 1930 for 1 year then changed to a model 66. I will post pics of the info I got from the guys at rimfire central

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note the mag blocks, they are both square, look at the 66, one is round. Also, the mag has a inlet for ammo, but this don't. And the mag tube length, and the firing pin assemblies are different by a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will take a pic of the barrel, but all it says is J. Stevens, and stevens in a triangle, with the location of the plant, and a 20 in a circle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will take a pic of the barrel later for you though. It is a model 65. I don't know where my pic went. I will try and put it back up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Mike
I'm inclined to agree for the most part. There is a growing collector interest in vintage .22 rifles. And if gun is in VG ORIGINAL condition, a collector might pay $200. But my estimate would be $150. tops.
I might add that the early Stevens Model 66 had a nasty habit of firing unexpectedly upon closing of the bolt. One I had did. And I have seen several posts on internet gun forums of other that did as well. Stevens later upgraded the original design a couple of times. Not sure if this was reason why.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a 65 though. Not a 66. I haven't had a fire prob. since I peened out the firing pin. I can see why that would happen when taking it apart, but this is a 65, not an early 66. True, it eventually became the 66, it's still a 65.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have gone through lengths to make sure It stays original, except it had black water staining I sanded down and redid the stock. I don't know if it's obvious that I redid the stock or not.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Guys, everything is crazy these days. I know a gun dealer who sold a .22 for $16,000 plus last month. He's actually on his way here now to visit so I'll pull up the pic and post it for you. I was astounded to see that kind of price being paid for any .22.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've built, got bored with and sold of couple of gun collections. One of WW-2 Japanese Arisaka's. And the other vintage .22 rifles. That doesn't make me an expert, but I think I have some added insights. And I'm not convinced that the Model 65 is an earlier model than the Model 66. I thinks it's a variation of the Model 66. Nor do I think they command any extra collector interest or value. I've seen several for sale over the years. And the prices were on par with the average 1930's vintage Savage/Stevens bolt action .22 rifle. While there is a growing collector interest in vintage .22's, the Savage/Stevens bolt guns haven't hit the "big time" yet. But values are up a bit from 10 years ago. When you could easily buy a Model 15 for $50. They're going for $100.+ now days. Doesn't IMO mean that they're worth that much. But seems to be new asking price. I think $150. is probably a fair estimate on your Model 65.
I'm guessing the $16K .22 rifle is an old Winchester.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts