Whats the best you ever owned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Apr 17, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What's the best gun you ever owned and why.

This is not going to be easy for most, but maybe dont take it too seriously. I mean no ones going to take you to court if your not sure, but choose anyway.

I have about two dozen best guns, but must go for a particular WW1 vintage .455 Webley Revolver. A MkV with birds head grip.

Why? because it was magical, and found me. 1970s odd, gun shop central London. Only rifles and shotguns. I mentioned I liked handguns, 'Well, there is this old thing' said the chap, pulling it out from under the counter. He explained it had belonged to a farmer in Malaya who used to wear it while out on his horse in case of rebels and bandits. He had asked them to sell it for him, but it had sat in a draw for years. So, it was a real find. Then I went to shoot it. Standing in the sunshine, alone on the range with the First war revolver, and right then an old bi plane buzzed overhead. What more can a gun nut ask for from a gun but a really good memory. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

The bi-plane was a nice touch! How did you manage THAT? :) :)

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Some would say luck, others think this country is like in Harry Potter, all magic and stuff. Perhaps it is? :)

4. It is difficult to choose. At the minimum, I would have to break it down into three, a handgun, a rifle, and a shotgun.

For the shotgun, it would have to be my old single-shot Sears Roebuck 12 gauge I got when I was about 15. It may not be the fanciest or most expensive shotgun I own, but it killed a whale of a lot of jackrabbits when I was a kid. :D

For the rifle, I would have to go with my Winchester Model 61 .22, which I received for Xmas when I was 12. That was the firearm that made me a shooter, and it too accounted for a lot of rabbits and squirrels.

As for the handgun, I think I would choose my Colt Commander 1911 I bought about 20 years ago. I own and shoot a lot of handguns, and love them all, but I shoot the Commander better than any other handgun.

5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Best? Or Favorite?

Best - S&W 1006. (that's today's choice, anyway!)
    Favorite - A 1911; holster-worn, fire-blue frame. (I wish it could talk!)

6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

wow thats a tough one and i'm going to answer only as far as handguns are concerned. my favorite every day / carry gun is a colt detective special 3rd edition. my favorite house gun is a colt python 6in barrel my favorite target gun is a sig model 210. but my show stopper is a colt 1st gen. saa in 45 colt , nickle,engraved with real scrimshaw ivory grips

7. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

like oscar said, thats tough. but i suppose it would have to be my first ever .22 rifle. its a Stevens Model 87d semi-auto 15rnd tube fed. my great grandfather bought it new when he was around 15 or 16 years of age. after he passed it was given to me when i was 12 by a great uncle...on one condition...if i ever wanted to get rid of it, it went back to him. he too has since passed, so that tells you where it is. in the back corner of my gun safe. i take it out on a regular basis to shoot it and clean it. that rifle will stay with me till i pass and then it will either be given to my son/daughter on the same condition...except it will have to go back to my brother, not me:rolleyes: and if they dont agree it will go straight to my brother with the condition he never get rid of it and keep it up. and on the off chance he doesnt agree...it will stay with me.

like tranter said.... the stories it could tell.....

8. azsigman

azsigman New Member

For me, it would have to be an older 4", Colt Python, royal blue finish with an action as smooth as butter. I owned it for alot of years before I let a friend talk me out of it for his parapelegic ( sp??) son. Still miss it.

9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Its is not the best but it is my fondest. I have an old Stevens .22 single shot bolt action that my father had given me for my first rifle. He gave me that thing when I was 7. Now at 31 I am still fond of that old thing. It aint the best but it is my favorite.

10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

31! is there anyone on TFF older than me? Oh yes, Pistol, forget that.

A .22 your father gave you? that's really nice. Like Pistols Christmas .22, it means much more than holes on paper..

11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Oh my, some of these fellows are younger than me as well. Yikes!

12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You know pinecone, someone hurt my feelings yesterday calling me a dinosaur. It was meant in fun, and trust me, I dont offend easy, but it did. Age is a funny thing isnt it?

Come on, more gun stories please....

13. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    My favorite rifle is my 1899 300 savage, not only a beautiful sinsuous weapon, but still extremly accurate. My favorite side arm is the 1915 s&w .455, excellent weight and balance, and not a bad quick draw for a 61/2" barrel.
    and I feel compeled to mention the package isn't complete with out my old bowie style edge, I'd feel naked without it.

Attached Files:

14. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    were not getting older, were getting better, there's prestige in being over 50.

15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well said, after all its only by the grace of God I got this far..

It would be an insult to disrespect the gift, and I am not about to do that!