The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....for buying another gun?

Not looking for the basic reasonings such as "Because I wanted to." or other boring, sound. logical answers. Rather the convoluted, illogical, crazy reasons why we've brought new or "new to me" firearms home to the stables.

As many of you know I have a thing for collecting Iver Johnson firearms and when it comes to collecting the usual reasons for buying another tend to be "I don't have THAT model or version yet." or my favorite "It was a good deal!"

A couple recent acquisitions to my collection fell outside my usual reasonings above.

The first was a Champion matted rib single shot with a selectable extractor ejector in 20 gauge. It wasn't mint but it wasn't a beater either. I'll admit I could've used the boring "Don't have THAT version." excuse but I didn't.
The excuse I used to justify buying it was a member of the rod & gun club I belong to lent me an Alofs reloading magazine for single shot shotguns in 20 gauge to examine and I thought I might have a chance of buying it off him.

The other was another Champion single shot in 16 gauge, regular round barrel and a finish that's best described as "eh". When I saw it listed on The Auction Site That Shall Not Be Named, I had to get it because of its serial number!
For a period of time Iver Johnson used the letters from the word FITCHBURG instead of numbers for the serial numbers on single shot shotguns where F=1 and G=9. They're fairly common with the all letter SN's but this was a low two digit one where the SN translated to 17. I'll let everyone figure out the translation on their own!

So there's a couple of "excuses" I've used to buy guns.
What are yours???

Oh yeah, my "excuse" on the 20 gauge panned out!

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
Need/want another Remington XP 100 in .221 Fireball so I can rebarrel it to build another rifle for my "20 TCM" Wildcat. Not a collector and havn't shot any of my rigs in a loooong time but I sure would build another to match my ammo.
And I'll say that IS a fine looking rig you've got there. Never seen anything like it. Sure is pretty.:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Nope, no such excuses/reasons. All my firearms purchases have been sound financial, historical or research decisions. 😁 (the choice of emoji's sucks)

·
Super Moderator
10,424 Posts
When I buy a new gun it's for the adrenalin rush of sneaking it past the olé lady, the prosses requires saving enough money for the purchase (While she's buying shoes and purses) Hiding the PC screen so she cant see what I'm looking at, (she knows TFF) talking in secret code via E-mail with FFL guy.
And the sneakiness part is the transfer from vehicle to safe while she's trying on her new shoes in the bedroom.
And the funny part is after a week or so I get it out of the safe and she says where did you get that gun ? and my reply every time is "honey haven't you seen this gun" I've bought this 10 years ago.
Her reply, Well....I need a purse to match my new shoes.

franks guns 36.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
And the funny part is after a week or so I get it out of the safe and she says where did you get that gun ? and my reply every time is "honey haven't you seen this gun" I've bought this 10 years ago.
Trust me they know everything. Bought a new spinning reel and rod to go after Strippers. Stashed it in the garage then after about a week, pulled out. She saw it and the look on her face told me I was "dead meat". THEY KNOW!!

If Mrs. Witt wants quilting stuff, she just buys it.
The only problem with that is, my fabric stash is bigger that hers. I don't buy 1/4 or 1/2 yard pieces and NEVER fat quarters. (unless it's 10 FQ at a time). Go big or go home.
I'll take 10 yards of that please. It's called "gasping fabric". ;) :cool:

Another way to look at it. You busted your hump for YEARS to get to where you're at, the kids are gone, you don't owe anybody anything and life is getting shorter every day. You're only going around one time unless you're Shirley MacLaine. You can't take it with you so you better enjoy it NOW!! :D:D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Excuses? Excuses? I don't need no stinking excuses! Of course if I want to live to use said firearm I will think of one pretty quickly!

Seriously, though, my wife and I are pretty tight when it comes to spending money. So if there is really something that I want or need there is no fight about it ... it just becomes the next birthday, anniversary, Christmas present. Most of my collection was acquired when I was single. The last 20+ years brought on different responsibilities and my purchases have been much fewer and far between.

