The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start by saying I was at an auction a few years ago which had some rifles advertised for the sale. They had a Remington Nylon 66 Black Diamond there which had a three inch hole in the stock. I bought the rifle for $35 and brought it home. I contacted Remington and sent the rifle to them knowing their was a lifetime warranty on the stock. Remington not only replaced the stock but they gave the rifle a thorough cleaning and polished the chrome finish. All it cost me was the shipping to the plant which is 100 miles from home.
It's a fun little gun to shoot and is a companion to my Mohawk Brown model 66 which also shoots well.

· Registered
18,395 Posts
Like these other two gentlemen, it would be my first one. Birthday present, so it was free. 48 years ago.

· Registered
13,801 Posts
A badly bubba'd and mistreated circa 1895ish Hopkins and Allen 922 falling block rifle. My boss said I could have it if I thought I could make it shoot again. I found out that free isn't quite free, I had to do a lot of work to make it safe to fire and look presentable again.
Textile Orange Red Font Tints and shades

The bore looked like a sewer pipe and the hammer would fall by itself when you closed the breech block. I lined the barrel, rebuilt the trigger, and polished and color cased the receiver. Bubba had cut off the end of the shotgun style pistol grip and the crescent butt plate and replaced it with a plastic plate to make it look more modern. I have no idea why Bubba cut a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel.

· Premium Member
23,415 Posts
I don't think i have ever got a good deal on one. I bought my 10/22 for $59.00 back in '71 but that was pretty much the going rate back then. So all mine have been bought at about the going rate or at times i've paid too much for them, but that's cause that's what i wanted.

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
When I started this I didn't take into account the two .22's I got for free. The first was in 1958 for my 14th. birthday. A Stevens mod. 15A single shot .22 $14.95 and later on I inherited the first rifle I ever shot. My Dad's Mossberg Mod. 35 single shot target rifle he bought new in 1937. These are treasures but I do take them out once in a while.
I almost forgot. My Ruger 10-22 given to me for Christmas 1985 by my wife with the help of a friend who picked it out for me.

· GUNZILLA
9,479 Posts
Best deal ever is a 52C winchester for $500 cash. It had the wrong rear sight. I believe it is the Dogleg Redfield #75 meant for a 540 Remington. Thought about selling it and than kept it in case I ever ran across a 540. Haven't run across one yet, bet than I stopped running a long time ago

· Registered
1,106 Posts
The Remington 512 that I got back in 1943. My first rifle, a gift from my Dad, It sits in my safe, and trains Grands. Chock full of memories, ready to make more. Money can’t buy it.
Hey, I got one too. But it was in 1949. Still have it.
Musical instrument Wood Writing implement Gun accessory Tints and shades

Office supplies Purple Writing implement Office equipment Magenta
;

Even have the original hang tag. :)

Brown Product Handwriting Font Material property

· Premium Member
13,376 Posts
Best deal was for my Browning Trombone circa 1936. It was sitting in a shop I frequented for 2 years when they made me an offer of $750 and I could bring it home. It’s worth maybe $2500-$3000????
Wood Tool Line Gas Garden tool
Wood Trigger Wood stain Shotgun Gun accessory

· Premium Member
23,415 Posts
When I started this I didn't take into account the two .22's I got for free. The first was in 1958 for my 14th. birthday. A Stevens mod. 15Y single shot .22 $14.95 and later on I inherited the first rifle I ever shot. My Dad's Mossberg Mod. 35 single shot target rifle he bought new in 1937. These are treasures but I do take them out once in a while.
I almost forgot. My Ruger 10-22 given to me for Christmas 1985 by my wife with the help of a friend who picked it out for me.
Well Yeah FREE is about the best deal you can get.:)

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Probably the best deal was a couple years ago I ran across a Mossberg S46B Mfg in 1938 for $97 at a Gander Mtn. It was model made for and sold by Spiegel so it has some collector value, probably worth $400 at the time.
Blue Line Wood Electric blue Gun accessory

I did snag a Savage 93F in 22 mag for $99 at Wally world a few years ago, its my Gopher getter
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Metal

· Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I have two! A Marlin Glenfield given to me by my wife’s nephew! I cleaned it up and about 15 years or so later a friend borrowed it to shoot stray cats with - about three years later he offered to buy it - I said $50 and he said sold!

The other one Remington .22short/.22long/.22long rifle! Neighbor had when we went squawk hunting! A few weeks later I offered $100, he said $125 - I said sold! I still have!

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Haven't gotten any free .22 rifles.
Probably the "best" deal was a few years ago. I was the winning bid on a Winchester Model 1904 in .22 Extra Long at "The Auction Site Who Shall Not Be Named". Cosmetically it's rough. According to what's carved in the stock, somebody named Bob owned it at one point.
Paid $40 for it and saved a bunch on shipping as the seller was a gun shop 4 miles up the road from me.
Gave it a cleaning and it shoots fine.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts