The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just asking because I found one relatively close to my house. I don't really know what to think about them. What I'm looking at is a Trophy hog hunt for about $800. It's a three day two night with food and room included. They also pack the hog out and will let you dress it, or again they'll process it for you. I'm chomping at the bit to get a trophy pig, but can't decide if it's unsportsman-like to hunt inside a fence. They have a lot of other species for good prices. I don't really like the "caged animal" part, but it guarantees an animal that I otherwise would have no chance to try.
Just wondering the thoughts of others. I also refuse to kill something I won't eat(except coyote), so I was wondering if a 300-500lb hog would be any count.

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
I'm thinking that whole "inside the fence" thing would depend on how much room is "inside the fence".

I used to hunt on a soybean farm. Small one. Only about a hundred acres. Inside a fence. I hunted there five or six years. Never did manage to cover the entire hundred acres.

If you're hunting a pig in my fenced back yard - 70 feet by a hundred - yeah, he probably ain't got a whole lot of chance to get away.

If, however, that pig is running around in a five-hundred-acre fenced plot, his odds of survival are much better.

Reactions: hstout1143
G

·
Their are pig running all over this country. Wild ones that need killin. I would spend the $800 to drive to Texas and get pig tags. They will let you kill as many as you like. Hell I am sure they wish they had Obummers drones to kill them.

That is just me. I lost all respect for hunting shows and hunting farms when I watched a guy go hunting by driving up to a heard of buffalo 50 people had cornered in a gully. This guy drives up in a brand new Chevy 2500 with every option in the book hops out looks at the camera and says LETS GO HUNTING. He then turned walked 50 feet and pointed the gun into the heard and pulled the trigger. no aiming no nothing.

Canned hunts are canned hunts. It is unsportsmanlike and should be illegal. You are going to take a caged animals by truck to an area drop him off then they are going to pick you up and drop you off less than 1k yards away and say he is over yonder. The whole while they starved him for 4 days and dropped him in the middle of a bait pile to keep him there until you get there.

Nope can say that I would ever do it. That is just me though. If the hog is farm raised it is not a trophy.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My .02 is that you would spend that much or more just for a hotel stay. You get a weekend trip and some fresh groceries. Go and have fun.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I also refuse to kill something I won't eat(except coyote), so I was wondering if a 300-500lb hog would be any count.
In my experience, the bigger the hog is, the less edible it is. The really big "trophy" size ones are going to be big, smelly boars. Their meat is so gamey that it isn't worth processing. It will make you want to gag. In my area, we usually drag the big boars off for the coyotes and buzzards to eat, since they're not good for anything else. The best eating-size feral hog is in the 125-150 lb. range, or thereabouts. Anything over 200 lbs., I've found, is pretty nasty. Your mileage may vary.

As for the idea of hunting inside a game ranch that specializes in it, I don't really have any issues with it as long as the animal has a fair chance to (1) not be found in the first place, and (2) be able to escape when spooked. After all, even a "canned hunt" is more ethical than eating meat that comes from commercial meat farms, where animals live their whole lives packed shoulder-to-shoulder, being fattened up for slaughter.

I do most of my hog hunting on a 1,000-acre fenced ranch that's meant for exotic deer and antelope. That's a lot of room. Even 100 acres would be plenty for the hogs to be able to move about and hide. I usually do my hunting on foot, stalking them or flushing them out of the brush, rather than sitting in a blind near a feeder. That isn't sporting at all.

So I guess a lot of my opinion on your proposed ranch hunt would depend on what type of hunting it is.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i've hunted private leases and public property, and have paid to have someone process my kill and drive it out for me.

I'f it's a huge lease.. something ai couldn't walk in a day... I got no issues with hunting it.

None of my stuff was farm raised.. was all wild.. but as far as pigs go.. Most consider them nuisance animals. kill as many as you want.. farm raised or not.

look at it like this. if you take a nice 300-500#'er that has been raised on a lease or farm you will have a a better looking mount, and the meat will probably be cleaner with less loss.

all the wild pigs I've shot usually had poor amount of bacon.. something that ate semi regular problable has better ribs.. they seem to go first when food is scarce..

if you don't have good hunt areas around you.. go for it.

I don't think I'll be up for flying to africa to do a safari hunt any time soon with the economy and political scene like it is.. however I know of 2 preserves stateside that would cost me 10% of a real africa trip, and the land expanse on those preserves are thousands of ac. not like shooting a deer tied to a rope along a fence or anything.. I'd not feel bad about taking a prong horn out of a preserve like that.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I make a distinction between hunting and harvesting. I harvest a deer every year from my front porch. I don't consider it hunting. To me it's no different than buying a steak from the market. Hunting is getting out in the woods, etc. and hoping you find what you're looking for. Kinda like the difference between fishing and catching. :)

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Hunting on a ranch or other private land that will let you hunt on it is one thing - those 'canned hunts' where the animal has no chance to escape or evade are another.

Heard of one outfit that charges 'clients' to walk up to a buffalo in a pen and blow it's brains out. That is disgusting to me. I used to deer and elk hunt, and the kill was never the high point. Never trophy hunted either. The horns were always too chewy. But I got nothing against trophy hunters.

