Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

WHATS UP WITH COLT $$$$$ ??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Telcotech, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Went to a gun show last wkend with full intent of trading my Colt Trooper MK III in on maybe a Ruger GP100, or possibly a Tuarus w/ a bit longer barrel (6" - 8") and was thinkin' an accross board trade. Before bringing in my Colt, I passed by a table that had maybe 15 Colt and S.W. revolvers. Happened to spy an exact dulpicate of my 4" Trooper w/ a asking price of $785, that quite honestly was not in quite the shape as mine, plus I had 3 sets of grips (orig. Colt walnut, and 2 Hogue's). I dammed near fell over!! He also had a Diamond back in great shape for 1K, and 2 blued Python's for $1200, and a nickle Python for, get this, $1650. Holy cow......what is driving up the prices of Colt's?? Granted they are nice revolvers.......but!!
    Needless to say I took my Trooper home with me and decided I just may 'pop' for A GP100 or Tuarus outright and keep the Trooper!
    Any responses??

2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Sigh . . . the Colt mystique!

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Colts have always commanded good prices. As a rule they are well made and finished but so are many others. Most blame the movies. they gave Colt a mystique which now goes through from collectors of early percussion guns to the firearms being made today.

Is a modern double action revolver by Ruger or S&W better or worse than one by Colt? Thing is, the answer has nothing to do with the value.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

colt revolvers have gone through the roof price wise. check out the colt forum web site and you'll see asking prices that are unbelieveable. i just sold a 98% colt detective special 3rd edition for 600.00 no box but with a manual :D. i picked up a colt trooper mkIII from a friend for 350.00 it's in about 80% condition some holster wear. i've been offered 500 for it already by not one but 2 persons. not sure why you'd want a taurus or even a ruger over a colt, but i understand different strokes for different folks. the trooper mk III is a excellent handgun and is built like a tank. ok maybe not as good as a ruger strenght wise but it should last a life time under normal conditions.and as you already found out a good investment

5. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Not just Colt but with all revolvers in general the prices went throught the roof when the gun grabbing started. I bought my 686 new for 200 LESS than what the gun show people were asking for USED. Not until recently, did I see a 357 for a decent price. The gun shows further south seem to want more than the guys to the north. I don't know why, but thats the way it seems to be going at shows lately.

6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Sorta like buying a cadillac over a buick. Both are the same car, on the same chassis, and gets you from A to B in style.

The difference - you pay more for a frickin' cadillac. And it ain't worth it.

7. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Well, you gotta remember those are gun show asking prices.
    Last couple of gun shows I went to there were a lot of used guns with stout prices, but not many were selling, at least at those prices. Heck, I saw Llama .380 beaters marked $450!
    But yes, Colt prices have been rising faster than most others.

8. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yesterday at Cabela's, I saw a Colt .357 revolver for over $1,200. The comparable Ruger model was $569....

It's crazy.

9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

That's just ridiculous. Prices will have to come down eventually. No one will be able to buy at that high a price.

Eventually though, all prices will skyrocket, thanks to massive hyperinflation coming home to roost.

Buy all you can now, so you don't have to later. :mad::eek:

10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

1200 for a colt if it was a python thats a good price believe it or not.