The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Garandaholic
9,528 Posts
You can probably get nearly what you paid for it these days. 75-80% of new is probably not out of the question.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
Smith and Wessons do not accumulate in value as the pythons did. As CCHolder stated you could expect to get 75 to 80% of purchased price maybe less. Your emotional attachment to a firearm has no value. As a S&W fan I would only offer you 70% for any used firearm regardless of brand maybe less depending on condition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smith and Wessons do not accumulate in value as the pythons did. As CCHolder stated you could expect to get 75 to 80% of purchased price maybe less. Your emotional attachment to a firearm has no value. As a S&W fan I would only offer you 70% for any used firearm regardless of brand maybe less depending on condition.
Thanks Guys for the info. It's encouraging. I have this crazy desire to own a Ruger red Hawk, 357 8 round, 5-1/2". Can't get it out of my head. LOL !! I love the big calibers and big guns. I have a S&W 629 6" 44 mag,, two 45 acp's, a 45 long colt single action, and a few others plus this 357. I don't care to own this S&W if I purchase the Red Hawk, (don't need two 357 mags) so I would like to sell this one. Also I'm not Mike Bloomberg so that would help with the cost for I found out the price of a Red Hawk...YIKES !! LOL I'm up in age, and walk with braces on my legs for I had polio when I was a kid. But I still treck to the indoor range with my gun bag on wheels and my trusty stool to sit on as I pull the trigger. Just something about the power and might to satisfy my need. Ahhhh the smell of the range. I feel blessed to be able to shoot and still hold reasonable groupings.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Well I did trade my S&W and got $525 for it. I was satisfied and now I am the owner of a Ruger Redhawk 357, 8 round, 5-1/2". WOW.......what a joy to shoot. The recoil is a lot less than the S&W, but it was decision time. The S&W is a very nice gun also.
Congratulations on getting what you WANT........... enjoy the new toy!!

Reactions: CCHolderinMaine

·
Premium Member
10,414 Posts
Glad you were able to get what you wanted. You have a great gun and as long as it scratches YOU where you itch it was worth it. Now we’ll be needing a good range report.

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
I didn't know Ruger was making an 8 round revolver. I had a Redhawk years ago and for a Freedom Arms shooter, I thought the Redhawk was excellent. Don't they have a "third lock" in the crane like the old S&W Triple Lock?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they do. Locks up in 3 different places. Hey Rubone, (627)a great choice also. I have 3 other S&W wheel guns and love them. I will say my S&W 629 has a bit smoother trigger pull as did the 686, you can't beat a Smith trigger, but this one has much less recoil. I was on the range last week and shot 0ver 100 rounds of full load 357 mags. Never (was able) to do that with the S&W for it had quite a kick. (Shorter barrel and several ounces lighter.) I did think I was going to have to replace the wooden grips when I got the Redhawk, but NO! The square style of the grips the way they flair out at the bottom gives me plenty of grip and no slip. My wrist and knuckles did not hurt after the 100 rounds at the range. The first 24 - 32 rounds were all over the target as I adjusted the sights and settled down. Can't wait to go back, (gotta get some more ammo first). Thanks Guys, Paul
IMG_1455.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Wow! That's a beautiful gun! I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag with a 5-1/2" barrel I bought about 40 yrs ago to go camping in west Yellowstone. I bought it with a 50 rnd box of Remington cartridges. I fired about half the box for practice & I still have the rest.
It reminds me of why I think the Ruger are the most beautiful guns on the market. The clean simple Redhawk design makes the stainless look like it's liquid metal, and the Cocobolo grips set it off wonderfully. I guess that's why I just bought my 7th Ruger.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Wow! That's a beautiful gun! I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag with a 5-1/2" barrel I bought about 40 yrs ago to go camping in west Yellowstone. I bought it with a 50 rnd box of Remington cartridges. I fired about half the box for practice & I still have the rest.
It reminds me of why I think the Ruger are the most beautiful guns on the market. The clean simple Redhawk design makes the stainless look like it's liquid metal, and the Cocobolo grips set it off wonderfully. I guess that's why I just bought my 7th Ruger.
Your Redhawk was liquid metal at one time Geezer....lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts