The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I've touched off a 6 Pounder with chain shot, sure makes clearing heavy brush fun! Same owner had a breech loader made with a surplus 40mm Bofors barrel. We installed a vernier long rang sight on it, and cast a spire point hollow base that weight a couple of pounds. With the sights, and rifled barrel, if you could see it, you could hit it.
Modern artillery, late 60's every Tues at Ft.Ord, 105's and 155's from our house on Toyan Heights. The 105's would rattle the windows, the 155's rattled the whole house. Cool light show when they had the night fire exercises, we could watch the full burn arc of multiple streams of .50BMG tracers.
Camping out there, with the Boy Scouts, a bunch us were throwing rocks at a coyote that ducked into some brush. Later speculated it was a Howitzer simulator of some kind where they had war games, went off and flattened us. MP's and Medics were there in minutes and checked us out. Kept asking me questions, but I couldn't even hear myself, much less them. Wasn't just my ears ringing, my whole body was! If that was just a simulator, I can't even imagine what being on the receiving end of the real thing would be like.

·
Registered
260 Posts
8" but also the 155 and 105.
I liked the m102 (105mm) the best. They all feel and sound about the same to me when standing by them on the fireing line.

I got out about the time the mlrs replaced the 8" guns and before gps replaced the colometers and aiming stakes. 30+ yrs ago.

Stood beside the vulcans a few times while they were firing (wow) but never was attached to that weapons system.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
I was a sonar tech in the Navy but in Nam, the water was pretty shallow so some of us worked in the upper handling room of the 5"/38 for something to do. As a civilian working for the Navy, I would ride ships and do a "service test" on the Terrier BTN . The "N" was removed and replaced with telemetry so we could collect data. A night shot was something to see.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just remembered this one before coffee this morning. I didn't see the artillery being fired but experienced it landing closeby. In the days or week following TET I remember one evening when they pulled all but a skeleton crew in from all the bunkers. We were told that artillery was going to be fired very close to us in order to bracket our position. We all thought that was great, knowing that we would receive close support if needed. But, later I was told that the real purpose was to level the place in case we were overrun so that none of the intelligence in the compound would get out. That was probably the main reason I had no qualms about saying no when the mandatory interview came asking us to reenlist.

Now, that is the story I've always believed. It just dawned on me this morning to post it over on a forum for the different MACV Teams and see if any of the officers posting there remember that night and what the real story may be and if it is any different than what I had heard.

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
The single most impressive/memorable
was a live fire of early Maverick missiles from F-4's at the Gila Bend firing range. There was a junior LT who immediately donned helmet and any other solid object he could find, and sought out the lowest possible patch of ground. We asked why, he said he'd seen Mavericks fired before. Genius OIC planned a run-in heading directly over our o.p. Briefed them inbound, #1 launched shortly after coming into view, missile started straight toward us for about the first second, then went haywire, pitched up, did a barrel roll and slammed straight into the ground about 200yds behind and to our right. Talk about a runaway train overhead followed by a loud boom. Genius oic immediately called in #2. Turns out the LT was right.

The 30mm on the A-10 is pretty impressive to watch also. Saw some fire at dumpsters as targets on the Yakima range, no more dumpsters after they fired.

The live 500 pounders dropped on the back side of China Lake, impressive, but we had to maintain alot of separation.

Dummy bombs dropped from low flying F-16's were fun to watch because they would skip for a mile or so after first hitting the ground.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
For those that mentioned the Vulcan Weapons system - I was interested in elisting for that platform, until I realized it was only mounted on the M113APC. Not a very survivable platform. Pass.

Rather thin Aluminum armor in a vertical configuration. (Not even sloped.) Mine susceptible as well. If it were mounted on something like the M55 Sheridan platform I probably would have been more inclined. Anyone who has been around the Vulcan Weapons system firing, knows how impressive it is.

I wanted to go in for Armor, but my Dad a 32yr ABN CSM WWII, Korea, Vietnam Vet - talked me out of it. (Based on his experience.)

I had it narrowed down to the M55 Sheridan platform, with the 82nd. Kinda wished I had.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"Dummy bombs dropped from low flying F-16's were fun to watch because they would skip for a mile or so after first hitting the ground."

That's a long way from the stories my FIN told me about his early years before his time on the Hornet and Yorktown. They would practice (probably stateside) in dive-bombers with flour filled bottles from a wooden crate. He told me that one time the crate tipped over and these bottles spilled around during a dive. The bottles jammed the controls and the pilot couldn't pull out until my FIL crawled around and freed it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I remember as a youngster, (7-9) yrs of age, having just come back from 6 yrs in Europe. (Ider Oberstein Germany, and Strasbourg France) going to White Sands Missile Base, North of Ft. Bliss,TX. (El Paso) and watching Dad - Blow stuff up, on a regular basis. Maybe I am somewhat jaded to stuff blowing up?