·
Premium Member
17,527 Posts
When I buy a new gun it's for the adrenalin rush of sneaking it past the olé lady, the prosses requires saving enough money for the purchase (While she's buying shoes and purses) Hiding the PC screen so she cant see what I'm looking at, (she knows TFF) talking in secret code via E-mail with FFL guy.
And the sneakiness part is the transfer from vehicle to safe while she's trying on her new shoes in the bedroom.
Her reply, Well....I need a purse to match my new shoes.

View attachment 239362
Now that is funny, but the sad thing is I've used that excuse a few times. And i have also noticed a few new purses and shoes around the house lately!:(

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
I always prided myself that when I see a picture of some type of firearm or modification from any era that nothing actually (usually) surprises me because if I haven’t seen it before I have probably read or heard about one and can at least make an educated guess on what it is...but I admit this picture absolutely stumped me.

I’m still trying to figure out WHAT is on the side of it, much less WHY🤔🤔🧐🧐🤔

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
I have more firearms I haven't even fired that now I only pick up something I think I can make a profit on. So far this year I have cleared just over $1,000. Currently have a couple I just picked up that I hope to make at least 10% on in 2021. Else I'm going to have to pickup another safe.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Another way to look at it. You busted your hump for YEARS to get to where you're at, the kids are gone, you don't owe anybody anything and life is getting shorter every day. You're only going around one time unless you're Shirley MacLaine. You can't take it with you so you better enjoy it NOW!! :D:D
Besides, the way things are going the firearms you buy now will be worth more later than the money in the bank..
Think about it..

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I always prided myself that when I see a picture of some type of firearm or modification from any era that nothing actually (usually) surprises me because if I haven’t seen it before I have probably read or heard about one and can at least make an educated guess on what it is...but I admit this picture absolutely stumped me.

I’m still trying to figure out WHAT is on the side of it, much less WHY🤔🤔🧐🧐🤔
That's a self loading conversion for a single shot shotgun.
You crack open the action and after the shell is ejected, the unit automaticaly loads another shell for you. Close the action and you are ready to go.

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Despite what I said in my first post if it's over $1,000.00 I always ask or say "I'd like to have this rifle", more as a request than a statement. Anything under a grand, if I want it I just get it and tell Joyce there will be some e-mails coming in about a rifle or handgun. These days it has to be something pretty special or something really obscure that I'd like to work with before it piques my interest. It's a whole lot more about figuring out how to make the cases, calculate and work up a load and make something shoot and shoot accurately than it is about having 5K or 10K rounds of 223, 9mm or any other cartridge to burn up, BTDT and, it wasn't much of a challenge or much fun. Didn't last long either before I went back to precision work. There isn't many left out there that capture my interest.

As an example, the last couple weeks I've been working with the Vierordt double and the Hornady, 8mm, 170 gr., .323 bullet swaged to .318 loaded over H-4895. This morning's 4 shot, composite group went into 2 1/2 inches at 75 yards, fired from a standing bench rest. I figure that isn't bad for 67 year old eyes and a 110 year old double rifle that's been rechambered.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
johnsxj

"Oh yeah, my "excuse" on the 20 gauge panned out! "

Now then, Isn't that braking a few rules:):):).
A semi automatic single shot shotgun. Or is that an auto loading brake open single shot.
The later would be the proper description. The whole contraption is too slow to go "Fully semi automatic".

Another gun I bought using twisted reasoning was a Remlin 336 in .30-30.
A friend and I were up at The Kittery Trading Post in Maine several years back. Nothing was jumping out at me and then my friend pointed out a rack of Remlins that were basically new but tagged at used prices. He had recently bought a bunch of used reloading equipment that included dies, some brass, and bullets for .30-30 that he had no use for and would give to me.
Free stuff to load .30-30 = I had to buy a .30-30 gun!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts