Whats the best scope under $1000?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Michael RSAUM, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Michael RSAUM

Michael RSAUM New Member

Looking for a nice scope to put on my .300 RSAUM. Wanting to stay under a $1000. Any info would be appreciated!

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Every person who responds will have a different suggestion/recommendation.

I do not shoot a .300 RSAUM, actually never heard of one, but Vortex makes some very nice scopes for less than your budget. The last scope I bought was a SightMark and it was a lot of scope for not a lot of money. I would recommend both makes!

crystalphoto and firefighter1635 like this.

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Might not make it under a grand, but check out IOR Valdada scopes. A magazine I used to get (Precision Shooting) did a report on them, and said they were second to NONE.

dbcooper, m77user and firefighter1635 like this.
  4. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

I have a number of rifles and 6 of them, including a 300 Win Mag, carry Leupold scopes. You can get a great Leupold for less than $1000.

I've hunted rough country in Texas, New Mexico and Idaho. I've transported the rifle via truck, airplane, 4 wheeler, and horseback. I've back packed for miles with it through rain snow and ice.
    I zeroed the scope the day I bought it in the 1980's and never had to re-zero.

I've never had any sort of problem with the scope or, for that matter, with any of the other Leupold scopes. Spend as much as you can afford but I have a hard time believing you could find a better quality scope than a high end Leupold.

5. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want. Luepold does not make mil turrets, Nikon does not have mil reticles, most companies dont match mil/mil. Most are MOA.

Viper Vortex PST 6-24x50 is what I am looking at. It is mil/mil, first focal plane, target turrets, and Zero stop. It runs $950.

If you dont need zero stops, I highly recommend the SWFA SS line of scopes. They have several that are very good glass for the money and they are solid. The only reason I am not getting one is because I really want the stops.

If mil isnt your thing, Luepold would make an excellent choice as well.

6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

7. Gottcha

Gottcha Well-Known Member

Midway is having a sale on Luepold scopes

8. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 50 vary X III gold ring

9. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

IMO, the best rifle scope under $1000 is the Sightron SIII series. What power level, depends on what the Ops use of the scope is. The SIII series of scopes range from 3.5-10x all the way up to 10-50x.

10. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

There are aftermarket zero stops for the SWFA SS scopes. I forget which forum I read about it on, but I added it to my SWFA 3-15. Easy. And only like $20 IIRC.

But right now there are some great deals available on Vortex scopes from a dealer near me. And having done business with him twice, I can personally recommend him.
    http://aaoptics.com/Viper-PST_c_27.html

He bought a truckload of manufacturer refurbished Vortex scopes, and he's selling the PSTs at quite the discount. I just paid $350 shipped for a PST 1-4x24. That's with full warranty. And the scope is flawless; it looks like it was sent back because the box was damaged. I'll take a $100 savings (over his already better-than-anyone-else's price) because the box I was going to toss anyway is damaged!

You can't order the refurbs directly from the website, as Vortex won't let him publicly post prices. Give him a call at 765-580-0986 or an email at alan@aaoptics.com. He's quick to get back with you.

Michael RSAUM likes this.
  12. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I have a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 that Country101 mentioned. Very very nice scope for the money. Got mine in March or April on sale for $700. Its good for way ferther than I can shoot.

13. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

14. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

To clarify, the shims you are talking about are compatible with the standard line of SS scopes. The makers had SWFA test them and they approved them. However, in the HD series scopes, SWFA did not recommend using them because they could dork up the internals(yes, that's the technical lingo. ;-) ) I guess the setup is slightly different between the two series.

CampingJosh likes this.
  15. Michael RSAUM

Michael RSAUM New Member

Thanks guys, Think i'm leaning towards the Vortex PST 6-24x50

Pawpaw40 likes this.