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
And since you asked... The rockets and mortars they fired at us in places like Iraq could get your attention.
For sheer irony, I was at Sather in Baghdad while the surge was going on. Sitting at the chapel's patio one afternoon, a Chaplains assistant mentioned he didn't mind the explosions that much, but was a little worried about the shrapnel, just then.. Boom -zinggg. We were just over the fence from the helipad which Hajji had pretty well dialed in by then.

Speaking of the Phalanx, it was pretty impressive system, Probly our second best friend after the Apache helicopter. Old timers said it eliminated Probly 60% of the incoming rounds.
Saw the best fireworks display ever the night following the death of Osama from another base in Iraq. Waiting outside the passenger terminal in the dark that night, in a vehicle, exposed, vulnerable. Phalanx goes off, tracers streak across the blackness, we see rockets being torn apart, burning debris falling, more phalanx firing, more bombs bursting in air.
But, just a big fat mistake(Trump's own words) that nobody wants to talk about anymore.

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
For those that mentioned the Vulcan Weapons system - I was interested in elisting for that platform, until I realized it was only mounted on the M113APC. Not a very survivable platform. Pass.

Rather thin Aluminum armor in a vertical configuration. (Not even sloped.) Mine susceptible as well. If it were mounted on something like the M55 Sheridan platform I probably would have been more inclined. Anyone who has been around the Vulcan Weapons system firing, knows how impressive it is.

I wanted to go in for Armor, but my Dad a 32yr ABN CSM WWII, Korea, Vietnam Vet - talked me out of it. (Based on his experience.)

I had it narrowed down to the M55 Sheridan platform, with the 82nd. Kinda wished I had.
Heard from a Sheridan TC that when it fired, the blast to the occupants was like being hit in the face with a basketball.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Yeah the m113 wasnt much but it would run.

The gamma goat was the worst though. Tried to pull m102s with them in the guard - pure junk.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I remember as a youngster, (7-9) yrs of age, having just come back from 6 yrs in Europe. (Ider Oberstein Germany, and Strasbourg France) going to White Sands Missile Base, North of Ft. Bliss,TX. (El Paso) and watching Dad - Blow stuff up, on a regular basis. Maybe I am somewhat jaded to stuff blowing up?
Sounds like a fun childhood!

Reactions: flboots

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
While at Aberdeen Proving Grounds for AIT back in 1980 after the towel heads in Iran took the U.S. Embassy hostage, Carter was considering invading Iran, the U.S. Navy decided to take one of the Iowa class ship out of moth balls incase the U.S. did do a military invasion. Aberdeen had 16” naval gun on a land mount and started to test 16” gun powder of Korean War vintage to test if it was still viable. I never saw this test gun, but when it was fired it shook the whole base. The concussion was breaking glass windows over a half mile away. Needless to say, it was LOUD.

(6 PPC is the parent cartridge of the 6.5 Grendel for cartridge size comparison.)

Second loudest gun was while at Ft. Hood were are unit had replaced the gun barrel on a M109, 155mm and it was tested with a proof load. I was about two hundred yards from it when it was fired. Its report was what I latter imagined what Krakatoa mite had sound like when it popped. I thought the gun had blown up.

Lastly, but not military. A good friend of mine had a custom rifle built in 7mm STW, with a 26” barrel with a muzzle break installed. Firing that rifle under the roof at gun range was almost unnerving.

·
Registered
850 Posts
105 recoilless rifle demo. There was a stack of the empty ammo boxes directly behind it, in the back blast area.

After it fired the pile of ammo crates was GONE, had to hunt to find a toothpick from them. You really need to see that demo to understand.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
105 recoilless rifle demo. There was a stack of the empty ammo boxes directly behind it, in the back blast area.

After it fired the pile of ammo crates was GONE, had to hunt to find a toothpick from them. You really need to see that demo to understand.
I would love to have seen (and heard) that!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It's kinda like when you've had a big bowl/plate of dehydrated (Crock Pot) Pinto beans over Rice, with fresh diced onions and chow chow.

Brap, braap, braap, kaboom. 🤤😖

·
Registered
8,031 Posts

Read a story about how the North Koreans/Chinese captured a 105mm recoiless rifle. They had a bunch of Commie Big Shots invited to see them test it out. Goofballs stood BEHIND IT for saftey. Story didn't end well at all for those Jokers who were behind it when they touched it off...

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Heard a story from a guy . Take it for what it's worth , he was a bit windy . He was a Vietnam vet and said he was on a base way out in the boondocs that was fixing to be over run and they were bugging out . They had some kind of artillery pieces and couldn't take it with them so they booby trapped what they left behind ammo to were when the VC would fire it it would explode the gun . Seems a bit far fetched to me but I have seen a documentary were we did monkey with rifle ammo stashes of the VC or left ammo for them to find that we had way over loaded a few rounds to were it would ruin the rifle firing it and maybe injure the shooter and mess with their minds . He was a very helpful person don't get me wrong but if he had done 1/10 of what he says he done in his life it would taken 3 life times . He was a combat vet , deep sea diver , mountain climber , cowboy , cop you name it he could tell you a 1st hand story on it . Lost his life to a drunk driver 1994 sadly .

21 - 40 of 45 Posts