One thing I could never figure out. How can anyone stalk a deer or an elk on an ATV? Bunch of you will argue that with me, but to me that is not sporting. If the critters are too far to go after on foot or by pack animal, just leave them be. Used to hate to see guys prowl the ridgelines on ATVs. Kind of takes the sport out of it.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
the canned hunts you guys speak of. i gues i have never heard of them.

what are they? animals in a pen you shoot? I wouldn't be in for that.

we've also never hunted on atv. we walk in and if / when we make a kill, if you can get an atv to the kill.. or near it.. we will radio each other to see if anyone is near camp.. etc..

i've hunted leases that took me half a day to walk to my 'area' and then never seen an animal.. or at least never lined up anything resembling a shot... :)

if the animal is in it's own environment and has multiple ac to avoid me.. and I have to go find it.. or be quiet and let it find me.. I think that's fine.

driving up to a group penned or dropepd off.. naw.. wouldn't be in for that...

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is a place in our county that has some hunts for $17,500 on trophy whitetails. Their glossy colored brochure shows monster racks on huge bucks.

A little high for my wallet. I hunt on my own land and cringe on a $25 license and $100 if I take one to a processor.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There is a place in our county that has some hunts for $17,500 on trophy whitetails. Their glossy colored brochure shows monster racks on huge bucks.

A little high for my wallet. I hunt on my own land and cringe on a $25 license and $100 if I take one to a processor.
Don't need a license/tag to take deer on your own land in MS, or on state land if over 65. I get mine processed for about $50, depending on weight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Howdy I never had much use for hunts behind a fence. And I use to think that any trophy animal taken in these inclosers should be kept out of the record books. Bone and Crocket ect ect this wasnt fair chase hunting. And now that I am older and had some time to think about hunting behind a fence I belive I was wrong. Having this option could be great for somebody who is disabled like my self or has a mobility issue. I can see where a family man with a time problem could take the whole family. And have a 2-3 day sucesfull hunt with great memories. I say if hunting pigs on a fenced ranch sounds good to you do it and do it often. If you dont like it try something else. And dont forget good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Howdy I never had much use for hunts behind a fence. And I use to think that any trophy animal taken in these inclosers should be kept out of the record books. Bone and Crocket ect ect this wasnt fair chase hunting. And now that I am older and had some time to think about hunting behind a fence I belive I was wrong. Having this option could be great for somebody who is disabled like my self or has a mobility issue. I can see where a family man with a time problem could take the whole family. And have a 2-3 day sucesfull hunt with great memories. I say if hunting pigs on a fenced ranch sounds good to you do it and do it often. If you dont like it try something else. And dont forget good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!
Gotta have fences around here because most places also raise cattle or sheep or goats. Low fences don't impede most game animals movement. High fences are a different beast. In my mind, it depends on the acreage fenced.
Please kill all the feral pigs possible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, they claim 2400 acres with 1000 being devoted just to sheep, buffalo, and wild pig. I might do as mentioned and save the money, go to Texas and find somewhere to hunt them. My biggest problem where I live, is noone wants the pigs, but the same people won't let us on the property to hunt them.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
you can hunt ferral pigs in fl year round too.

2400 ac? that's plenty sporting for hunting.

if it was like 10ac.. then well.. no..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've thought about a canned hunt since i cant walk far these days . But when i think of how much fun i had hunting it was always about the hunt, not the kill. I see nothing wrong with a sporting chance for the game and food on the table.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
My God I’m getting old. Years ago I knew there shades of gray and black even a few off colored whites but I had my values! You don’t kill, you don’t steal, and you don’t mess with superman’s cape.

But now I see things a little different. As far as the killing part. If someone threatens to harm my family I will kill them. I do not accept stealing, but if you are starving… I’ve never seen superman kill anyone in real life so what’s the big deal? And yes, I can almost tell for certain when movies don’t use real dinosaurs.

How big of a pen before hunting is unethical? A 1 acre pen with high fence, no cover, and filled with critters? How about a 1000 acre ranch with a stand in front of the only water hole and 300 pounds of grain? How about a 500,000 acre ranch the same set up only with deer plots etc. plus the grain, and guides making drives during the day?

Some years ago I was on route 1 in Eastern Pa. I saw a sign advertising trout fishing. I needed a break so I pulled in. There was a store and beside it was a 20 yard by 30 yard pond with a small stream emptying into it. For a couple dollars they would give you a Zebco with a hook on the line, a piece of cheese, and instruct you to just plop the cheese in the pond and move it. Almost as soon as the bait hit the water the 4-500, 1-2 pound trout would be in frenzy for it. Within 5 minutes I had 4 plump trout in a cooler and was on the way home. Was it sporting? Humane? Sportsmanlike? I didn’t really think so but what I do remember is: Those fish were delicious.

This year I continued to be crippled up from a combination of old age, an accident, and stupidity. My son has a friend whose barn sits beside a food plot. Each night dozens of deer come by the barn’s window offering a 6 yard shot. I turned it down this year but think if any of my conditions don’t improve next year I’m going to take the shot. I comfort myself saying it’s for the freezer. This year I dragged my big butt into the woods a couple times and ended up with two in the freezer.
;)
As far as how others hunt, I guess I’ll go with: If it is legal, do it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts