What's the ideal place to hide my Ar-15 in the case of a home defense situation?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Terrey Thompson, Aug 9, 2017.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

I came in here to mention this.
    There are a few different ones around. I prefer the mechanical 4 button system.

I have kids in the house, so if it is not locked up it is on my hip. This is the fastest lock system I have found.

shootbrownelk and carver like this.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

How we manage our firearms is at night the tactical 12 gauge is about two feet from me. Leaning in the corner and easy reach. Semi-auto pistol set next to that. Extra mag... I am fully loaded. In the morning when I get dressed the semi-auto goes on me and the 12 gauge gets locked in the safe. Once home from work the 12 gauge comes back out and stays in the corner as long as my wife and I are at home. My pistol stays on me.

For me personally, the question is not necessarily where should you keep it. Instead the question might be, how can you regulate the control of the AR-15 so your wife and you have the control and so it is in the ready. We just had a home where the front door was kicked in and it turned out to be pretty brutal for the homeowner. Turns out their guns were in the safe. This is the same story for all the home invasions in the past 10 years in our area and so far it seems all the guns were locked up. The only guns that weren't locked up were the ones in the hands of the intruders.

Good luck!!!

Highboy

Riggs, shootbrownelk, ral357 and 4 others like this.

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the Forum! You have received some good information so far, so I won't bother you with more of the same. You didn't tell us if there were children in your home, or not. And that does make a difference. I have no children in my home, unless the grand kids come to visit. There is a gun in every room of my house, and when the grand kids come over I don't gather them up, and lock them up. I just tell the kids that if I catch them putting a hand on one of my guns, without my permission, I'll break their arm! As I sit here this morning it's just me, and the dog. Right next to me is a pistol, and spare ammo. A gun in the home is worthless, and reckless, with out the proper training, and availability. I hope you get it all sorted out. I would suggest that you take some home defense courses. You will get hands on experience, and training, as well as a feel for what you need in your home.

4. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Children or not???If no children,what's the problem?My Sig556 is right beside bed-no children-nearest neighbor is 1 m away.Overpenetrate-yes if you have FMJ-no if you have a good soft/polymer tip load.Do you have a high performance flashlight??Just as important as a reliable weapon.

carver likes this.
  5. Homer Carter

Homer Carter New Member

This is a good question that I've been grappling with regarding my home defense location. I too have a AR-15, Tatical Shotgun which I am having a difficult time trying to find the right place in our home to properly stage them. I keep my primary handgun in my gun safe stage in our master bedroom, so the question remains, where to stage the two long guns besides in a floor safe?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017 at 9:24 PM
  6. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Seeing as to how Mr Thompson hasn't been back... I'll just say what I want here.

I have the 12 gauge, the .410, and the 30-06 all loaded and on the rack next to the bed. I keep my .40 in a spare open carry holster clipped to the bed frame at night. A locked gun is useless in a home invasion. Two things that can buy you time.
    Get a dog. Dogs have been protectors of the home as far back as history can remember, and they will slow some down. If not deter them entirely. Even a little dog yapping his brains out can give you precious time to be ready.
    Get a handgun. If you're uncomfortable leaving an AR platform (or any long gun) out, a handgun can buy you the time to get to it, or be all you need to get to it.

I'll echo the comments, however, an AR may not be the best choice for home defense depending on your situation. With the way my house is situated with the neighbors I could possibly get away with it. But a shotgun... It's been said that no sound is more fearsome to a burglar than the sound of a 12 gauge pumping in a shell.

crystalphoto and gdmoody like this.
  7. georgerc

georgerc Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if these new users are liberal pollsters taking count, or maybe telemarketers, pushing sales, an AR 15 for home defense? In a remote area with the closet neighbor a mile away, maybe,
    As far as any liberal is concerned, my dogs are all you need to worry about, telemarketers, I get what I need when I need it, or when there's a stupid sale and I can't help myself, home Intruders, I'll leave you hanging, only one way to find out, try it. Lol

TigerLeo likes this.
  8. Homer Carter

Homer Carter New Member

Thanks, good sound advice.

TigerLeo likes this.