The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see what I assume is fingernail polish over the primers on some pickup brass. What is the reason? I don't think it is to make them look pretty so it must be for a seal, or for identification, or something else, and is it useful?

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Could be fingernail polish. That works. Mostly likely, especially is if it military brass, is a primer sealer.

It fills the gap around the primer and helps to waterproof the ammo. They actually sell "primer sealer", at Midway and other places, but as I said, fingernail polish works, and is lots cheaper.

If you are doing "long term" storage, or are where it could get wet, it's not a bad idea.

· Registered
19,356 Posts
has anyone used the primer sealer from midway? i wouldn't mind making up a batch of my favs and sealing the primers and then using a nuetralizer ont he cases to remove acid and corrosives.. and then vac seal them ( have a foodpacker vac seal ) like milspec battle packs.

querstion.. i guess the crimp on the neck is a seal enough for that end huh?

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Hey - if nail polish works I'll use it. Probably cheaper than special primer sealer.

· Registered
5,235 Posts
S&B is the most commonly found commercial ammo that seals their primers with red sealant. Keeps moisture out and primarily, a little added insurance to keep the primer held tight.

· Registered
2,705 Posts
LOL Highboy, I think you are right!!!

Just wait til Norac or some of the others see this! I'm suprised you've gotten off easy thus far....

· Registered
18,148 Posts
sealer.

Liquid acrylic is often used as a sealer for projectiles and primers for milspec ammo. The most common and cheapest way for us civilans to obtain liquid acrylic is to raid mommas fingernail polish collection.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Soundguy, the folks I know that seal their primers, also run a stripe of it around the case mouth, to seal that end.

· Registered
607 Posts
I used to hunt in all weather conditions and I used nail polish to seal primers pockets against rain and wet conditions. It works too.

I used clear but less manly type hunters often use pink.

Michael Jackson tattoed his lips red, so stranger things have happened.

· Registered
19,356 Posts
Soundguy, the folks I know that seal their primers, also run a stripe of it around the case mouth, to seal that end.
wow.. i was unsure of running it around the projectile for fear of glueing it in and making the pressures high. i guess if it's done commercially ( sealed projectiles ).. and other hand loaders are doing it, i guess it's no issue then.

i might have to make up a few batches / battle packs for safe keeping.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
How might it cause problems? The powder burns, the gas expands, the case is pushed out, on all sides, until it reaches the chamber walls, and the bullet is left hanging in midair.

Exactly the same as with a bottleneck rifle case.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought the heat would cause the polish to melt and result in a build up in the chamber. Not sure what the melting point of the polish is, but the chamber does get pretty hot. Is that a problem?

· Registered
2,688 Posts
I thought the heat would cause the polish to melt and result in a build up in the chamber. Not sure what the melting point of the polish is, but the chamber does get pretty hot. Is that a problem?
You're not going to use that much. Just a little around the bullet and any excess removed after seating. I believe all military ammo is sealed around the primer and bullet (have you ever tried to pull a bullet from military ammo?).

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm talking about fingernail polish not lacquer used on gun cases. The gun case or gun grade lacquer appears to be formulated to have a very high melting point. I'm not sure that fingernail polish has the same high melting point.

· Registered
18,462 Posts

Factories do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.