The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Lee press, Reloading books to read, Now i need to buy some Dies, Just wondering what you guys like the best, Lee,RCBS ECT, Pros and cons? What would you all suggest?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
RCBS is a good brand that stand behind their products with usually free replacement parts. Redding is to, but in my opinion a cut above RCBS, but cost more, but that reflects in their quality, and they will replace broke or worn parts. Forster is another good brand, although I have only used their case trimmer. Hornady is another good brand. I do like their die lock rings, which they sell separately, and I used them on my RCBS, and Redding dies. Lee are the lest expensive but they will do a good job loading ammo, but I never liked their lock ring because it doesn’t lock onto the die so when you remove a die from the press, the die setting my get changed, and they have an O ring on the bottom of the lock ring. Bonanza is a decent brand, but they look kind of ruff as for the exterior finish. My personal preference is Redding followed by RCBS.

You my have to settle for what ever brand you can find for popular handgun cartridges such as 44 Mag is one of them, and they are in high demand right now. Shop around on the Internet.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
RCBS are very good and well machined but you do pay for them . Most of mine I got are Lee and work very well and cheaper to .

I agree . Dies with a lock ring are great . Once you get your die set and set in place you don"t have to set it up next time .

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
RCBS is usually my first pick for common cartridges then Lyman. CH-4D is always first choice but they're a bit pricey...but they do cater to us weird guys. Redding/Pacific, excellent. I don't care for Hornady or Lee but have some of each.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Most of mine are Lee. I also have some Hornady and RCBS. It really doesn't matter much what dies you use, they all make good ammo. Lee dies come with a shell holder. RCBS and Hornady do not.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I have and like RCBS dies, I have a few Lee dies and they work fine, you cant beat the price of the Lee dies and they come with a shell holder. I have Lee factory crimp dies for almost every caliber I load for that requires a crimp. I also buy the Hornady lock rings by the six pack and replace all the existing rings on my dies with them. You cant beat RCBS for customer service, they will replace almost anything for free, no questions ask.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
I have Lyman, RCBS and Lee and as far as I can tell they all work fine. I also have the Lee quick trim with the power driver that I use for trimming. Get some of the Hornady lock rings and put them on all of your dies. Some of my dies were purchased used and I still have no complaints on any of them.

I should mention that I am a very low volume loader so your results may vary. :)

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I have worn out a couple of Lee presses resizing mil spec 5.56 and 7.62 so IMHO, not the better equipment out there.
The more you get into reloading, the more you'll want to trey something better.
I also use RCBS because of the quality and the CS from RCBS. RCBS will get the job done.
I use mostly Forster Precision Bump Dies for my BR rounds.
Still have a pretty good selection of Redding and others that I can depend on.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
I have RCBS, Hornady, Redding, but most of mine are Lee. I have been using mostly Lee since my first set in about 1972. A $30 set of Lee dies is just as good as a $60 set of any other brand. My suggestion is to buy whatever works for you and they ALL work.

We did have a member (he recently quit because he hated the new software), who was a certified Lee hater and talked bad about everything Lee except the FCD.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
Most of mine are RCBS, but I do have Lee, Hornady and 1 set of CH. They will all get done what you want to do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
All of my dies are Lee except a RCBS 223 set that I bought because of a previous member touted them to high heaven and ran my Lee dies down. Anyway from day one the RCBS resizing die scratched the brass from day one. So you can get a bum set of any brand I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
All my dies are RCBS , which I am happy with. Also, as previously stated, their customer service is excellent (in my opinion).

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,939 Posts
While Lee would be my last choice, their factory crimp dies are fantastic. That only applies to dies made for bottle-necked cases, of course. For rifle rounds, I use RCBS dies on my RCBS loading press. The quality is excellent, and I've never seen better customer service. But for pistol rounds, I really like the Hornady dies. For one, they feature a Titanium nitride sizing die that doesn't require lubrication. They also come with two spare decapping pins. I especially like the floating seating head, which guides the bullet into the seating die perfectly centered. It also has saved me a lot of finger damage!

Welcome to our addiction. Happily, there is no 12-step program!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pistol caliber dies can be hard to find right now. Up until a few weeks ago, I used only RCBS dies with great success. After I bought a Dillon and their dies, I am more pleased with crimping as a sole operation rather than seat/crimp with the same die. At any rate, opinions are just that, and most any die will work.

Although I leave my dies set on the turret press, when trying to change dies on the single stage press, it was challenging to remove the die while retaining its position in the lock ring. The lock rings on RCBS dies uses a brass set screw which is very soft, and in my opinion doesn't work very well. At one point, I replaced the brass set screw with steel and put a piece of lead shot between the set screw and die threads. Still not satisfied, I bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion kit so that I can leave my dies set. In my opinion, the Lock-N-Load conversion kit is far superior for changing dies quickly no matter the dies you purchase.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
Pistol caliber dies can be hard to find right now. Up until a few weeks ago, I used only RCBS dies with great success. After I bought a Dillon and their dies, I am more pleased with crimping as a sole operation rather than seat/crimp with the same die. At any rate, opinions are just that, and most any die will work.

Although I leave my dies set on the turret press, when trying to change dies on the single stage press, it was challenging to remove the die while retaining its position in the lock ring. The lock rings on RCBS dies uses a brass set screw which is very soft, and in my opinion doesn't work very well. At one point, I replaced the brass set screw with steel and put a piece of lead shot between the set screw and die threads. Still not satisfied, I bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion kit so that I can leave my dies set. In my opinion, the Lock-N-Load conversion kit is far superior for changing dies quickly no matter the dies you purchase.
I like the Hornady lock rings because they use a cross bolt instead of a set screw.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
raw, you like that floating stem? That's the main thing I really dislike about Hornady dies. Over the years I've used a lot of Lee.....tools, such as their primer pocket cleaners, their universal mouth belling die because of the obscure cartridges I use and their Universal decapping die because I like to deprime the cases I shoot BP in first, then clean, the size them. Their dies work and for the money, if you need to grind or cut up a die to make it work for something else, it beats grinding up a nice, $50 - $100 set of dies.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts