What's with Iver Johnson?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I was wondering what is so appealing about Iver Johnson firearms? I am not being sarcastic I really just don't know. I have never heard of them until I became a member here. Everyone and their mother seems to be asking questions about them. What am I missing out on?

2. islenos

islenos Active Member

As for me, when I was eight years old with a pocket full of shells and an Iver Johnson bolt gun in my hands......yep, I was on the top of the world.:)

3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

right i've been saying the same thing. Soooo many threads about IJ's. And the stories are almost all the same.

"i found this gun in an estate sale. its got iver johnson writen on it. it says gun and bicycle co. no serial number, oh wait yea i found it under the handle. dont know what it shoots, it doesn't say if it is a .32, .38 or .39. i dunno. whats it worth? can you shoot it?

the answer is simple. ah it's worth about 150 to 300 bucks. no dont shoot it with modern ammo now!

ive never seen such pos get so much attention.

I am sure they were the next best thing to sliced bread in their time but come on. they dont seem to be worth anyting except sentimental value to some which i do respect. i just cant believe the following these things get.
    And i may be wrong and may catch flack but these things are no HK's.
    they remind me of the 1980's saturday night specials if I had to put them in a class.

4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I think the real issue is that we have an IJ expert here as a member, so people come here to get answers. I for one don't at all think this is a bad thing. I wish we had an expert like Mr. Goforth on every manufacturer.

If you Google "Iver Johnson revolver," TFF is the top result. People go where they can get their answers, so this is the place to be.

5. cycloneman

nooooo problem at least now i know why they find this forum. that is great to know so we are the experts when it comes to IJ:D:D:D:D

Thanks Camp the questions reguarding all other makes vs IJ was really tipped heavy in the IJ side. Now at least i know and now i can sleep at night.:D:D;):eek:

6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There are two things going on here. One is that we have THE expert on IJ here in the fold.

Another is that there are many oldsters whose guns are going on the market or being passed down to grandkids. Another factor of the aging of the baby boomers.

Pops

7. 358 winchester

358 winchester New Member

AGING what you mean AGING all of us aren't as old as you and Marlin :D;)

8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Here's hoping you get there. Maybe if you stay out of the house often enough, she'll let you live long enough. :D

Pops

9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i for one like all the iver johnson/H&R questions it lets me get the word out about these two manufacturer. why are there so many questions, simple there are a lot of iver johnson and H&R firearms out there. these companies made firarms for the masses in very large numbers, they were the worlds largest suppliers of 22 caliber plinking revolvers and personal protection centerfire revolvers. it would take all the firearms manufactured by remington, winchester, smith & wesson and colt, including thier military contracts to equal the civilian production of iver johnson and H&R between 1871 and 1986. in 1890 iver johnson had the manufacturing capability of manufactuing 2000 revolvers a day. their factory was five three story brick buildings on about five acres of land. H&R's factory took up an entire city block. if a person only owned one firearm there is a 75% chance it was either an iver johnson or an H&R.

as far as the quality of their firearms goes they were just as good as any other in the black powder era and just as good as other in the smokeless powder era. the main problem was their black powder revolvers were so good they were kept in service a long time after the smokeless era began. why should someone buy a new revolver when the old one still works. iver johnson was probably the last manufacturer to make the change to smokeless powder, they did so in 1909. H&R made the change in 1905. iver johnson manufactured well over 4 million top break revolvers and H&R was close behind then in total production and 60% of these were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures, this accounts for a lot of worn out and beat up black powder revolvers people would not stop using until they were worn out and beat up 50 plus years later.

if you compare the iver johnson's & H&R's of the smokeless powder era to others there are about an equal number of colt and S&W that were abused and in need of repairs. in 1911 the u.s. navy purchased 1500 iver johnson third model safety automatic revolvers and an equal number of colt and Smith & Wesson in caliber 38 S&W. in 1942 when the navy turned these revolvers over to the OSS all the iver johnson's were serviceable but only about half of the colt and smith & wesson revolvers were classified as serviceable by the navy.

the last thing i will say is the transfer bar ignition system in use today on about 99% of all revolvers was patented in 1896 by iver johnson. the so called Glock safety trigger was patented by iver johnson in 1886.

keep the iver johnson and H&R questions coming!
    bill

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. corsair

corsair Member

I'll reiterate. What a prize having Bill Goforth on this site.He has helped a whole lot of IJ and H&R people. Thanks Bill

11. cycloneman

Mr.Goforth

Thanks for the education sir. I just couldnt figure out how come the balance of qustions were tipped in the IJ corner. Now that I know i think its great to have the expertice you possess. Judging these weapons aganist modern day smokless weapons was wrong of me. I am only 43 years old and hmmm dont know about that older stuff. :eek: