The Firearms Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,465 Posts
Last nite we had standard GC scandwiches filled with thin slices of mild Banana peppers, along with one slice of smoked Gouda cheese in the middle of the sandwich. And homemade Cauliflower soup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What a thread to find on a gun forum! Love it. Most often mine are cheese and whatever meat sounds good at the moment. Ham, Turkey, hard salami and tuna salad are my faves. Cheddar, Swiss or pepperjack cheese. One I'm jonesing for right now is ham & cheese with an over easy egg slipped in when sandwich is done. Should be so runny that your fingers poke through the toast before you finish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine are simple. Jewish Rye with honey turkey & provolone cheese. Sometimes a dab of Guldens Spicy brown mustard for an extra kick.

An alternate for me is Patrami on Rye with smoked provolone cheese. Mayo instead of butter to grill and a Klosens Dill on the side.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I like mine with "all four sides" buttered and lightly grilled with some pickled jalapeno peppers.
My wife always butters all four sides for that extra flavor.

Mine are simple. Jewish Rye with honey turkey & provolone cheese. Sometimes a dab of Guldens Spicy brown mustard for an extra kick.

An alternate for me is Patrami on Rye with smoked provolone cheese. Mayo instead of butter to grill and a Klosens Dill on the side.
Oh yes to all the above, Jewish Rye is great although I like others for some variety.

And I remember when my grandmother (best cook ever!) used to can special garden banana peppers with varying heat from mild to tangy just for sandwiches. Ham & cheese, TC, you name it with my collection of mustards and generally Hellman's Light or regular Mayo.

....OH YEAH I can get hungry for that now......but the wife made some homemade tuna mac topped with seasoned bread crumbs, leftovers tonight!!! Ummmmm. ;)

Reactions: raven818

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Add a few extra ingredients and you can make a hearty sandwich...Hard cooked egg, fried ham, mayo on the bread. The hot egg melts the cheese, the ham adds more body, and a slice of onion spices it up. All on toast, of course, the Brits call it a Hammy, Eggy, Cheesy....

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
(2/22/15- Wife and I saw this today, looked delicious so I figured I'd share it with y'all, oh she had it with a good tomato soup...enjoy!)

Best Grilled Cheese Ever Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond, "Pioneer Woman"

Total Time: 35 min Prep: 25 min Cook: 10 min Yield:4 servings Level:Easy

Ingredients:
4 poblano or Anaheim chiles (or you may use canned whole green chiles) <--maybe option for some??
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
8 slices rye bread <---she used the mixed marble-like rye on TV
12 slices provolone <----LOTS of cheese!!
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
8 slices Cheddar <---and more cheese!!
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

Directions:
Begin by roasting the chiles over the flame on your stovetop (or under the broiler) until the skin is totally blackened (if using fresh). When the chiles are totally charred, throw them into a plastic bag. Seal and allow them to steam and cool.

Next, pour the white vinegar over the sliced red onion and let them sit awhile. This'll take away a little of the crazy onion flavor and leave them with a nice sweetness.

Finally, make the special sauce: equal amounts of mayonnaise and Dijon. It's the simple things in life!

When you're ready to make the sandwiches, scrape the blackened skin off the chiles. Scrape out the seeds, too, so you'll wind up with big pieces of roasted green chiles.

For each sandwich, generously spread 2 pieces of rye bread with the special sauce. Lay on 2 slices of provolone, 2 slices of tomato, 2 slices of Cheddar... a nice layer of roasted green chiles... a few red onion slices... and one more slice of provolone just to hold it all together.

Top with the other slice of bread and spread the outsides with a good amount of butter.

Toast the sandwich in a skillet over medium-low heat until the cheese is thoroughly melted inside. Be careful not to burn the bread!

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/best-grilled-cheese-ever.print.html?oc=linkback

Reactions: carver and raven818

·
Premium Member
12,465 Posts
I ripped it. Sounds really good. My wife already loads my GC sandwiches up with slices of Banana Peppers, uncooked, after the sandwich is made. So your first step with the peppers got my attention.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
When I saw Ree roasting the peppers over an open fire on the range I knew this was a bit different .

When you roast peppers over an open flame then bag them they just peel apart real easy plus easy to scrape the seeds out.

Reactions: carver

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
I thought I made this up... Grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches, until my wife informed me that she used to get them over in Cali... Regardless, thin sliced habanero peppers don't hurt a thing.

Reactions: carver

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Ok, I'll join in . First the wife bakes a loaf of bread. The bread is sliced 1/2 thick. Buttered on both sides and then cooper sharp cheese is added. Fry in butter until golden brown on both sides. Served with pickle wedges and potato chips. Add a large glass of ice and root beer.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Grilled cheese=basic for me
Plain soft white bread covered generously with REAL butter, regular American cheese and grilled crispy but not to dark. My those go down easy...
Oh yeah real butter is better than some spread . Once in awhile I go back and read the old posts here .

Wife is home from work and it's going to be GC sandwiches tonight, we have American cheese on hand some pickles on the side and cold milk, mm mm can't wait :)

.....oh she's making tomato basil soup too!

Reactions: Crpdeth and carver

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
I like any good bread, but my favorite for grilled cheese is wheat berry, it toasts up nice and has added crunch. Butter on the outside. I use a slice of Tillamook Cheddar and a slice of Tillamook Pepperjack with some thin sliced ham and onions in between the cheese slices. And I really like it with fresh tomato soup.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Another big fan of tomato soup! Soup, and sandwich, just go together. Together they just fall naturally into "comfort food"!

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
OMG Didn't mention this in my post, but part of the enjoyment of eating a GC with home baked bread is SMELLING THE BREAD AS IT BAKES!!! She has a loaf in the oven in a ceramic dutch oven as I type and my stomach is attempting to eat my liver. The entire house smells good (even with me in it). My stomach is growling, I'm drooling, I can't think straight. I LOVE FOOD.

Reactions: mjp28

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Yummers!!!
Oh yes it was and is, she made a big pot from scratch starts with garden tomatoes but if not in season canned tomatoes, chicken stock and other ingredients including her own herbs we grow out back .

I'll have to get her to write it down. ..it is NOT just soup out of a can (which works in a pinch ). It doesn't come out bright red more a reddish orange I guess but great with TC :)

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Oh this reminds me of another favorite Monte Cristo Sandwiches. A local restaurant does a great one the way I like it, no berry sauce dip or powdered sugar, basically a good ham & cheese sandwich deluxe. There are many recipes but here's a general one:

Directions:
1. To make the sandwiches: Lay the bread out on the work surface. Spread one side of each slice with the (Dijon) mustard. Spread half of the cheese on 4 slices of the bread. Cover with half of the turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste. Evenly spread the cranberry on the turkey on the sandwich. Top with the remaining turkey; season with salt and pepper to taste, and cover with the remaining cheese and bread. Press down slightly on each sandwich.

2. In a lipped plate or dish, whisk together the eggs and milk, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 2 large skillets over medium-low heat, add a tablespoon of both butter and oil to each pan. Dip and coat each of the sandwiches in the egg mixture and lay in the pans. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted, about 6 to 8 minutes.
------------------------------------------
Or from our restaurant -
Monte Cristo – roasted turkey, baked ham, fresh-baked bread, dipped and pan-grilled
$7 ½
Definitely from the South, definitely a reward for the hard-worker (oh it does have plenty of cheese too)
Anybody else here like, tried or made a Monte Cristo Sandwich? I love the one at my local restaurant/pub with a good lager.
Well my wife and her mother were out stopped The Cheddars Restaurant (a chain never been there before ) had a good meal and brought me back a Monte Cristo sandwich. ..it was awful!!

A kind of too sweet roll opened up, stuffed and deep fried way to greasy instead of bread slices and done on a grill or sandwich press. So there I had a rare bad toasted cheese .....maybe I can talk the wife into making a good one tomorrow :)

61 - 80 of 86 Posts