What's your view on this one ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

bondai
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/18/02 11:14:51 am)
    | Edit | Del All What's your view on this one ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Gary Gentile
    AP Business Writer
    Thursday, January 17, 2002; 1:46 PM

LOS ANGELES –– The new federal law requiring airport screeners to be U.S. citizens is unconstitutional and discriminatory, a lawsuit filed Thursday charges.

Nine screeners who could lose their jobs sued Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta and John Magaw, the undersecretary of transportation for security, in federal court.

About 20 percent of the nation's 28,000 screeners are not citizens.

The law barring noncitizens also could compromise airport security by eliminating experienced screeners, said Ben Wizner of the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, an attorney for the plaintiffs.

Comment was not immediately available from Mineta or Magaw.

"When I learned about this law, I was deeply hurt," said plaintiff Vicente Crisologo, who has worked at San Francisco International Airport for more than two years. He said legislators should remember "their forefathers were once immigrants, too."

Crisologo, a permanent legal resident, came to the United States from the Philippines about three years ago to be closer to his son and two grandchildren. The former pharmaceutical company sales manager won't be eligible to apply for citizenship for another two years.

The citizenship requirements will be felt keenly at San Francisco airport, where about 80 percent of its 800 screeners are not citizens, said Andrew McDonald, spokesman for the Service Employees International Union. At Los Angeles International Airport, an estimated 40 percent of the 1,000 screeners are non-citizens.

Smoky14
    (1/18/02 5:48:07 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: What's your view on this one ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gee tooo bad! Hum, have to be a citizen; what a novel idea. Probably have to speak english too. Must read and write? WOW

1 dano
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/02 6:07:02 pm)
    | Edit | Del RE:
    I don't see a problem with that requirement. And.....I also think all screeners / security should be federalized.

And....contrary to popular belief, I do believe that THEY SHOULD have at least half a brain.

bondai
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/18/02 8:51:28 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: RE:
    Maybe we should federalize the cops too, that way there won't ever be any law suits. For example: if someone got their nose busted by a cop during a DUI stop. What do you think ?

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/02 10:26:11 pm)
    Pay attention, this is typical of what happens when federal control takes over...instead of focusing on key skills necessary to enhance airport security, the central issue becomes "citizenship". What's next, "diversity"? In SF and LA, about 60-70% of ALL service industry workers are non-citizens, no surprise there.

Its scary that I find myself on the side of ACLU, but citizenship is completely irrelevent to one's ability to perform airport security functions. Not to say that screeners shouldn't pass background checks suitable for their security clearance. And, screeners should be fired or promoted on how well they perform on the job...i.e., spotting test objects inserted in bags, which seem to pass thru checkpoints all too frequently.

Jackson
    (1/19/02 12:01:51 am)
    Yes, they should be citizens. It is about time that America should be looking after Americans and not have the bleeding hearts society giving half this country away. And, while we are at it close the dam borders as well.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/19/02 2:37:28 am)
    What Jackson said.

jimejones
    (1/19/02 8:20:21 am)
    | Edit | Del What's your view on this one ???
    As I recall from school days many decades ago, the president of our country is to be an American born American citizen. Too bad. Otherwise, maybe we could bribe Great Britain into swapping leaders.

omega252
    (1/19/02 9:01:00 am)
    I agree that their citizenship is irrelevant to their qualifications, givin a background check. But, in some cases, a proper background check might be difficult to do on someone who has not resided in the US for long.

As to the constitution, well the constitution was writtin for the protection of AMERICAN CITIZENS and does not necessarily include anybody who happens to be standing on US soil.

This notion that every one in the world is guarenteed the rights that American citizens enjoy--under the constitution--is just more liberal BS that is designed to weaken the constitution, not strengthen it.
    Omega

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/19/02 9:15:58 am)
    Jackson makes a good point...the borders have been out of control; this has been a major federal snafu. Furthermore, federal policies accomodating illegals (shooling, healthcare, etc.) add another giant neon sign inviting more to "come on in". Hell, the DEMS relaxed voting registration requirements just so they could gain a few votes from non-citizens!

That said, to impose citizenship requirements for airport screeners, is really missing the point...it does nothing to improve security, does it? And, while emotionally it feels good to be "looking after americans", this extra requirement for this one job description, ain't even a drop in the ocean, as far as that issue is concerned. Let's talk about nafta, epa and the other alphabet agencies that impose extra costs on American industry, if you want to go there.

In summary, examine your reasoning. If you expect fedgov, with bassackwards dictates like this to solve the problem, you'll be disappointed. If only we could get them to perform the basic functions they OUGHT to be concerned with (like border control), that would be a starting point.

Think about this. Every FAILED fedgov program, becomes reason #1 for yet more programs, in a never-ending parade. Great news, if you work in DC, isn't it?

warpig883
    (1/19/02 9:42:48 am)
    They should not be in our country anyway. Why should they get a job. Throw them out and close the borders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.